Petplan Premium Increase

aliwake

I'll just have to see how ours goes. We currently have a claim in, they have always paid fairly promptly before. I got a text on the 9th of May to say the claim was received and last night they emailed me an additional form for more information. I don't know what I will do if they start mucking us around. I really need to keep issy's cover high. The claim is for an attack so hopefully that's the reason for the extra request, although I sent a vet report,reference number for the council report and the ranger's name. The other owner left so don't have their details . I can stand the premium hike (just) but will be annoyed if they up the premiums and then start refusing claims.

We are still having ongoing issues too. Last month they took no premiums, then took them from my hubby's account we no longer use - they haven't used that account for premiums for 3 years. I called to complain got a very young sounding girl on the phone,who was totally clueless; and just repeatedly stated they have changed computer systems and there was a glitch.They have since taken two lots of payment for one dog and none for the other.

Up to the end of June they had still not paid the claim from April for the attack on Issy. Two weeks ago I got call from a friend to say the woman who owned the dogs who attacked Issy were at the local dog wash. I jumped in the car and bolted down to confront her, after a bit of an argument and some debate, she agreed she would pay the bill. I immediately called Petplan to tell them and give them her details. On the phone they confirmed it was fine for her to pay up, and they would cancel the claim. They subsequently sent an email asking for her details and saying they would follow the woman up. I responded saying I had sent the details and she had paid so if they needed to follow up to claim any expenses they had incurred then fine, but no need on my behalf. I had the money for the bill and was dealing with the Council on the issue of her dogs behaviour. Last night I arrived home to find a cheque for the bloody claim in the mail.The other owner has already paid me for the vet bill so I don't know whether to try and return the cheque or just tear it up? I don't want it sitting on our insurance record as paid, but not presented. I have emailed them to ask if a supervisor can call me so I can clear it all up. I can't sit on the phone for hours at work and their lines are constantly jammed at the minute. I really hope they can get sorted out, they have always been great in the past, it is so frustrating, but they are in the last chance saloon with me now.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My premium has just been taken out, it was $7 more expensive per month and I did not get any notice... I'm not sure which dog it's for, possibly Zora but I'm sure as they are the same breed and gender and had the same premium before they will go up by the same amount.

I finally got my money back this morning. They did take the excess out which I didn't think they were going to (ongoing condition, but very close the the end of my premium year), but I can't be bothered chasing them any more at the moment. over it!

Signed up just to vent my rage. Just got renewal with pathetic opening letter that talks about 'changes'. Yep, 68% increase is a change.

1 year insured and 68% increase for my boston terrier with no claims or pre-existing conditions.

Whats to say it won't increase by that much or more every year? In 10 years when I might need to claim it could cost $500 a month or similar.

In some boat as others cos changing to other inferior insurer could be false economy and who says they wont jack up prices in similar fashion.

Will ring to give it to them tomorrow but nothing will change they new price except downgrading from middle to entry level or leaving all together. I doubt allianz are negotiable on their prices. Might contact ombudsman just to give them more grief. They are giving enough to their poor customers.

We expect annual increases. It's the nature of insurance. However we expect the increase to be reasonable and pet insurance increases are not reasonable.

There's no point in calling to blast them, it's a take or leave it situation.

I don't know what you call an 'inferior' insurer. If they honour the policy that's all you can expect. Most pet insurance is underwritten by Hollards and you can be sure if one company increases the price when the policy is due for renewal, so will the others.

I doubt the Ombudsman will help. He's there to help if they try to shaft us by not paying out.

We expect annual increases. It's the nature of insurance. However we expect the increase to be reasonable and pet insurance increases are not reasonable.

There's no point in calling to blast them, it's a take or leave it situation.

I don't know what you call an 'inferior' insurer. If they honour the policy that's all you can expect. Most pet insurance is underwritten by Hollards and you can be sure if one company increases the price when the policy is due for renewal, so will the others.

I doubt the Ombudsman will help. He's there to help if they try to shaft us by not paying out.

By inferior I mean 80% coverage and none after 9 years when you probably need it. Not enough competition in equal coverage to petplan so they can get away with this. The underhandedness is what really gets me angry.

I have been with petplan for the last year and policy due for renewal this week and has increased from $48 a month to $89 a month plus the excess has increased to $150! Rang them and they said that with the bigger dogs they had to put up the premiums and they had so many claims last year they had no choice but to increase the excess across the board! Now shopping around for another company and my head hurts! My guy has an ongoing grass allergy so havent a hope of it being covered by another company :confused: Just cannot believe the increase! Gobsmacked! :eek:

I didn't know the excess had gone up?! Will have to check!

Maybe see if you could drop down a level twinkle? That's what I'm considering. I may hate them at the moment, but hey still offer the best cover by a long way.

I can understand the increase - most vets suggest the top shelf treatment when they know you have insurance?

Vet should make people aware of the top shelf treatment whether or not they know their clients have pet insurance. It should always be an option.

I can understand the increase - most vets suggest the top shelf treatment when they know you have insurance?

I find most clients are the ones going forward with the top shelf treatment, because they have insurance. Not because a vet pushes it.

In fact, in some instances you have to ramp clients back a bit.

Vet should make people aware of the top shelf treatment whether or not they know their clients have pet insurance. It should always be an option.

I find most clients are the ones going forward with the top shelf treatment, because they have insurance. Not because a vet pushes it.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Couldn't agree more. It is unethical to not offer all treatments to clients- so I would hope most (all would be better) vets are suggesting it to all clients, not just those with insurance.

I'm not suggesting vets are doing anything wrong . Yes , they have to give all options but if you have insurance you're most probably going to choose the top shelf treatment all the time . I go to a very good vet who sees lots of sports dogs. He had some treatment for a sore back and the vet prescribeb 2 weeks rest. If it was still sore we could do an X-ray then to check that it is not structural ( he didn't think it was ). He mentioned I could have the X-day now before the rest. What did I close? Have the X-ray now. If I didn't have insurance and was short of cash, I would have waited and only had the X-ray if he hadn't come good after the rest.

As long as it is up to the client to choose top shelf treatment every time (even if wait and see is a valid option) insurance premiums are going to go up. Something has to change IMO, I just don't know what....

I never said they don't offer top shelf treatment to everyone?

To be honest I am the one most likely to go nope, don't wait , they are insured, do whatever is the best option.

My vets don't ask if you have insurance, they give you all options the best and most expensive, the least and middle of the road.

I have just read through the whole thread again as I received my renewal in the mail today.

I pay annually and am now in the 'dog classic option 2' and it has increased from $884 last year to $1183 this year. She has just turned two.

It's a 38% increased and not as much as everyone else but wanted to add my 2c

But the other thing that did really piss me off is that my excess has increased from $125 to $200!!! :mad

Just made a quick quote from petplan. A 3 months old golden retriever needs $75.84 per month for his ultimate 4life insurance. Why puppy costs more than adult dogs?

I have just read through the whole thread again as I received my renewal in the mail today.

I pay annually and am now in the 'dog classic option 2' and it has increased from $884 last year to $1183 this year. She has just turned two.

It's a 38% increased and not as much as everyone else but wanted to add my 2c

But the other thing that did really piss me off is that my excess has increased from $125 to $200!!! :mad

Wow! That is a whole lot more cash to find. And that excess is quite high