Petplan Premium Increase

aliwake

Just went through and did a quote and mine is going to almost double! And just when I've been telling others why I like PetPlan. I haven't had to use them yet, but I guess I will be looking for someone else now. I can't afford to have a social life anyway, paying that premium will mean I can't eat (plus will then be the same or higher than my own health cover).

Disappointing.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd imagine there would be an insurance ombudsman of some sort you could complain to about costs rising and being taken out before the consumer being notified... Ombudsman is obligated to investigate and respond to complaints and if a whole heap of the same issue hits their desk it will only support the complaint further

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dabern

Wow it sounds like they have really dropped the ball with some customers. We got notification of the Premium hikes in plenty of time. However my experience of claims has been a bit different in that they have never to date quibbled or taken ages. They have paid out well over ten thousand dollars on one of ours and several thousand on the other. I haven't been able to find comparable cover any cheaper and some companies won't even provide a quote. I guess we will stay with them for now and find something else to give up to cover the cost. I daren't leave Issy uninsured in case her other hip goes.

I had to chase them for the biggest claim for Fern. They said I hadn't supplied something, fair enough, maybe I didn't and they closed the claim. Which meant I had to resubmit everything, bit of a pain. But they never told me! I was only told when I rang them to check on it and "oh sorry you should have been notified" Which I wasn't. As far as I could see what was resubmitted was the same as the first time.

My policies are due to expire in June and it looks like they'll go up from $81.30 to $116.78 (for two Chis) which is more than my own recent health insurance increase. :eek: The difference between Classic and Ultimate is only 36c though?? :confused: I also haven't received any notification yet.

If you're not happy with the increase and wish to cancel, I would ask for a refund of the last installment and then immediate cancellation. In the PDS:

Renewing Your Policy

If You pay Your premium by Direct Debit instalment, when the Policy is due for renewal and We have agreed to renew the Policy,

We will renew it for You automatically, to save You the worry of remembering to contact Us before the renewal date. We will write to

You before the Policy expires with full details of Your premium and terms upon which renewal will be offered for a further period of

insurance. If You do not want to renew the Policy just let Us know.

Seems they are not meeting the terms of their own PDS.

They really should not have taken out the first months payment without agreement of the new policy anyway! Regardless of payment method. My car insurance renewal etc. always arrives well in advance so I can stop the renewal of the policy before the first payment.

I think this is the worst thing.

If that happened to me I would ask for a refund for that amount and then cancel the policy.

Unfortunately from reading other reviews on facebook, it seems all too common. When I rang them during the week and I questioned my other dogs renewal they said they would email me the updated rates. I have received nothing.

Why the rush lol. I first insured my dogs in March, and had to call them several times for paper work. They were very apologetic and still nothing. It only just arrived in the mail after several emails the same day from them with the same paperwork.

The insurance renewal for my two dogs fell due last September. I received the new policy documents for the coming year and the premiums had increased 98% in total. I have no choice but to continue with this insurance company if I want to keep my dogs insured because the younger of my two my dogs had just turned 9 years old when the policy was due for renewal. At 9yo and 10yo my dogs are now too old to be taken on by any other insurance company. They have been insured by this company for 6 years.

I shudder to think what the premium hike will be in the coming September when the policy is again due for renewal.

My policies are due to expire in June and it looks like they'll go up from $81.30 to $116.78 (for two Chis) which is more than my own recent health insurance increase. :eek: The difference between Classic and Ultimate is only 36c though?? :confused: I also haven't received any notification yet.

I thought they were explaining to people that the insurance increases were going on size… That's definitely not the case if your Chi's went up that much too!

Edited by LisaCC

Well that's the price the website quoted. The only difference is that I opted for a $500 excess to lower the premiums but it doesn't look like they give you that option anymore?? Who knows what they'll be!

I would imagine at that rate you would be better off without insurance and maybe set money aside yourself and earn interest on it, with those premiums you would want his vet fees to be over $9000 over the next 10 years, and that's if the premiums don't go up again which they will

Yeah Lisa but 9k doesn't go far with vet bills anymore at all. I've spent over almost 9k on my old Mac since 23 June last year - worth every cent and would do it again in a heart beat - he has great quality of life. But the credit card I keep for vet bills is almost full - so hoping for some reprieve while I pay off some space on it. (Mac was pretty much uninsurable when I got him as a rescue 6 year old). I still think insuring a dog with completely unknown history and/or as a puppy is the way to go. I'd hate to not be able to afford care for the price of a couple of take-aways a month. smile.gif

The insurance renewal for my two dogs fell due last September. I received the new policy documents for the coming year and the premiums had increased 98% in total. I have no choice but to continue with this insurance company if I want to keep my dogs insured because the younger of my two my dogs had just turned 9 years old when the policy was due for renewal. At 9yo and 10yo my dogs are now too old to be taken on by any other insurance company. They have been insured by this company for 6 years.

I shudder to think what the premium hike will be in the coming September when the policy is again due for renewal.

Yep I'm in the same boat cVr. My two oldies are now almost 13 and insured through Petplan - so no way I could change them no - and no-one would insure Mac at his age and with his history anyway.

Off to check my bank statement, its not right if they don't take health testing into consideration if they are basing it on breeds, my girls hips are a 1 in total so that would be a huge reduction to their risk

I send all my kittens home with petplan and have been a huge advocate for them

Plus the interest on a 9k credit card can very very quickly add up if you can't pay it off quickly.

Absolutely moosey - but not too many options here for an uninsurable 14 year old dog with Mac's history - as I discovered emergency surgery at 11.30 pm on a Sunday night costs big time. Then a bout of aspiration pneumonia and bang! Almost 9 k has jumped out. But keeping an empty credit card for vet bills is the best I can do as I don't have a few lazy grand lying around much as I'd love too.

And the truth is that the money I had ear-marked for flooring for the new house went on him!! I jokingly call him 'my floorboards' when I'm cross with him!!

For sure westie, I just meant given the option between insurance and a credit card, a more expensive premium may still be your better option. :)

Haha who needs new floorboards when you've got a Mac dog? :D I'm sure he is worth every penny!

For sure westie, I just meant given the option between insurance and a credit card, a more expensive premium may still be your better option. :)

Haha who needs new floorboards when you've got a Mac dog? :D I'm sure he is worth every penny!

Absolutely on both counts. And for my other old girl I continue to pay her Pet Plan premiums as she's too old to change now. As for Mac, I've borrowed from my mortgage, lived on rice and lentils and stacked up credit cards to the point I'm sure I could have had a year in first class on the Queen Mary for what I've spent! But he's my boy, my heart dog, my first, my 'floorboards' (laugh.gif) and while he still has good quality of life I'll continue to hand the credit card over... and close my eyes and sign...