New Food - Sunday Pets

:confused: I don't find it smelly at all, well not beyond normal kibble smell??

I don't think my old boy is completely thrilled with it, has left some at one meal, he's not a food hound like my other boys though.

Edited by FHRP

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't started feeding it yet but just opened the bag last night. It's already a no from me regardless of how my dogs do using up this bag. It absolutely stinks and I don't want to have to touch it to break the pieces up for the Pug. All my dog/cats food is stored in quality storage bins here in my study. Pet food smell has not ever been an issue and I'm sitting in here now with the smell of dog food all around me. Will have to move it out in the garage.

Hi. Thought your comment interesting re Sunday Pets aroma. Plus comments from others saying that they didn't find it so. Think that we all "smell" things differently; depends on our genetic makeup apparently. I certainly haven't found it so but hey, we're all different. Here's some info. that I found useful ... http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/4167.php

Yes IMHO there must be something wrong with Clydes order.

I certainly wouldn't touch any dry food if I thought it smelt offensive or weird & I'm dam sure I wouldn't feed it to my dogs. No matter what brand it was.

Edited by BC Crazy

I haven't started feeding it yet but just opened the bag last night. It's already a no from me regardless of how my dogs do using up this bag. It absolutely stinks and I don't want to have to touch it to break the pieces up for the Pug. All my dog/cats food is stored in quality storage bins here in my study. Pet food smell has not ever been an issue and I'm sitting in here now with the smell of dog food all around me. Will have to move it out in the garage.

Hi. Thought your comment interesting re Sunday Pets aroma. Plus comments from others saying that they didn't find it so. Think that we all "smell" things differently; depends on our genetic makeup apparently. I certainly haven't found it so but hey, we're all different. Here's some info. that I found useful ... http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/4167.php

That's a little bit patronising. Have you considered that there might actually be something wrong with the bag that Clyde received? Regardless of whether a particular smell appeals to someone or not, its extremely strange for a product that doesn't normally have a strong smell to be so bad that someone doesn't want to touch it and it needs to be kept in the garage.

I agree. I think it's very odd to not consider the possibility that something's gone amiss with the bag, and to inly consider that Clyde's sense of smell is the problem.

The food finally arrived. :cheer:

It has been scientifically tested on the tribe with the following results:

* The honorary Labrador scoffed it but it did take him longer to eat than his usual kibble. That's a plus.

* Mr Fuss Britches also ate it happily (but it must pass the three day test with him yet)

* The crumblies ate their test pieces happily (including the 17 year old senior poodle) but its too high in protein for them to eat regularly

It smells nice. Only "down" side is that crumbs get everywhere but the crumbly dogs vacuumed those up.

Real test now is to see if MFB keeps eating it and how it affects their condition overall.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Quick question Haredown Whippets.

If you don't mind. How long do you wait with a dog on a new dry food before you look at their condition & make an assessment as to how they are actually going on it? I have heard 21 days but am unsure.

Edited by BC Crazy

Quick question HW if you don't mind. How long do you wait with a dog on a new dry food before you look at their condition & make an assessment as to how they are actually going on it? I have heard 21 days but am unsure.

I'd probably give it 6 weeks until passing judgment but if, within that time, there's a clear change in condition for the worse, I'd ditch it. Coat would be what I'd watch most closely.

The food finally arrived. :cheer:

It has been scientifically tested on the tribe with the following results:

* The honorary Labrador scoffed it but it did take him longer to eat than his usual kibble. That's a plus.

* Mr Fuss Britches also ate it happily (but it must pass the three day test with him yet)

* The crumblies ate their test pieces happily (including the 17 year old senior poodle) but its too high in protein for them to eat regularly

It smells nice. Only "down" side is that crumbs get everywhere but the crumbly dogs vacuumed those up.

Real test now is to see if MFB keeps eating it and how it affects their condition overall.

Its a no from my MFB. Didn't pass the three day test. Shame.

BC Crazy - my Springer has a cast iron constitution and happily eats anything and everything and does well on it. However, within 12 hours of eating Hills dry she was scratching (pulling out chunks of hair) so sometimes it's a quick response! It was so quick I didn't realise straight away it was the food but 24 hours after her last meal of it the scratching ceased.

TSD, my male had a similar issue with Black Hawk. His coat went off & he was scratching. Pulling his coat. Chewing his feet. Had an awful smell about him. This all ocurred very quickly after I'd just feed him. I went straight out & brought a bag of grain free dry food. The change was unbelievable. Within 24 hours all his symtoms had gone including his terrible smell.

So that was enough for me to realise. No more BH for us.

An allergy response will happen really quickly. That is a true allergy. Intolerance response is usually slower but I would expect to see a problem within days. If the food is just not good for the dogs (ie not enough oil for the coat) then that can take weeks.

Oh OK then, thanks JulesP. It was very surprising to me that his symptoms happened so quickly. And the turn around was 24 hours. No smell, scratching etc.

So I have been keeping a very close eye on Sonny on this new product. So far so good. I don't want him going down hill again as with all those other symptoms he had his coat went off terribly. Took my almost 12 months to grow all the damage out.