Petplan Premium Increase

aliwake

I always keep copies of everything for my own use. I have a file for each of my dogs, past and present, that contains every invoice for all vet services from the first vaccinations onwards. (In the case of a rescue dog, from the day he/she came to me and any paperwork involved).

Their pedigree papers and all papers from the purchase of the pup are in the dog's file, plus all claims and reimbursement details from the insurance company. If I ever need to refer to anything about that dog all I have to do is pull out their file and it's all there.

Sometimes I pull out the file for one of my dog's who has passed on. I can trace their whole life history. It helps when I'm thinking about that dog and missing him/her still.

I don't know if this happens with other vets but when I'm paying for the consult they sometimes ask if I want a receipt. Of course I do, the invoice/receipt tells me the reason I took the dog to the vet and I need that information for my file.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

.... another 15 minute call to add to the one last friday and the tuesday before that.

Currently dealing with them debiting my premiums for the THIRD TIME in a month (the policy is paid and up-to-date). "Systems error" excuses can only be used so many times. Not happy.

I'm considering dumping Petplan now....my renewal isn't up until December 27 but I could save that money and we do have a credit card that is only used when we really need it (ie. when Cleo got sick we used it). Currently I pay $40 per dog, per month so it's not a huge amount but could make a difference.

I am so undecided, we could save that little bit extra per month or have a little bit of peace of mind (it's not total peace as stories of claims being rejected worry me).

I look at it from a worse case scenario perspective, say treatment costing $10'000 (let's presume the claim would be honoured).

1. Use a credit card and then spend years paying it back, with interest.

2. Put the $58/mth into a savings account in which case it would take me 14 years (essentially the lifetime of the dog) to save up to cover the treatment.

3. Pay insurance and not have to worry about the worst case scenario.

Options 1 and 2 require me to cover the whole 10k out of my own pocket. Option 3 means I don't have to pay anything out of my own pocket beyond premiums and excesses. Sure it's a pain that sometimes you end up paying premiums and never have to claim but I still think it's worth it, as much as it pains me!

I'm considering dumping Petplan now....my renewal isn't up until December 27 but I could save that money and we do have a credit card that is only used when we really need it (ie. when Cleo got sick we used it). Currently I pay $40 per dog, per month so it's not a huge amount but could make a difference.

I am so undecided, we could save that little bit extra per month or have a little bit of peace of mind (it's not total peace as stories of claims being rejected worry me).

You can pull the pin immediately if you haven't claimed in the current insurance year. If you have claimed, you are up for the annual amount anyway.... it's the way insurance works even though you are paying a monthly instalment.

I look at it from a worse case scenario perspective, say treatment costing $10'000 (let's presume the claim would be honoured).

Conservative worst case amount I would say, Louis has cost us approx. $20k over the past year on his IMHA treatment :(

A good reason for not dumping your pet insurance is Murphy's Law which means if you dump it you'll have a large vet bill to pay as soon as you cancel the policy.

Back in the UK we had 4 dogs and 3 cats, all insured and rarely claimed. When we moved over here with just the two little ones and Indy we decided against insurance as it was a lot more expensive here and with much higher excess charges etc. Indy developed triaditis and allergic asthma, Daisy ate chocolate and had a very expensive 24hrs in emergency on Aussie day, and Louis got IMHA, glaucoma and pancreatitis :eek:

The new one, Poppy, is insured :laugh:

I went with Petplan as they seemed the most comprehensive, Bow Wow Meow looked pretty good too but they only cover 80% of vet bills.

I still haven't received my money... doesn't take that long to do a bank transfer! Just sick of being lied to and falsely placated.

I also got a text message from them last night saying they received my claim on the 9th may and would process it in turn etc etc (it was the claim before my current one, which they have already processed and finalised). They're clearly on top of things - NOT!

I still haven't received my money... doesn't take that long to do a bank transfer! Just sick of being lied to and falsely placated.

I also got a text message from them last night saying they received my claim on the 9th may and would process it in turn etc etc (it was the claim before my current one, which they have already processed and finalised). They're clearly on top of things - NOT!

Ah! You need the magic word. OMBUDSMAN. It worked for me when they were stuffing me around in order to delay reimbursing me.

