New Food - Sunday Pets

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks good, but to be totally honest I could feed raw and human grade meat with veggies, apple cider vinegar and green lipped mussel for less than $10 a kilo and have it fresh and au natural so to speak.

We can also balance it as we go and change it up for variety.

Factoring in I'd also have to include bones and things it works out hideously expensive even when you take out their multivitamin.

It might be good to take away with us though or when they go board etc.

Totally not meaning to say its no good, looks amazing but I can't justify $127 a bag when my dogs eat better than we do as is. Haha.

Edited by Steph M

Given it's freeze dried would the fat content % be warped due to the lack of moisture content? Or do you feed it dry?

That would explain it. I though it might have been an oversight in the analysis of the food.

Sunday Pets really need to fix and upgrade their website so people can browse through and research their various foods. It is too slow waiting for the pages to load. I gave up in frustration.

Their Customer Service is good. I asked a question yesterday and recieved a reply a couple of hours later.

I saw a new grain free food just brought into the country this week from NZ called Sunday Pets.

The ingredients look better (in my personal criteria) than anything I have seen out on the market in dry foods. 79% Meat, then veggies, green lipped muscle, manuka honey and apple cider vinegar etc etc . (ingredients vary between the different types they make)

The baking method of preparation apparently is far better than the high temperature and steaming that nearly all kibbles have. It keeps in more nutrition and being from NZ means that it can be imported in, as opposed to some OS foods that don't meet the AQIS (?) guidelines for temperature and processing. One of the best things though, is it comes in little weet-bix shaped biscuits that are are about as big as 5 or so normal sized kibble so that the dog can't inhale like most kibbles. The consistency is like a weet-bix but more dense.

I am probably a knuckle-head but I couldn't resist buying a bag to transition from the USA made TOTW I normally feed my dog on but I was very impressed with what I have read about it!!! It costs around $120 for around 12kg so it is at the upper end of market but around the same as most of the so-called super premium kibbles.

They also do a puppy food especially for large/giant breeds. I think they do an Adult Large/giant breed formula but those interested will need to check.

Anyway, I will start the transition tomorrow and see how it goes, I gave Ronin one bikkie tonight as a treat, and he took it to his mat like he does with special food (like a bone) from his bowl. He seemed to enjoy crunching it, but then again he really does love his food :D

Oh, and any info above was basically extrapolated from their website and packaging and may contain heaps of errors or inaccuracies on my part LOL :)

I am hoping that they bring out a fish based version in the future. I can't believe that I am excited about a new dog food... I think I need to get out more :laugh:

How did your dog go as far as stool is concerned? I'm feeding my dog Artemis grain free at the moment and the Crude Protein min 24% Crude Fat, min 14%. I'd like to feed Sunday Pets grain free but I'm a bit concerned about the high protein 39%. I fed him ZiwiPeak before and he was doing fine for a few months then all of the sudden he had bad diarrohea. He couldn't tollerate Evo from the word go. He was diagnose with colitis so I have always switched him slowly between two and three weeks. I'm thinking of Sunday Pets Deliganics Senior which contains Crude Protein 28%, Crude Fat 5%, but it's not grain free :( as it contains ground barley. Other than that all the ingredients look pretty good. My dog is blind and he is 9, very low activity, hence I'm looking at the senior range. Please keep us posted regarding your dog's stool. Thanks

Must admit I'd like to try my guys on this. I like the look of whats in it. I have to have grain free too though. There website isn't good. Hope they update it very soon. It is sooooo slow too. Good to hear stools are perfect though.

Just wanted to add that if I need grain free I'd have to try the Tasty holistic I think as the Delganices has grain. I think that is the only difference.

Edited by BC Crazy

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd pop back on to see if there are any questions I can answer (bearing in mind I'm on a learning curve too). Plus provide you with a "one dog" study: I've got my 12-1/2 yo Springer bitch on the Senior formula. I've never fed an older dog a senior food as I believe good levels of digestible protein and a moderate amount of fat to be important to maintain muscle mass (they lose it too) but the GF Senior got me interested with the lamb and fish combination. Portia's doing well; loves it and what comes out the back end is pretty darn good also.

Also re barley which I think got a mention. Not seen anything in the literature re barley allergies but I stand to be corrected. It's a useful inclusion and some "no nonsense" info. can be found on nutritiondata dot com.

I've finished the small bag, so I am now on the big one. So far I am impressed, stools are great, I would say slightly smaller than with previous food. I left one in the garden to see how it looks after a week (Dr Poo here :D ) I noticed the stools begin to turn white quicker than with the previous (high quality also) kibble. To me this means that more nutrition is being extracted from the food in the digestion. Prey model raw feeders would probably note that stools go white pretty quickly as most of the good stuff is extracted and there are no fillers.

So my finding are positive, I am not comparing it to prey model raw though, as I still believe that there is nothing better if you have the time, freezer space and a dog that can tolerate the different proteins.

I will continue to purchase this product and hope dearly that they bring out a fish based version in the near future, not only for me but for those whose dogs can't tolerate lamb...Hint hint hint LOL :)

That's very interesting, as I have noticed that my guys poo will turn white if left out for a day, sometimes less. I always thought it had to do with the amount of bone (calcium) they had to eat. I learn something new everyday :)