Glow/led Collars - Safety

Hi all, I don't know if this belongs here in this section, but does anyone know of a good glow in the dark or led dog collar and leash.

My dogs and I do a lot of early morning and late evening runs and am looking for something that really glows and stands out. We live in a rural area I wear a head torch, but want something glowy for the dogs so they too will stand out for safety (both dogs are dark one is black, the other dark chocolate).

I have used a little flashing led (from a pet store) that was clipped to the dogs collar but am looking for more the leash and collar combo.

I have seen a few things online, but have no idea how reputable they are or how comfortable the collar actually is - so if anyone has used one or knows of a good brand please let me know :)

Steve from K9 Pro was advertising a LED collar light recently but if you and the dog really want to stand out you should be looking online for a high visibility harness or vest preferably with reflective stripes for the dog and similar high vis clothing from an industrial workwear shop for yourself. Perhaps if you post in the General forum you might get more responses.

Yes I saw those & was wondering what they'd be like. I was thinking f using them when e are camping as can't keep watch on them all the time like I usually do as I just can't see them after dark.

Which collar light did you have? Some are better than others which is what I found when looking for which brand to stock. the ones we have are visible from 1000 ft away so are quite powerful. I've seen the collars and leads too, but most of our customers want something to attach to their existing collars so I just stuck with the lights and LED balls. However, by all reports the collars are very safe to use, I would only be wary if you have dogs that like to grab onto each others necks in play as it may damage the collar.

I have been using the Spot Lit LED collar lights heaps now DLS is over, very useful for my little beagle who likes to forage through the bushes etc if I take her out at night.

Edited by huski

Steve from K9 Pro was advertising a LED collar light recently but if you and the dog really want to stand out you should be looking online for a high visibility harness or vest preferably with reflective stripes for the dog and similar high vis clothing from an industrial workwear shop for yourself. Perhaps if you post in the General forum you might get more responses.

Thanks for the tip! I'll pop this over in the general forum also :)

I have tried the dogs in a high viz harness - they don't run well In harnesses though, and a vest and again they don't like to run in it :( I don't know if that's all dogs or just mine though. We do about 10-14k's though and I found in the vest they seem to get a little more hot too.

a collar I think will have the added bonus of being able to leave it on them all the time - which will be great for when they are out in the back paddok having a run :)

Yes I saw those & was wondering what they'd be like. I was thinking f using them when e are camping as can't keep watch on them all the time like I usually do as I just can't see them after dark.

He he another bonus camping I'd forgotten about that. I was thinking about being able to see them running the back paddock, never even thought of the camping aspect!

Which collar light did you have? Some are better than others which is what I found when looking for which brand to stock. the ones we have are visible from 1000 ft away so are quite powerful. I've seen the collars and leads too, but most of our customers want something to attach to their existing collars so I just stuck with the lights and LED balls. However, by all reports the collars are very safe to use, I would only be wary if you have dogs that like to grab onto each others necks in play as it may damage the collar.

I have been using the Spot Lit LED collar lights heaps now DLS is over, very useful for my little beagle who likes to forage through the bushes etc if I take her out at night.

Hmm I can't remember the name..... It came in black packaging wih a dog on it and looked like a climbing carrabena with an LED attached. Another problem with the one I had is it would work for a while then switch itself off after about 10-15minutes which isn't so great when you need it of for a longer period of time he he.

I'll have to check out the spot lit one you mentioned. Does it have an inbuilt timer thing that auto switches off after a period of time?

The collar lights we stock don't have timers but they don't switch off after a set time. I've left them on for hours. You have to press down quite firmly to turn it on and off so it doesn't turn off itself when the dog is running around. I've been really impressed with the quality.

The collar lights we stock don't have timers but they don't switch off after a set time. I've left them on for hours. You have to press down quite firmly to turn it on and off so it doesn't turn off itself when the dog is running around. I've been really impressed with the quality.

I'll check them out then! Pardon my ignorance Huski but do you have a store or are you online?

I'll check them out then! Pardon my ignorance Huski but do you have a store or are you online?

Hey Lexi, we are just an online store. I'll PM you some info :)

Hey Lexi, we are just an online store. I'll PM you some info :)

That would be great! I'll check out all your gear, do a spot of shopping while I'm there!

Gee, I'd be reluctant to let my dog run free at a campsite, especially after dark and especially for a high activity breed like a BC. I think there's too much risk that the dog would take off after a roo or fox, pick up a 1080 bait or even get shot by a hunter like that unfortunate husky in Victoria (that was in daylight).

You may want to consider getting your dog a GPS tracking collar if he/she is going to go out of sight after dark.

Gee, I'd be reluctant to let my dog run free at a campsite, especially after dark and especially for a high activity breed like a BC. I think there's too much risk that the dog would take off after a roo or fox, pick up a 1080 bait or even get shot by a hunter like that unfortunate husky in Victoria (that was in daylight).

You may want to consider getting your dog a GPS tracking collar if he/she is going to go out of sight after dark.

Sorry, but I was thinking the same thing :( I have LED collars for my two that switch onto 3 different modes & just use them if I am walking them in the dark or at dusk. They are fairly easily obtainable. I bought a whole box full for prizes for our dog club.

Oh just wanted to clarify. We camp on a property in at the foothills of a mountain range. When the sun goes down you cant see your hand in front of your face. I let my girl off leash to go to the loo as she wont go on lead sometimes. She doesn't run away as such but I cant see where she is at times. I have stood on her countless times as she tends to hang behind me. I just don't let my guys off leash any old where. Only right near our caravan. I wouldn't let them disturb other campers either. I never take risks with my dogs. They are just too precious...

I've just ordered 2 clear collar lights off K9 Pro for both my guys. Will post an update after the June long w.end as we are going camping so will give them a trial run then.

Edited by BC Crazy