Canon 60d

j

Just wondering what people think of the Canon 60D?

I have a 700D and have been thinking about getting the 100-400mm lens for taking photos of my sons sport and hopefully getting into a spot of birdwatching and getting some better photos than a little bit of colour that you can't identify in a mass of green.

So, I've been looking at 2nd hand lenses and there is currently one listed, that includes a 60D and other bits and pieces. The current listing price is only a little more than a brand new lens would cost, but I have no idea how much the 60D is worth.

it says there is a shutter count of 43,000

I wasn't particularly looking for a new camera, mine isn't even a year old, but this seems like a relatively good deal (at the current price, might not be by the end of it).

I've enrolled to do a DSLR course, which starts in a fortnight, as I'd like to start using a bit more than the auto settings. I did do photography back in college, with a "real" SLR, but I have forgotten pretty much everything I learnt - it was a long time ago now :laugh: . I even knew how to develop my own photos.

I know that the 60D is a level above what I currently have, but not sure what the upgrades are from my camera to that one.

Can anyone tell me what the differences are (in simple language - I don't know camera speak all that well :o ) and whether it is likely to be of any benefit to me to change?

ETA - I will continue looking for that particular lens, just thought that if this was a fantastic bargain, I might as well bid on it and get another camera too

ETA - there is also one listed with a 40D for even less. Anyone with any info about this?

Edited by j

Thanks for that info SSlF.

I forgot to come back and update.

I won the auction and already have the camera and lens. I wasn't particularly interested in the camera so much as the lens. The camera was just an extra that came with the lens, and if it was a better camera, I may have been tempted to keep it. My winning bid was less than what I can buy the lens for new (my original post was incorrect about the pricing), so I'm still happy with my purchase. I have a friend who may be interested in buying the camera, so I think it has been a win win situation.

I don't have any complaints with my 700D at all. I just need to learn how to use it to its full potential :o Hopefully the course I start next week will be worth it.

ETA - hopefully they will also include the benefits and best techniques for various lenses too - there are so many aspects of photography I want to improve on. Son's sport, birding, macro, general happy snaps.

Edited by j