Hard Tummy & Wheezing

So for about the last 1.5-2 weeks my mums dog (poodle x shihtzu x maltese) has had a hard tummy which looks like he's just eaten a big meal & his breathing sounds what I'd describe as wheezing. He's not acting any differently in anyway, eating, drinking & toileting are all normal & he's happy as can be.

He's off to the vet on Wednesday (her vet is on holiday) so I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea what it could be?

Everything I google brings up bloat which it quite obviously isn't.

Well its obviously not life threatening but if it were my dog I would have been at any vet way before now.

Googling & asking on forums will give no clue to what is wrong but may create a lot of panic, worry & trouble over wrong diagnosis.

The dog needs to see a vet.

As I said the dog IS going to a vet and I am simply after people's insight. He is completely fine other than this so mum didn't see the need to panic and rush him to the vet and wanted to wait for her usual vet to return from holiday.

The hard tummy could be fluid build up, ascites. The wheezing could be pressure on the lungs from the fluid. Dogs can get ascites from having a heart condition, which can also cause wheezing/coughing.

So for about the last 1.5-2 weeks my mums dog (poodle x shihtzu x maltese) has had a hard tummy which looks like he's just eaten a big meal & his breathing sounds what I'd describe as wheezing. He's not acting any differently in anyway, eating, drinking & toileting are all normal & he's happy as can be.

He's off to the vet on Wednesday (her vet is on holiday) so I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea what it could be?

Everything I google brings up bloat which it quite obviously isn't.

What age is the dog?

The hard tummy could be fluid build up, ascites. The wheezing could be pressure on the lungs from the fluid. Dogs can get ascites from having a heart condition, which can also cause wheezing/coughing.

This is my first thought as well .

I agree that it sounds like it could be ascites. He may have cushings or a cardiac problem, but if you say that he is not showing any other signs of being unwell then it's unlikely to be heart related as to produce so much fluid he would probably be showing other signs of cardiac insufficiency such as exercise intolerace and coughing.

My bet will be that he has cushings disease.

There is also the possibility that it could be enlarged organs caused by liver failure or tumour.

In any case this is a dog that is probably quite unwell but is not letting you know.

Many dogs can hide the signs of severe illness until things are fairly advanced.

A trip to the vet should tell you what the problem is.

Re it being a heart issue - dogs can have ascites from right sided failure or pericardial effusion but still be quite happy and seemingly normal. Subtle signs of exercise intolerance or restlessness and increased respiratory rate would be likely, but may not be obvious.

Thanks for the insight guys. I think he's about 8. I thought cushings but he doesn't seem to fit the description. I hope he's ok. I'll look up ascites as I've never heard of it. I'll be going to the vet with mum as she will probably be overwhelmed with whatever the vet says