Bunnings Compost Cages

Just wondering whether anyone here is using these outdoors and how durable you have found them to the elements? I relaise in theory they should be good given they are designed for compost heaps but I'm always a tad sceptical unless I've got personal feedback after a bad experience in the past with fencing wire that has rusted away after 18 months!

I've had mine outside for at least 16 Months or so, I'm pretty happy with their condition.

I have some that were blocking off a plant with sticky seeds that were getting stuck in Reggie's Coat. Useless now as she can jump it.

I have a few others on the ground to stop Reggie digging the grass in front of the shed door. Its in a particularly damp area of grass/dirt and the grass is growing over it now, they are holding up well also.

There's only some light surface rust on them and this is the worst spots, most of the panels look fine. I don't think they will be falling apart very soon :)

post-22389-0-00671000-1400379211_thumb.jpg

post-22389-0-51951100-1400379215_thumb.jpg

I've had mine for 5 years. Some have been used outside for most of that time. I noticed that the very bottom has slightly rusted on a few of those, but basically they've held up well. I find the silly springs that come with them useless tho as they always find their way to the bottom. We use cable ties instead. I like them so much that I just bought a few more :)

Think it depends on what you are putting in it too (if using for compost). Somethings more acidic may eat the coating quicker than others.

Some of the stuff we had placed around, we got some lengths of irrigation pipe, cut in 10-20cm lengths then cut a groove in the "top" and pushed it onto the bottom of the mesh making "feet" for the bottom thus lifting it off the ground a bit.

Edited by Mystiqview

Just wondering whether anyone here is using these outdoors and how durable you have found them to the elements? I relaise in theory they should be good given they are designed for compost heaps but I'm always a tad sceptical unless I've got personal feedback after a bad experience in the past with fencing wire that has rusted away after 18 months!

The OH painted ours with rust-proof paint coming up 7 years next Christmas.

Up until last January they were (literally) in the back paddock at Bathurst.

Good as ever. Last years they were containing 'goat stuff'. Since the arrival of Horrible Herbie, puppy duty in the back yard without issues.

:thumbsup:

I actually use it as a compost container and it is looking a bit rusty but it's been out there for about 6 years at least now I would think. I would imagine my compost is quite acidic too, I put the yuck from my chook house in it.

I've had 8 panels outside for over 2 years as temporary fencing when my chickens are free ranging in the garden (we use the panels to restrict the girls so they don't come inside :laugh: ). No rust or damage, just a bit dirty.

We've had some outside for 5 years now. The very bottom of some is a bit rusty, but still very serviceable. I just went and bought 6 more packs to do more puppy fencing. We even use it inside the pool fence, in case a pup gets through, so it gets salty water on it and has coped really well. I don't bother with the springs that come with it - use black zip ties instead.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but which Bunnings store carries these? I've been unable to find these on their website and at two local stores they looked at me like I had horns on my head when I asked.

I purchased two packs of the panels about 6 years ago. I no longer have them.

The panels I had used and left outdoors on occasion had begun to rust. Still, for the low price, they were definitely handy. I used them for many different reasons and used cable ties to secure them together in the way I wanted for individual things.

They were well worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had some outside fencing off the hosereel for about 2 1/2 years now and it is still in perfect condition. I wonder if perhaps they changed manufacturers?

Agree with the hint to toss the useless springs. They are a PITA.