New Food - Sunday Pets

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've finished the small bag, so I am now on the big one. So far I am impressed, stools are great, I would say slightly smaller than with previous food. I left one in the garden to see how it looks after a week (Dr Poo here :D ) I noticed the stools begin to turn white quicker than with the previous (high quality also) kibble. To me this means that more nutrition is being extracted from the food in the digestion. Prey model raw feeders would probably note that stools go white pretty quickly as most of the good stuff is extracted and there are no fillers.

So my finding are positive, I am not comparing it to prey model raw though, as I still believe that there is nothing better if you have the time, freezer space and a dog that can tolerate the different proteins.

I will continue to purchase this product and hope dearly that they bring out a fish based version in the near future, not only for me but for those whose dogs can't tolerate lamb...Hint hint hint LOL :)

That's very interesting, as I have noticed that my guys poo will turn white if left out for a day, sometimes less. I always thought it had to do with the amount of bone (calcium) they had to eat. I learn something new everyday :)

I am sure that there is an element of bone, but from my understanding that is not the main reason why the poops turn white more quickly with raw diets. I don't know how old you are but I remember 40 odd years ago you would see white poops everywhere. A lot of this was due to more people feeding raw meat and bones.

"Bones" I think is the key

I can't be bothered reading the entire thread but interested to try this food!

Can you explain to me why you need to freeze it etc?

You don't "need to freeze it". The Raw Chow raw formula has been freeze dried and is meant to be re-constituted with warm water.

[

I don't think so, as bones only make up 10% of a balanced raw diet. Perhaps in the past where less was known there may have been much more bone in white poop :)

Edited by Yonjuro

Grrr... Stuff you lot... Now I'm interested in this too.

Scottie is such a hard one to settle - between being fussy and having some allergy to grains (not sure which exactly) and a sensitive tummy....He's mainly on Ziwi and mince but his stools could be a lot better.

Off to google this food :)

Edited: Found it online http://pookinuk.com.au/ but wish I could get a smaller bag of the senior - anyone know if that's possible?

Edited by Scottsmum

Scottie is such a hard one to settle - between being fussy and having some allergy to grains (not sure which exactly) and a sensitive tummy....He's mainly on Ziwi and mince but his stools could be a lot better.

Edited: Found it online http://pookinuk.com.au/ but wish I could get a smaller bag of the senior - anyone know if that's possible?

A senior formulation in either grain free or Deliganics is available in 1.5k or, as you've discovered I think, 11.81k.

Any reason why Scott can't get bones? They would most likely improve his stools (as well as provide calcium, assist with dental hygiene etc)

Jennifer, in the grain free range there doesn't appear to be large breed adult variety, only a large/giant breed puppy. Are you looking at developing one? I wouldn't want to start a pup off on a food and then have to change.

Any idea if there will be a Large dog formula come out in the Adult & Senior Grain Free range? All I can find on the websites are small/medium in this range?? I bought a bag of senior for my old boy, but my dogs are medium-large so hoping I can get something more size approriate

Natural Pet Store currently have 20% off this food as an 'opening sale' :thumbsup:

eta. Oops, snap korbin13!

Edited by FHRP

I got my bag this morning and I must admit when seeing the size of the pieces I did wonder how a senior small dog would cope :laugh: It's great for my size dogs that range from 21 - 30kg :)

If the food suits all but the giants then maybe it needs to be relabelled to just 'adult', 'senior' etc. ??

Jennifer, in the grain free range there doesn't appear to be large breed adult variety, only a large/giant breed puppy. Are you looking at developing one? I wouldn't want to start a pup off on a food and then have to change.

Hi. Sorry but don't know of any plans for a grain free large breed adult. Will ask the question though. Do you normally feed your large breed to 18months or so?

I got my bag this morning and I must admit when seeing the size of the pieces I did wonder how a senior small dog would cope :laugh: It's great for my size dogs that range from 21 - 30kg :)

If the food suits all but the giants then maybe it needs to be relabelled to just 'adult', 'senior' etc. ??

Know from practical experience that many small breeds suffer dental probs. And from talking to their owners it seems that they're always fed a "soft" diet. If the aforementioned owners can be educated, perhaps a food such as Sunday Pets could help control decay and disease? At least it seems palatable enough to be consumed! If those same small dogs were left to forage for themselves, I daresay any number of chunky things would be eaten.

Hey Jennifer - from the looks of the site linked above they dont sell any of the snr products in the smaller size

http://pookinuk.com.au/index.php/for-dogs/dog-food-brands-l-z/sunday-pets.html?dir=asc&order=price

Any other places to try?

Someone mentioned naturalpetstore dot com. Also, The Petshop Boyz in Newcastle, Petfood Plus in Sydney's south west, boomerangpetfood dot com, My Pet Warehouse in Sydney. Also Dural Pet Superstore. Think it's listed on the Paws4life site too. Not everyone will have everything but it can be ordered in.

Any reason why Scott can't get bones? They would most likely improve his stools (as well as provide calcium, assist with dental hygiene etc)

Wont eat them - will only bury them. Gets chicken necks and others occasionally but yeh. Bury the bone, track mud into the house. Plus I usually forget to defrost them (try to give him 2-3 chicken necks or off cuts every week)