Registration Papers

vanillan

When we refer to dogs' "papers" and we are talking about ANKC, it is actually 1 piece of paper. It is a Certified Pedigree.

It will have such details as -

* the current registered owners name, address, and their Dogs Vic (or other state body) membership number

* the dog's breed, registered name and registration number

* the dog's microchip number

* the dog's sex

* the dog's date of birth

* the dog's color

Then it shows the 3 generation parental lineage (pedigree) on both sides, sire and dam

* the dog's breeder, their registration number

* the date the dog is registered and the date the Certified Pedigree (paper) is issued

I will pm you an example of this paper so you can see what one looks like :)

As explained by others, the reverse is the ownership transfer form. This Pedigree or paper if you like belongs with the dog.

The color of this Pedigree will depend on whether the dog/pup is registered on the main or limit register. The papers of the parents of your pup should be on Blue paper (if they are registered in Victoria) and this will indicate that they are on the main register.

If they are not on main register, they should not be bred from in accordance with their state body Code of Ethics.

Note, Dogs Victoria/VCA are the state kennel club for Vic just as Dogs NSW are for their state and so on. All the state kennel clubs operate under the ANKC, which is the governing body of all the state kennel clubs.

When you become a member, you are a member of your state kennel club. Your state kennel club is a member of the ANKC.

The whole thing can get so confusing when we are new, but you are doing a brilliant job of keeping up and researching. Good on you!! :)

Also note, when we talk of breed specific health testing, these tests are carried out on the parents of the pup you are purchasing, typically not the pup itself by 8 weeks of age.

Vaccination/s, microchipping, worming and general health checking should have definitely been carried out on the pup.

Edited by Starkehre

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also note, when we talk of breed specific health testing, these tests are carried out on the parents of the pup you are purchasing, typically not the pup itself by 8 weeks of age.

Vaccination/s, microchipping, worming and general health checking should have definitely been carried out on the pup.

and on this note as I am currently doing this; do not be afraid or a carrier x clear breeding. What this means for a puppy is it may be a carrier of a testable disease. It will have no impact on the health or well being of said pup. If a pet pup is a carrier it is no biggie as pet pups shouldn't be bred from. If a potential breeding pup is a carrier then yes, it is important to know your dog's status before breeding and the status of the dog it is being bred to. Carrier dogs are not affected but breed them to another carrier then you will get some affected pups and that is not fair to either pup or owner.

If you're buying an ANKC registered pup from an ANKC breeder, I would be asking for the registration certificate with the transfer signed over to you. To nee that means if you decide later that you want to do performance disciplines with the digg, the dog is already registered. In snug case, I would be expecting to have at last a 3 generation pedigree...parents, grandparents, great grandparents.

For my younger boy, I have his breeder as the second contact on the microchip papers ..I've done the same with my new kittens.

Depending when the breeder registers the litter, there may be a wait of a couple of weeks for the ANKC papers to come though to you. The bree may have waited until the litter were at least 8 weeks old to make a decision about which pups were sufficiently promising to be put on the Main Register.

At last in some states now, the Limited Register (pink) pedigree certificates hand stamped across then Not for Breeding or Export.

It is always buyer beware

yes and no.

helps if buyer knows their consumer rights and are clear about what they expect or understand by "registered" and "purebred" etc.

Straight up if they think they're buying a show dog and they tell the seller that - then the seller sells them a puppy with no ANKC papers - that seller is commiting fraud.

It's not really about whether they're "technically" telling the truth - it's about what "any reasonable member of the public" would understand by their ad.

Which of course is a joy for lawyers, but the enforcement of "Australian consumer law" is starting to be applied to puppy vendors. Especially pet shops. But to some extent - anyone who puts an ad in writing on gumtree or the trading post or email - could also be subject to it.

This is the WA take on it.

http://www.commerce....uying_a_pet.pdf

Well you see that's not true either - Just because you cant put the dog in an ANKC affiliated show doesnt mean you cant show the dog anywhere else.

When we refer to dogs' "papers" and we are talking about ANKC, it is actually 1 piece of paper. It is a Certified Pedigree.

* the current registered owners name, address, and their Dogs Vic (or other state body) membership number

* the dog's sex

* the dog's color

Then it shows the 3 generation parental lineage (pedigree) on both sides, sire and dam

* the date the dog is registered and the date the Certified Pedigree (paper) is issued

As explained by others, the reverse is the ownership transfer form. This Pedigree or paper if you like belongs with the dog.

The color of this Pedigree will depend on whether the dog/pup is registered on the main or limit register. The papers of the parents of your pup should be on Blue paper (if they are registered in Victoria) and this will indicate that they are on the main register.

If they are not on main register, they should not be bred from in accordance with their state body Code of Ethics.

Note, Dogs Victoria/VCA are the state kennel club for Vic just as Dogs NSW are for their state and so on. All the state kennel clubs operate under the ANKC, which is the governing body of all the state kennel clubs.

When you become a member, you are a member of your state kennel club. Your state kennel club is a member of the ANKC.