Might not help Aliwake but when I was chasing up a claim awhile,ago. I completely got the brush off speaking to someone on the phone. I emailed and complained and got a very quick response and cheque a few days later. Admittedly this was before all the kerfuffle of the restructuring though. I don't even bother ringing anymore. The people you talk to seem to have no idea what they are talking about.

They have been really good with every other claim I've had - I just feel like there is internal chaos there due their 'restructuring' and they aren't coping AT ALL. Just pay me please :(

Fine and good restructing

No reason for systems to fail entirely.

Accoording to my records I am not up to date. They have looked into their crystal ball and say I am.

Hope I have no claim

Paws crossed you have a successful and quick outcome, aliwake.

:mad

Edited by VizslaMomma

Interestingly enough I seem to have more luck calling them. Next best option is to fill out the contact us form on the website. Just don't bother emailing anyone you have ever had contact with in the past. I have had so many questions for them lately and each time have had to fill out the website form. They get back to you pretty with an email pretty quickly, but if you want to ask any further questions don't bother emailing the same person as none of them ever reply...

So far my dramas include:

Whip's renewal was due in May, requested to have it switched to monthly and a repayment schedule sent to me. Still waiting on that paperwork but at least they haven't withdrawn any money for him.

Shock's renewal was due in June, requested same as Whip's (and in the same phonecall), received a yearly payment form early July for her but not a monthly schedule. Once again, no money has been withdrawn. Litter sister Fuze should have been due the same time but nothing has been received for her. Tailwag pays monthly though so not sure if that is why.

Delta was insured in early May, initial paperwork and confirmation that she was insured never arrived I just had money withdrawn one day that didn't match my younger dog's amounts. When I queried it was told they would resend the paperwork (which they promptly did) and would look into why the 10% discount was not applied. A second payment was withdrawn a few weeks later (the first one was delayed, second one was on the right day) but still without the discount.

Contacted them again last week in regards to all 3 dogs. Have been reassured that all dogs are still covered, the department that handles the amendments to policies was affected by the system change and that no payments will be deducted for 1st 2 dogs until it is sorted. Also that the extra I am currently paying to Delta will be refunded once the amendments can be processed. That is one email I will ensure does not get deleted!

They hit a new low in my eyes today. A colleague's dog died several months ago. She has been chasing Petplan since then for the final payment they owe (he had cancer, treatments, etc). They asked for his full history and death certificate twice, so they were sent it twice. Then yesterday they debited $95 from her account - for a dead dog! Not only that, her premium used to be $55 so it increased $40 and yep you guessed it - no notice of the increase was sent. And they STILL haven't paid her. She is furious!! How can they debit money for a dead dog?

I cancelled my policy over a fortnight ago and have received nothing to say they have cancelled it. If they try and take my money again I won't be happy!

Unfortunately we have to keep paying for as long as the policy is current even if the dog passes away. We sign up for a year.

I pay monthly and if one of my dogs passed away I would pay out the balance in one lump sum. It would be too awful to have to keep paying every month for a dog who has died.

No reimbursement should take months. They're stuffing your colleague around. She hasn't made enough noise. She should tell them if they don't pay up immediately she'll contact the financial Ombudsman.

I'm with Bow Wow and I thought they were bad but Pet Plan sounds dreadful. They make Bow Wow look good.

A good reason for not dumping your pet insurance is Murphy's Law which means if you dump it you'll have a large vet bill to pay as soon as you cancel the policy.

Yep. A few days after I wrote this (and considered ditching them) my dog ended up needing a $5000 surgery.

If her premium went up, then it means it was a new policy year, and the payments should have stopped if the dog was deceased! What a farce - making something way more difficult than it needs to be just adds to the trauma for your poor friend kirty :(

Just got off the phone from them again. Apparently they're behind on all their bank transfers (no sh*t!), but apparently the claims manager personally promised to make my transfer today. Not holding my breath, but we'll see.

If her premium went up, then it means it was a new policy year, and the payments should have stopped if the dog was deceased! What a farce - making something way more difficult than it needs to be just adds to the trauma for your poor friend kirty :(

Yes, if her dog passed away in the preceding year and her claim was made for the dog's treatment in the preceding year she should have advised them in writing that she wanted the new policy cancelled. She needs confirmation that they received her cancellation notice of the new policy. (after all she's dealing with an insurance company).

If the dog died and the claim was made at the beginning of the new annual policy then she has to pay for the whole year of the policy even though the dog is deceased.