Diy Import

My occupation involves project management so I've decided to manage my dogs import myself. I was outraged at the third party fees I was getting quoted. The process seems trivial to me having organised things on far larger scales. Has anyone else done this? AQIS website is excellent and the time tabling is very useful (I would have done it myself anyway but one less thing to do). Has anyone else done it before without an agent?

Also no visiting is allowed with new 10 day quarantine (is this correct). And to groom I have to pay for a supervised visit at around $160 and hour! Or am I misinformed? I tempted to shave the pooch at that cost!

no you are not misinformed, you cannot visit and anything extra that you want like this is being charged for. Totally disgusting

I had been going to orgnaise a cat import all myself, but the thought of one thing being wrong with the paperwork and it all going astray decided me against it. And just as well, as no one had noticed until the vet paperwork was being done just prior to export that the annual vaccination had not been done, and needed to be done and an extra 14 days added to the overseas stay before import could begin - agent was able t0o alter AQIS dates, airline freight bookings etc all easily - I would have been majorly stressed if I had had to contact everyone to do this

My occupation involves project management so I've decided to manage my dogs import myself. I was outraged at the third party fees I was getting quoted. The process seems trivial to me having organised things on far larger scales. Has anyone else done this? AQIS website is excellent and the time tabling is very useful (I would have done it myself anyway but one less thing to do). Has anyone else done it before without an agent?

Also no visiting is allowed with new 10 day quarantine (is this correct). And to groom I have to pay for a supervised visit at around $160 and hour! Or am I misinformed? I tempted to shave the pooch at that cost!

I was under the impression these were new changes. I wonder if other might have had a chance to try an import by themselves as yet?

If you are able to micro-manage the overseas parties, you may be fine. Thinking of hassles with two imports I would wonder.

I personally would go with an agent - they know the rules. Having said that, the info on the DAFF site is full and - as you work in the PM area - you are probably fine to project manage the import yourself.

You are right about the grooming appointments at $40 per 30 mins, and you are right about the new 10 day quarantime (from most countries). The 10 days will increase if there is an issue with something in the paperwork, eg my dog's tick preventative applications were one day further apart than allowed, so he was there for 3.5 weeks instead of 10 days. At the time (at $39 per day) this cost us a further $900 for the extra days and the re-test fee.

However, as of 1 July this year, the daily fee is going up to $149 per day.

I was under the impression these were new changes. I wonder if other might have had a chance to try an import by themselves as yet?

If you are able to micro-manage the overseas parties, you may be fine. Thinking of hassles with two imports I would wonder.

I'm quite fortunate the breeder is also an engineer and project manager so we talk on the same wavelength and I have total confidence in them. They have also exported before so they are familiar with the process. I may need to use a third party through LAX to transfer the dog between flights on the way to Melbourne. Sadly I will be after the proposed cost changed so I'm majorly pissed off that I have to pay to groom my own dog. I'll probably run the gauntlet and see what I can get away with. I did speak with the AQIS staff at spotswood who were lovely and said they would contact me if their messiness became out of hand. The dog will be going 3 or 4 more days than I'd like without a bath. Hopefully they don't poop in the crate!

no you are not misinformed, you cannot visit and anything extra that you want like this is being charged for. Totally disgusting

I had been going to orgnaise a cat import all myself, but the thought of one thing being wrong with the paperwork and it all going astray decided me against it. And just as well, as no one had noticed until the vet paperwork was being done just prior to export that the annual vaccination had not been done, and needed to be done and an extra 14 days added to the overseas stay before import could begin - agent was able t0o alter AQIS dates, airline freight bookings etc all easily - I would have been majorly stressed if I had had to contact everyone to do this

That's just another day at work lol!

I have done both - done it myself, and used an agent. Even with a cluey exporter breeder, which I had last time I imported, and the fact that I work in a border related business myself, I was glad we had an agent. You only have to stuff up one thing with the vaccinations/treatments and the records to blow your whole timeframe and then you are really relying on the indulgence of the exporter or your own bank balance to board the dog for the extra time. The problem is not the countries of origin most of the time, it's our own requirements that require deft handling. The main thing with choosing an agent is choosing a good one - the good ones are worth their weight in gold, the bad ones - well, with those you'll be on the same level doing it yourself.

I have done both - done it myself, and used an agent. Even with a cluey exporter breeder, which I had last time I imported, and the fact that I work in a border related business myself, I was glad we had an agent. You only have to stuff up one thing with the vaccinations/treatments and the records to blow your whole timeframe and then you are really relying on the indulgence of the exporter or your own bank balance to board the dog for the extra time. The problem is not the countries of origin most of the time, it's our own requirements that require deft handling. The main thing with choosing an agent is choosing a good one - the good ones are worth their weight in gold, the bad ones - well, with those you'll be on the same level doing it yourself.

+1

You stuff up one piece of paperwork no matter how slight and the dog can stay in the country of departure for another six months.

One test even one day out can cause a delay and all tests may have to be repeated.

I am looking to import myself very soon. Has anyone thought of or looked into insurance to cover the dog whilst it is there and in transit? If so any advice woul dbe welcomed. I'm sure the original poster might welcome some ideas as well. Cheers :)

+1

You stuff up one piece of paperwork no matter how slight and the dog can stay in the country of departure for another six months.

One test even one day out can cause a delay and all tests may have to be repeated.

That made me shiver in memory.

Took heaps of phone calls AND help from a Vet we did not even know to get to the plane on time.

The error? Incorrect name.

It's such a nerve wracking time I would not risk glitchs. ( That's me , of course).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a pup coming in next month, very excited. The breeder has done it before but nearly got caught out with all the changes. We have someone organising flights, etc.

Bit cranky about the quarantine fees increase... DAFF have released new fees increase only in mid-May...

"The department is reviewing five biosecurity cost recovered arrangements that will result in some fee adjustments commencing 1 July 2014. The review is necessary to return the department’s cost recovery arrangement to a sustainable footing and to ensure continued compliance with the government's cost recovery policy and guidelines.

Four of the five reviews have been completed. The department is now implementing the new rates of charge for these biosecurity services."

From what I can gather fees have increased for dog/cats etc., but looks like the horse industry might have "blocked" an increase in their fees???

- daily fee for dogs have gone from $39/day to $149/day!!! Cats up from 29 to 149... :eek:

I have my boy already insured with normal petplan, they didn't ask about where the dog was? I haven't read the product disclosure cover to cover, I hope he is still covered?