Some Dog/pet Shots With My New Toy Fujifilm X-t1 - Feat. Striker!

Spoony

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally awesome, Spoony. The photographic talent on this forum is just amazing. Loved all the photographs and have to agree with Crazy about the one of the cat. Stunning.

Love your new "kid". I reckon he was just looking for something to eat, not the rest of his tail :laugh: :laugh:

cheers all.

I figure a bunch of dog/pet lovers would be the best to ask this, mind you it feels weird asking. It's pretty obvious I love shooting dogs/pets, and as I get a little more experience and a broader range of gear I'm considering making a business of it in the future (on the side for a while at least, how awesome would it be for a living! :) haha).

I guess would love to hear peoples thoughts from a pet owners perspective on how close some of the images are perhaps getting to what people may be willing to pay for. I print largeformat as my day job, which gives me the opportunity to offer a product range also at good pricing.

Quite a few have gone on from here to become professional photographers. Ruthless, Becandcharch, Huga, Serena, I'm sure there's plenty more.

The responses above are a fair portion of why I'd love to make a living (or part there of) out of it. Owners have such an awesome emotional attachment to their pets, capturing their spirit in time forever can mean so much. Oh and it's also heaps of fun. I current shoot for a few rescues to help out, bonus is some experience too.

Kirislin, some greats shots of your own! looking through your redbubble. Which is an interesting avenue I haven't considered and will look into. Have you had many buy your work on there?

While Ken from Zoo Studio kick started me shooting my two, looking further a-field and loving dogs in their 'natural' environment it's work from the likes of Charlotte Reeves, and as you mention Ruthless etc that's given me a level of direction and inspiration.

I dont promote my redbubble, haven't added a photo for a long time either. It's quite expensive now. I used to sell a few calendars but I gave all the money to the whippet racing club I'm involved with, so never made a cent myself. The markup isn't much anyway.

Spoony, I think your photos are great, you definitely have natural talent.

If you are considering making a career of pet photography, Charlotte and Ruth are running a workshop aimed at people exactly like you http://zoomiesworkshop.com.au/

There is one spot left in Brisbane, it's likely they won't run another workshop. As an added bonus Kaylee from Dog Breath Photography is coming over from the US to be the guest teacher too :thumbsup:

I have seen that, and super tempted. Are you going? So much knowledge there! Kaylee's shots made me think about not just getting a wide angle for the usual landscapes and architecture type stuff.

After Harv & Chilli's (my last two dogs with cancers) many $10k's expenses I've only sort of got my credit card and funds to a 1/2 ok level (well still spending money I don't have on camera gear haha). I should perhaps maybe look at it as an investment rather than an expense though.............hmmmmmm.

Charlotte does also do her own private workshops but as one would understand not for anyone considering setting up a similar business in her own backyard haha.

Edited by Spoony

I dont know if you even need a workshop like that. Funnily enough, I remember when Ruth was still learning and she posted photos of Charlotte Reeves work here and asked how does she get photos like that, and now they're working together. :laugh:

^ I was semi thinking the same thing. I think with more practice in shooting and post + some more gear (faster 2.8 tele zoom will get later this year for one, + some lighting stuff) can improve myself, experience, time and practice can't be replaced with simple 'knowledge' when it comes to photography.

It's managing the dogs and probably more so the owners (haha), somewhat being a movie director to get one one really wants is where the most practice is going to be needed. Need to use more friends and their dogs to get this happening haha.

In saying that I still have no doubt though that I'd learn heaps of little things (and not necessarily just technical)I hadn't even considered in such a workshop. The fun factor would probably be enough alone if stupid cash wasn't a concern lol.

Haha, that's a classic, bonus they probably have is living/working states apart and not really 'competing'. Charlotte's very active on social media and very open with info etc, which begs much respect when it's you're bread and butter.

Edited by Spoony

Went to the beach on the weekend with some friends and their Border Collie to get some pics. Hadn't shot a black and white dog before so was keen, Striker didn't really get much camera action at all haha. It was the first time he actually swam too and I didn't even get it snap it! lol.

Millie, 3 year old BC.

14292408798_ec6784a935_b.jpgMillie by dPphodography, on Flickr

14499126963_dff52c8379_b.jpgMillie by dPphodography, on Flickr

my favorite

14455906746_1d58a46611_b.jpgMillie by dPphodography, on Flickr

Edited by Spoony

Cheers :)

Oh that sucks SirSnook! Guessing you would have taken the X-T1 too?. Would have been interesting to hear thoughts/comments as I've little doubt it would be an SLR camp.

It would be pretty awesome, being sensible with funds are the only issue.

haha true. I'm hanging for the 50-140 2.8 (which will be $$$'s no doubt, 75-210mm equiv ). The XC 50-230mm is still sharp and clean, just slow, so once the lights fading it's not much chop, and really keen to be able to isolate subjects in a wide range of locations.

That lens wont be out till the end of the year apparently though, it would be really interesting seeing the X-T1 with that equivalent lens (be it probably lots cheaper and lighter than L glass)and how it holds up in the same shots/shooting style vs the big boys over multiple days, *ultimate test.

*I shall contact FujiFilm now and get them to sponsor me + provide pre-release lens to use! haha /dreaming.

You do have me looking at 'options' juggling funds now though. haha.

• 1 month later...

Haven't been on in a little bit, thought I'd update some pics of the boy and others. His 8 months and over 18kg now!

Image heavy sorry :)

A few pics of the trouble maker

14569006518_8a8765cb7a_b.jpgDSCF3271.jpg by dPphodography, on Flickr

14546434909_c89932f81f_b.jpgDSCF2374-Edit.jpg by dPphodography, on Flickr

14752628853_a68faec0b1_b.jpgStriker at King Island Wellington Point by dPphodography, on Flickr

14709751516_d38ed42fab_b.jpgStriker at king island wellington point by dPphodography, on Flickr

14709761656_74cc90f355_b.jpgStriker at king island wellington point by dPphodography, on Flickr

14732461362_d07f6d2257_b.jpgStriker at king island wellington point by dPphodography, on Flickr

14546106458_1d8cc54a22_b.jpgStriker at king island wellington point by dPphodography, on Flickr

14546092270_975f1315b3_b.jpgStriker at king island wellington point by dPphodography, on Flickr

I 'fixed' his tail in this one after comments from another dog owner whether I found him on Fraser Island haha (get these sort of comments a bit actually lol)

10380139_10151916581187465_4445511463677620827_o.jpg

Edited by Spoony

A few other dogs/shots too.

A rescue dog 'Jess'

14633451006_7f998b5671_b.jpgJess - Available for Adoption by dPphodography, on Flickr

A friends Staffy

14409145718_fa0b9ce9ce_b.jpgCuda @ Fingal Heads by dPphodography, on Flickr

14590110092_9bf6d3b785_b.jpgCuda @ Fingal Heads by dPphodography, on Flickr

14404162980_f9dd008596_b.jpgCuda @ Fingal Heads by dPphodography, on Flickr

14567792686_6bd52c134a_b.jpgCuda @ Fingal Heads by dPphodography, on Flickr

14404285879_f0beb41970_b.jpgCuda @ Fingal Heads by dPphodography, on Flickr

14404205630_b381d3ce08_b.jpgCuda @ Fingal Heads by dPphodography, on Flickr

Random horse wanted it's picture taken when I was out exploring with Striker

14775530323_08cda363e2_b.jpgRandom Horse happy to pose by dPphodography, on Flickr