Muzzled Greyhounds Attacked

DakotaJ

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi HazyWal, when I did the greenhound assessment it didnt cost that much, I think about $40 for the collar and the assessment was a $50 donation to GAP NSW. It might be worth saving up for, for Stan at least?

It's not the muzzling of greyhounds I have a problem with it's the fact that so many bloody dogs are roaming the streets. I could go through the process of getting my two greencollared but besides the fact I can't afford it Maddie wouldn't pass, her prey drive is insanely high and when you are dealing with the fastest dog on the planet I will take no chances, for her own safety first and foremost. Having said that when she was attacked muzzle or not she had no chance, yes she could seriously hurt a small dog if it was attacking her but with the breed of dogs that attacked her she wouldn't have a hope. Councils need to start fining people, it's a joke and I don't care what breed they are obey the damn law!

Exactly... Well said HazyWal.

The only thing about the muzzle is the fact that a muzzled dog/Grey CAN NOT defend themself if set upon by a roaming, aggressive dog. Sure Greys are extremely fast but if walking in suburbia, & they are set upon you can't just let them off & run away from the predator. Just like lambs to the slaughter :(

Bottom line. I don't care either what breed the roaming dog is either. Obey the damn law !! Councils need to step up ASAP to fine these careless owners. They make walking your dog at times & doing all the rights things by law a bloody nightmare.

Edited by BC Crazy

Bottom line. I don't care either what breed the roaming dog is either. Obey the damn law !! Councils need to step up ASAP to fine these careless owners. They make walking your dog at times & doing all the rights things by law a bloody nightmare.

Yes, agree to this wholeheartedly. One of the reasons I don't walk my dog around the streets in my area anymore after being rushed so many times. I wouldn't have a chance in hell fending off angry dogs who mean business in an attack.

How many times does the scenario in the news article have to happen before councils take sterner action towards idiots who break the law.

How many times does the scenario in the news article have to happen before councils take sterner action towards idiots who break the law.

They will continue to mouth platitudinous claptrap whilst doing nothing until it starts to hurt their budgets and that can only happen when someone appears with the funds to take them to court and to pursue them unrelentingly.

And when they start to get hurt at the ballot box. This again needs someone with the funds together with the physical and emotional energy to mount a campaign of public awareness.

From ABC news:

Police say the terrier has been seized and its 57-year-old owner is expected to face legal action.

Good.

Yes, and I hope whoever mounts the legal action can take it to its fullest extent and with maximum publicity.

I have not read the article - too many horrible stories :cry:. However, the title was enough to bring HazyWal's recent agonising experience and ongoing saga with the council to mind and to hope that she, Stan and Maddie continue to heal. (But maintain the rage :thumbsup: )

It annoys me when they pluck random breed names out of thin air.

I am glad they have the dog and he is going to face a heft fine. Lets hope HW's council gets a flare up their backside and does the right thing.

A girl whose muzzled greyhound was killed here on the Central Coast in the same circumstance sent me a link to this story this morning. The injuries to the man's knee was the wire on one of the greys muzzles was embedded in his knee such was the ferocity of this attack. After my own greys getting attacked last month this makes me feel physically sick :cry:

This is one reason I no longer use wire muzzles. I've never had a nylon basket muzzle break and even if it did, fairly thick plastic won't do as much damage.

Whether the greyhound is muzzled or not, I don't think it makes a difference; they're a tall, leggy dog (with a very exposed throat and thin skin) that aren't really built to defend themselves. If there's no hope of defending the dog yourself, a greyhound's best chance is probably to run. Letting a grey offlead brings with it other risks and weighing up the risks/benefits in a situation like that would be hard but personally, I don't think I could bear to see any of my dogs being torn to pieces in front of me- I'd rather slip the lead and give them a shot at getting away.

I suppose another option is to carry something to defend with. Pepper spray or telescopic batons might not be legal but plenty of other things are.

male Staffordshire terrier...originally said the dog was a pit bull.

The only way I could tell a pitbull from an American Staffordshire Terrier is with a bit of ANKC paper and a photo in an ANKC affiliated journal.

You can legally carry fly repellent spray on walks. I always carry the roll on but maybe I should upgrade.

I always have a pocket knife buried in my gear too. Bugger the illegal to carry. How am I supposed to cut up an apple or bit of tough steak without one or cut some rope that gets tangled around my dog or cut a cable tie or remove a splinter or render first aid without one?

Flick knife - should be illegal but an ordinary swiss army knife - they're crap in a knife fight. You could probably do more damage with a stick.

Hi HazyWal, when I did the greenhound assessment it didnt cost that much, I think about $40 for the collar and the assessment was a $50 donation to GAP NSW. It might be worth saving up for, for Stan at least?

Hi brintey sorry I just saw this.

I'm moving to Victoria soon so I think I would have to have it re-done when I move anyway.

Hi brintey sorry I just saw this.

I'm moving to Victoria soon so I think I would have to have it re-done when I move anyway.

if you are at all tempted in getting a green collar for at least Stan, then find out if the collars are transferable. It will cost you more then that in Vic and the dog has to board at GAP for a few days while they assess them.

The wonderful Denise Wigney from GAP did my assessment, it was at St Ives Showground and it took an hour or so from memory. She is very experienced with greyhounds!

Yes Denise has assessed quite a few greys that I know.

Rebanne I might look into it for Stan, I'm confident he'd pass but Maddie...no way. They never used to be transferable but it may have changed so I'll check it out, thanks :)

Edited by HazyWal

I think there should be a minimum dog to ranger ratio for a council area. There should also be a certain basic infrastructure to back up the rangers. The rangers in my area are really good but they have nowhere to take stray dogs after hours. When we recently caught a roamer attacking chooks in our garden the vet that doubles as a pound was closed.

Dogs roaming is a life threatening issue, it's time it was taken seriously.

I think there should be a minimum dog to ranger ratio for a council area. There should also be a certain basic infrastructure to back up the rangers. The rangers in my area are really good but they have nowhere to take stray dogs after hours. When we recently caught a roamer attacking chooks in our garden the vet that doubles as a pound was closed.

Dogs roaming is a life threatening issue, it's time it was taken seriously.

Does your local pound not have night cages? We have two council pounds and the RSPCA on the Central Coast and all three have after hours cages that people can drop animals off in.

Nope, we don't have a pound, there's a vet who is supposed to act as the pound but they close at 5 . First dog we caught stayed in the laundry overnight. Second one managed to break through the closed dog door, was recaptured and put in the bathroom. There was no way we could hold him overnight, he would have chewed the house. I ended up taking him to a different vet who promptly handed him back to his owner. The ranger managed to track him down despite him being unregistered. I felt bad about reporting him but reading all these reports I'm pretty glad I did. He was an entire male, he had a go at Tubby but seemed fine with people. I'm hoping the fine encouraged the owners to sort out some fencing and maybe I saved someone else's dog.

Edited by hankdog

Never feel bad about reporting more people need to. I reported a jack russell running around the soccer oval yesterday while the owner and kid were kicking the ball and they never once looked at this dog, this is the third time I've seen them. The dog isn't aggressive but it runs around annoying people and crapping in the middle of the oval which is never picked up. Once again our walk was cut short and we came home, sick to death of it. I told the ranger I will be ringing every time I see an off lead dog which around here will be every day. Our local lost and found Facebook page is full of escapees, a large majority are bull breeds and the owners are like "oh yeah he gets out all the time" :mad