The whole thing can get so confusing when we are new, but you are doing a brilliant job of keeping up and researching. Good on you!! :)

All of the states ANKC kennels clubs operate under the ANKC but not all of the kennel clubs do - and you get all of that and more on an MDBA registered pedigree and most others from various registries many of whom have nothing to do with the ANKC

* the dog's sex

* the dog's color

All of the states ANKC kennels clubs operate under the ANKC but not all of the kennel clubs do - and you get all of that and more on an MDBA registered pedigree and most others from various registries many of whom have nothing to do with the ANKC

My apologies Steve, I meant the ANKC state kennel clubs :)

With our pup we were given:

Signed transfer of microchip details for us to complete

Spare microchip number stickers

Vaccination certificate w/ corresponding microchip number recorded

Certificate of registration and pedigree of both parents along with copies of their hip and elbow scores

The pups own registration was still in progress so that was mailed to us separately.

We also came home with toys, enough food for several days, diet and exercise sheets...

I wasn't worried about not receiving the pups registration on the day, as our breeders are active in the state breed association and we felt that gave us a sense of security.

* the dog's sex

* the dog's color

We should point out as well that the pedigree papers may not come thro until after the purchase.

Confirm if I am wrong but the purchase can be for a puppy on Main Register subject to the papers being issued.

(If wrong I'll delete this) x

* the dog's sex

* the dog's color

My apologies Steve, I meant the ANKC state kennel clubs :)

Yep I knew that but point is there is a situation where we know what we mean but because there are now so many registered breeders who are regsitered with heaps of different places and not just ANKC regsitered breeders we need to educate em and be specific and demand others are specific when advertising.

Gumtree ask - are you a registered breeder - you can tick yes and you are if you are registered as a breeder with your council in many places and its not only ANKC

Edited by Steve

Just a question re limited register dogs and bitches. Can a litter be registered with the ANKC if one or both parents are on the limited register? I'm of the belief that no litter could be registered from parents of a limited reg but not 100% certain.

If this is the case, then it shouldn't matter about sighting the parents' certificates because if your pup is having one processed, that would indicate the parents are mains registered wouldn't it?

I guess the trick here is that pedigree papers aren't handed over with the puppy because from what I've experienced, the papers haven't been finalised by the ANKC by the time 8 weeks comes around and that breeders post the document out when it arrives. :confused:

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

Just a question re limited register dogs and bitches. Can a litter be registered with the ANKC if one or both parents are on the limited register? I'm of the belief that no litter could be registered from parents of a limited reg but not 100% certain.

If this is the case, then it shouldn't matter about sighting the parents' certificates because if your pup is having one processed, that would indicate the parents are mains registered wouldn't it?

I guess the trick here is that pedigree papers aren't handed over with the puppy because from what I've experienced, the papers haven't been finalised by the ANKC by the time 8 weeks comes around and that breeders post the document out when it arrives. :confused:

No both dogs have to have main register papers to have a litter registered with the ANKC - but you can use limited register papers to breed them with other registries.

In Queensland we can register pups straight into the new owners name. If the pups are registered say at 6 weeks in the breeders name, then we need to sign the back for the transfer. I do try to get the papers back if all the pups are sold by 8 weeks. They also get a copy of a seven generation family tree as generated by breedmate.

If pup is sold on limit register, dogs qld require the new puppy buyer needs to sign an agreement (that they understand the pup will be sold on the limit registration) which is then sent in with the registration papers. If in co-own or partnership, dogs qld require their partnership form filled in and sent in with the registration.

Microchip papers - we are supposed to do the microchips in our name when we do it. I do mine at 6 weeks with the vaccinations. Puppy buyers receive in their puppy packs a signed transfer form for the microchip company used. One microchip sticker is placed on the vaccination card, one on the pedigree paper and one on the transfer form.

The problem of doing it straight into the new puppy buyers name is if they change their mind. It has happened to me and the microchip companies do not recognise you as the breeder. The pup gets "sold" with the old puppy owners name on the microchip. When the new puppy buyer sends in a transfer request without the "current owners " signature" on the transfer, a letter is sent to the "owner" stating a transfer has been put in and do they agree to it. If nothing is heard back in two weeks the transfer takes place without the old owner having a say about it. I don't know what happens if the old owner does object.

I will never now do the microchip straight into the new buyers name. I do however have transfer papers printed with all the details filled out, with my signature and get them to compete the forms when they are picking up the pup and send them off myself to the microchip company. I know then it has been done. For those that are sold interstate it can create an issue if they don't send off the change of microchip forms. The dog is still in my name. Not good if they lose their dog. I am contacted first not them. Then you have to hope your contact for them is still current.

It is the owners responsibility to keep the microchip details up to date. Not the breeder. Many people forget to update the microchip details.

Health: all puppies come with their vaccination cards. Copies of the parents health tests (DNA results and profiles, eye tests, hip and elbow) and for one litter, I Baer tested them. So they got those as well.

