Cat Saves Child From Dog Attack

Aidan3

I just saw on television (Channel 10?), a follow up to the story. Only caught a bit... but it showed the little boy now safe in his home, patting his cat. The voice-over said the puss is being hailed as a hero.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still can't get over the cat's behaviour, just incredible especially how effective it was on a dog in full prey drive.

Might need to start carrying a loaded cat on our walks :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Glad the little boy is OK.

We had a male tabby cat when I was a kid who used to chase dogs out of our yard. Once when my sisters and I were little, we were playing in the front yard and 2 dogs came running through our (open) front gates. As we ran up the front stairs to get away, our cat shot out like lightning and scared them off, hissing and scratching.

He was badass. Good ol' Sugarplum. :laugh:

Wow! Does anyone know if it is common for cats to protect people? That cat was very determined.

I don't think its too unusual, I've known a few cats who were quite protective of their 'pride'(?) and if their people or other pets are included in that, then they get the same. Brilliant footage, and cat tho'!! And a very lucky little boy.

The best I saw was a large black Lab. who stuck his raging head in a cat door under a house, where a mother cat had kittens.Mum was behind him. A tiny little black thing barely a kitten herself. She Screamed, leap on his back with back arched and tail upright clawing into him with all feet at once. The dog yelled and reefed his head out of the hole and ran circles with the cat riding him till he took off out of the yard. :laugh:

Edited by moosmum

The first time the footage captures the dog, it's body language was quite alarming. What was extremely disturbing was how still the child was (and unaware of the dog) when the dog launched at his leg. I wonder if the child was vocalising - not ANY excuse for the dog's behaviour but determining motivation can be educational. I wonder whether the dog had been used for hunting.

The cat was simply amazing. Cats are EXTREMELY good at bluffing dogs but his timing was just extraordinary. And the way he just kept chasing the dog!!! Talk about lucky.

My mum had a cat that definitely had the potential to do similar.

A person turned up knocked on the door came. After a period of time mum said oh no did you bring your dogs, he said oh shit I forgot you have cats.

The dogs had killed feral cats in the past.

We went outside to see two dogs in the corner of the yard with bloody noses and a cat sitting three feet away cleanng her ears.

She also would not let mum smack us if she was there. On more than one occasion she put herself between us and mum and stood three quarters on, hackles up hissing. Interestingly she was mums cat.

That dog definitely meant business, it was straight in, no posturing, no walking around or perimeter walking. Straight in. I think that child would have been severely injured had that cat not been there.

As hard as it would have been for her to leave her child she certainly used her common sense in getting the dog contained as I would have been very worried the dog would have comeback again. I don't think I could have remained that level headed

Edited by OSoSwift

There used to be a big black cat in our street that would sit in wait in the hedge for me to walk past with my dogs and launch itself at them.

Used to scare the life out of me, and since then my dally has hated cats with a passion. :laugh:

That dog really meant business.

I also like how after the cat saw the dog off, he ran back under the car towards the child. I think if that dog had of come back, kitty was ready for round two!

This tabby followed the family home 6 years ago from a local park.

She's named Tara!!

Quite a special cat

:thumbsup:

I think it must be reasonably common, as a child my cat chased an aggressive dog away from me when it came in to our rear yard when I was out on the swing set. I was on the swing and my cat(russian blue) was sitting next to me, dog came up growling and Nougat turned in to a whirlwind of claws and chased him off! She also chased a neighbourhood cat away from our 3 week old chickens once and then came back to make sure they were ok LOL She was a seriously weird cat. :laugh: