Cat Saves Child From Dog Attack

Aidan3

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was horrified by how quickly it all happened and amazed at the cats response. So thankful that the little boys injuries were not worse. I found the original uploader and below is part of the description on his video answering why the Mum did what she did.

Question: Why did the mom run away?

Answer: After checking his wounds she made sure the dog did not return for a second attempt. The owners were there also and she was bit by the dog as she tried to pin him in his yard. The owners did get control of the dog and secured him in which she immediately returned to attending to our son. I did not include that video because it was not so much about the dog but about the cats actions. 

Aidan I can see the dog is focused on the bike/leg movement under the car but why did he go for the leg, not the bike? How early could you tell the dog was a danger? I wouldn't have known until damage was being done :(

I too was wondering why the Mum ran off. We now have an explanation for this. Still I wonder why the person taking the video didn't run to help the child but instead, kept on filming.

What an incredible cat.

I too was wondering why the Mum ran off. We now have an explanation for this. Still I wonder why the person taking the video didn't run to help the child but instead, kept on filming.

What an incredible cat.

They're fixed outdoor security cameras. No one was filming.

I seriously am so impressed with this cat. I've watched the footage so many times. What a badass.

The dog's intent was horrible - that was serious and if no one was there to intervene it could have been a really, really bad attack.

What an incredible cat.

They're fixed outdoor security cameras. No one was filming.

I seriously am so impressed with this cat. I've watched the footage so many times. What a badass.

The dog's intent was horrible - that was serious and if no one was there to intervene it could have been a really, really bad attack.

Aha! thank you for that melzawelza. I didn't think of the fixed security camera. They say the mother also got bitten by the the dog when she tried to put it in its yard.

Hopefully the video might persuade irresponsible dog owners to keep their dogs confined.

What a hero that cat is.

Aidan I can see the dog is focused on the bike/leg movement under the car but why did he go for the leg, not the bike? How early could you tell the dog was a danger? I wouldn't have known until damage was being done :(

It was predatory stalking, and legs are a natural target as taking the leg out immobilises the prey. There isn't any sound on the video, but the silence is a bit of a give away, coupled with the intensity.

It can be hard, though. Toby, my GSD, stalks other dogs when he sees them at a distance. At first it is hard to figure out what he's doing, but it quickly turns into calming or play signals (which most people miss, so I usually call him to me if we don't know them).

It was predatory stalking, and legs are a natural target as taking the leg out immobilises the prey. There isn't any sound on the video, but the silence is a bit of a give away, coupled with the intensity.

It can be hard, though. Toby, my GSD, stalks other dogs when he sees them at a distance. At first it is hard to figure out what he's doing, but it quickly turns into calming or play signals (which most people miss, so I usually call him to me if we don't know them).

The dog that attacked me and my dog acted in the same manner. It is very scary. There was no growling or snarling. No hackles up. Just trot across the road and bang.

love the fact that dog was caught on camera - I have watched it a few times..just to see that change in body stance as teh 'switch' goes straight into hunt . Dog stops fractionally to size up target - then dives onto that leg ... I do hope millions watch it and see just what their doggies are capable of .

:) love that cat .....as I love guard cats in general :)

There was no growling or snarling. No hackles up. Just trot across the road and bang.

and IMHO this is why people are so shocked - they do not see any sign . :(

Dig is focussed and not agitated ,or doing a threat display ... dog just knows exactly what it is doing ..so keeps that head down ..backbone nice & secure ..and saves its energy for the bite.

. It is very scary. There was no growling or snarling. No hackles up.

:o I was caught out once like this - with a VERY large bull terrier , who I was photographing ..luckily he was on a chain ..and I had room to step back as it lunged :( I just didn't read him correctly ..