Breed info: they get a comprehensive booklet on diet, grooming, and general care, breed health issues, worming, when their next vaccinations are due etc, a list of recommended online vet shops for medications, links and further reading. They also get leaflets on crate training, basic obedience and toilet training. They also get brochures from the breed club, dogs qld and various pet food companies.

As Steve said, for ANKC pedigree - both sire and dam must be on Main Register. The bitch must be in the name of the breeder's prefix (eg. Co owned dog must be leased or transferred back into the name of the person/s prefix.) The stud dog owner also must be a member of a state canine body at the time of the mating. (Eg. Dog sold as a pet to a non ANKC member must be leased or transferred to a financial member of an ANKC affiliated state body)

Breeders also have 18 months to register the litter. Most ethical breeders will try to get the papers done and through as soon as possible once the litter is either vaccinated/microchipped or sold. So if you have a "slack" breeder you may be waiting awhile. Most canine controls I think take about 14 working days to process the papers. They are then sent back to the breeder to sight and check for accuracy and then the breeder needs to send them off to the puppy buyers.

I believe other states are following suit, but in QLD to register a pup on the limit register, the new puppy buyer MUST sign a limit register agreement which is sent in with the original litter registration or if already registered on main and being downgraded to limit with the transfer of the papers. This second scenario could happen if the buyer is getting an older pup the breeder may ran on for awhile.

That all makes sense. I know there were quite a few forms I had to fill out when I got Kirah. There was the council rego, the microchip transfer and I can't remember but there may have been something I needed to fill out for the pedigree papers too.

I'm grateful that my breeder made the process nice and easy -- I got copies of all paperwork (carbon copies of microchip and council transfers), the ANKC papers were posted out once processed (in her name but she'd filled out the transfer on the back which only meant I needed payment details then to send away again) and also the vac card and microchip cert from the vets and a breed info handout which had the puppy worming and flea schedule.

Here local council rego is up to the buyer. All local councils around Brisbane don't require the owner to register the pup until it is 3 months old. Just in the immediate surrounding area we have four different local councils, so it would depend where the new owner loves. My last litter, all pups went interstate.

New puppy buyers should be given or have a transfer form for the microchip company unless the breeder did it directly in the new owners name.

Queensland I think is still the only state where breeders can register the litter straight into new owners name. Other states pups are registered into the breeders name and then it has to be transferred to the new owner. Queensland also does not charge a different amount for main verses limit registrations. They do charge more if a transfer is done after 14 days from sale.

• 3 weeks later...

It used to be common having a choice between papered and non papered I think before limited register evolved where non papered pups were cheaper. If the breeders are over 50 odd years old, they may be a bit old school perhaps, or the sire or dam maybe on limited reg and they can't register the litter anyway telling you some BS to justify it?

In the 40 years I have been involved in the pure breed dog world it has never been and option to sell with or without papers in Victoria.

I know a couple of breeders who still do it in Victoria. Once the litter is sold, they register only the pups people want papered selling on mains or unpapered at a reduced price.

If this person has advertised on Gumtree as a registered breeder and has asked more than $500 for the puppy then Gumtree will take action to remove the adverts and caution the advertiser. Of course they need to have this brought to their attention so you will have to report the advert to them.

At least Gumtree have a set of advertising rules pertaining to the age at which pups may be sold and require those who claim to be registered breeders to state the association with which they are registered.

It's unfortunate that there are still so many shonky people around who will try to decieve others into thinking that they are legitimate but you have done well to ask questions and not to be taken in by her talk.

I hope that you find a wonderful pup that will give you all the fun and love that you deserve.

How can gumtree do this if in fact they are registered with someone - anyone? I placed an ad on gumtree this week and the question is Are you are registered breeder not are you an ANKC registered breeder . Im an ANKC registered breeder an MDBA registered breeder and Im registered with the council as a breeder .

I got my pug! He does not come with papers, but the owner is registered with Dogs Victoria, so she is trusted. Her reasoning for not providing even limited papers is that she did not want anyone to have her champion bloodlines, as it took her a long time to get the sire.

Of course, I checked with Dogs Victoria and the receptionist who picked up stated registered breeders of Dogs Vic SHOULD provide papers, but do not need to, if they dont want to.

I am fine with this, if the original person I was talking about (Rose) was as honest as this breeder was, we would have considered a puppy without papers like our Magma now.

I got my pug! He does not come with papers, but the owner is registered with Dogs Victoria, so she is trusted. Her reasoning for not providing even limited papers is that she did not want anyone to have her champion bloodlines, as it took her a long time to get the sire.

Of course, I checked with Dogs Victoria and the receptionist who picked up stated registered breeders of Dogs Vic SHOULD provide papers, but do not need to, if they dont want to.

I am fine with this, if the original person I was talking about (Rose) was as honest as this breeder was, we would have considered a puppy without papers like our Magma now.

you've been lied to. VCA members have to provide papers with all pups. And there is no valid reason to not supply papers. None whatsoever.