Eosinophilic Granuloma

Hi all,

Thanks for the input.. I have been busy running around 'babysitting' guests who is visiting.. Yes they are still around and I am only able to get to this post now.

The blood test came back with nothing wrong and the vet will be sending off to SASH to see what else we can proceed further.

Will keep everyone update with the progress!

Not sure if this is in anyway helpful (i do love the sound of my own voice).

My older dog has some immune type response to foods she is intolerant to. It seemed to be manageable until recently - I'm not sure what tipped the scale exactly.

I'd been to the vet repeatedly as she had recurrent ear infections and loose, jelly like bloody stools. But the vet (i saw 4 different people at the same practice) just shrugged it off as 'getting old' related.

One evening i noticed she had a swollen breast/nipple.. by the next day it was the size of a golf ball, red, hot and pus filled.. She did not have a temperature.

So naturally we race to the vet for antibiotics. The 'swollen' ball actually burst the following day and slowly went away. But then a few days later a pea size pus filled ball appeared on her eyelid..

I was just fortunate to have 2 kids home with gastro, do couldn't rush to the vet and potentially infect everyone. Being stuck at home forced me to - stop - think - heal my darling girl from the inside.

So I got some Probiotics. Put Aloe vera in with her water. And went back to square one with her food to be sure I could eliminate whatever was causing her body to have this response.

Within a week - I had a completely different dog. All the lumps disappeared, she was more alert, happy etc.

Since then i have started feeding her - taste of the wild - salmon/fish based, grain free dry food and she's had no reaction at all.

Anyway- sorry for the essay. I'm trying to say - sometimes it helps to stop, go back to square one and follow your own instinct rather than reacting.

Good luck.

thanks for the info!! May I know what brand of Aloe Vera you get and how did you come by the right dosage for you dog?

Guest crazydoglady99

I don't think you can over do it with aloe vera.

You can buy 'liquid aloe' at the supermarket in the health food isle - I used the same theory as using vinegar in water and went for 1 part aloe for 10 parts water.

If you have a small breed and are giving it straight in the mouth - I would keep it at say 2-3 mls per 5kg.

I don't think you can over do it with aloe vera.

You can buy 'liquid aloe' at the supermarket in the health food isle - I used the same theory as using vinegar in water and went for 1 part aloe for 10 parts water.

If you have a small breed and are giving it straight in the mouth - I would keep it at say 2-3 mls per 5kg.

thanks for the info. Will definitely check out the Health Food isle. I think I saw one the other day in Coles!

Did you tried for few months before seeing result? Can this be given for months?

Ulcerative eosinophilic stomatitis

May I ask what were her symptoms & which antibiotics was she put on?

just swelling and ulceration at the back of her throat. It got quite bad as her breath stinks due to the ulceration that looks like having yellow pus in it. Then bouts of antibiotics and predisolone helps to tame it down. but couldn't get her to fully recover.. so now it seems just very inflamed red ulceration only.

I need to find a more natural way to heal her rather than the continuous of medication for months.. ! frown.gif Too many type of antibiotics that she tried and couldn't remember..

So now I'm at wits as not sure what to do or where to go..

ChewieTAG, I feel like that too after several weeks of consultations with vet at SASH.

AnimalLover99 has mentioned aloevera and it was mentioned to me by DOLer Steve and so I am about to PM her as to what she might recommend for my dog.

My dog has different symptoms from your little one, but heaps of medications and virtually no appetite.

Perhaps draw Steve's attention to this thread??

thanks Dame Danny Darling.

Did you managed to find out what recommendation for your dog? smile.gif

I will be shopping for some Aloe Vera juice later. Will see if I can find any good ones. She is rather small (5kg) so I think as AnimalLover99 mentioned about 3ml will do.

I have my bottle of Aloe Vera, already opened and Danny dosed. I decided to err on the side of caution and gave him 2.5mls. He is now happily chewing on a dried roo tail bone. Think I'm going to cry............. with happiness.

oh what is the brand that you've got?

just swelling and ulceration at the back of her throat. It got quite bad as her breath stinks due to the ulceration that looks like having yellow pus in it. Then bouts of antibiotics and predisolone helps to tame it down. but couldn't get her to fully recover.. so now it seems just very inflamed red ulceration only.

I need to find a more natural way to heal her rather than the continuous of medication for months.. ! frown.gif Too many type of antibiotics that she tried and couldn't remember..

My vet said get 1 carafate tablet & add water to make a slurry & put in syringe..the Carafate lines their throat & stomach but has to be given on an empty stomach 1 hour before feeding, the predisone made my boys stomach acid worse, but they were the tablets not the liquid steriods that are normally given & the Losec made his poos greenie/black & sloppy so I stopped the Losec now he's back to doing his swollowing & licking like his throat is sore again, I think I need to have the camera put down his throat to see whats happening as the meds aren't helping... the Metronidazole stopped the bad breath...I'm using Zantac again its not as strong as Losec for the stomach acid, with the Zantac his poos stay normal..

The aloe Vera I bought (from health food shop) is Lifestream Biogenic.

Danny is 5.5kgs and I am giving him about 5mls per day. He is also on Carafate which at first I was mixing with water to make a syringable slurry. I now mix 1/2 tablet with 2.5mls of aloe vera twice a day. I did check with my vet first that this was okay.

I haven't noticed any difference yet :cry: , but it is early days.

Vet took more blood for tests on Danny on Friday when he boarded there for the day as I had to go to Qld for a funeral. I will be making an appointment tomorrow for updates.

I hope everyone here starts to get results from all the meds their dogs are on. :grouphug:

It is such an emotional roller coaster and so distressing when there doesn't seem to be anything more to do to make them feel better. :cry::cry:

My vet said get 1 carafate tablet & add water to make a slurry & put in syringe..the Carafate lines their throat & stomach but has to be given on an empty stomach 1 hour before feeding, the predisone made my boys stomach acid worse, but they were the tablets not the liquid steriods that are normally given & the Losec made his poos greenie/black & sloppy so I stopped the Losec now he's back to doing his swollowing & licking like his throat is sore again, I think I need to have the camera put down his throat to see whats happening as the meds aren't helping... the Metronidazole stopped the bad breath...I'm using Zantac again its not as strong as Losec for the stomach acid, with the Zantac his poos stay normal..

now it's coming back to me the antibiotic names ..

She was on the cavulox for 2 weeks and it's not helping much although it stop from getting worst. Her breath still stinks badly. Then she was put on Metronidazole for 2 weeks with the Predisolone and the breath goes away, but couldn't get better. So she was put on Antirobe (antibiotics for gum disease or something) another few weeks. After that we were referred to SASH for biopsy and blood test. That's when she was diagnose with the Ulcerative eosinophilic stomatitis... frown.gif

This is when SASH put her on a longer term Predisolone with Antirobe. It gets a bit better but still has the swell with inflamed coloring. She goes through second biopsy and blood test to make sure we are still on the right track. Results came back the same so she was put off the Predisolone and then she is put on a new antibiotic Doxycycline which also has some kinda anti-inflamed property. She is with this new antibiotic for 2 months now. She had her third blood test a week ago and came back good. Nothing in particular. So now I need to catch the busy vet in SASH (whole week couldn't get a hold of him) to discuss about putting her on a certain diet. Vet thinks she might be allergy to something.

Sigh.. I am emotionally tired and too much heart ache by feeding her all the medications!!! frown.gif

I hope everyone here starts to get results from all the meds their dogs are on. :grouphug:

It is such an emotional roller coaster and so distressing when there doesn't seem to be anything more to do to make them feel better. :cry::cry:

Just went out to get the same brand lol laugh.gif

I will contact my vet to ask him about it. Hopefully he sees no issue with my little girl having it.

Hopefully it helps her on it. I did gave her on some of the Manuka Honey active +20.. which certainly helps with the stomach acidic due to too much Predisolone, but the honey gives her a bit more softy poo so I took her off it.

Oh gosh, I absolutely hope that our dogs will get so much better after all these medication! frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif I need my little girl to get better ~~~ frown.gif