Help! My Neighbour's Dog Killed My Husky :(

HuskyDrake

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a difficult enough thing to read as a dog lover and I couldn't imagine having to go through it. HuskyDrake my deepest sympathies are with you and your family, your husky I am sure had a loving and caring home while he was with you. Let us know how you go, good luck with the lawyers too. What an awful tragedy that could so easily have been prevented by the other dog's owner.

As a side, I find it very distasteful to criticize the HuskyDrake's actions at a time like this. None of us were there and you can't say what could have been done, HuskyDrake can only try to deal with what has happened which they are doing admirably.

If you can't say anything nice.

This is a difficult enough thing to read as a dog lover and I couldn't imagine having to go through it. HuskyDrake my deepest sympathies are with you and your family, your husky I am sure had a loving and caring home while he was with you. Let us know how you go, good luck with the lawyers too. What an awful tragedy that could so easily have been prevented by the other dog's owner.

As a side, I find it very distasteful to criticize the HuskyDrake's actions at a time like this. None of us were there and you can't say what could have been done, HuskyDrake can only try to deal with what has happened which they are doing admirably.

If you can't say anything nice.

Thanks, will let you guys know the result.

I didn't ask for more information because it had already been provided and I didn't go "boots and all" at anyone.

I suggest you take another look at your post #25 and apologise to HuskyDrake.

I just reread it and I don't believe I have anything to apologise for. If you think that was "boots and all" then so be it. I think it was very, very far from that.

Hi that is fine, you just want to discuss things.

Thanks anyway

I didn't ask for more information because it had already been provided and I didn't go "boots and all" at anyone.

I suggest you take another look at your post #25 and apologise to HuskyDrake.

Don't be upset, I don't mind what he said.

:) thank you very much

What an ugly, horrible, thing to have happen. I would be boiling with a stew of bad emotions: grief, hate, guilt, anger.

I don't think anyone has suggested going after the landlord. In your shoes, I would be insisting that the landlord evict the dog's owners for breaking a lease in such an overt and damaging way. I would not want to have them next door to remind me. I don't know what the law says about this, but if you know the landlord, there's a good chance you could do this without having to go through legal channels.

I'm so so sorry this has happened HuskyDrake, what an awful tragedy :(

I do think you actually made the best choices you could to try and save your dog in a horrific situation. Had you kept trying to intervene yourself in a fight that resulted in two strong dogs dying you may not be here to talk about it :(

Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do legally about the breach of the terms of the lease, generally the requirement would be that the tenant remedy the breach (having a dog on the property without consent) or vacate the property, and be required to repair or compensate the owner for any property damage.

However, I commend you for speaking to a lawyer about what you may be able to pursue. It's a terrible thing for someone to get away with, especially when you had already told your neighbours about your concerns!

Again, I'm so sorry you've had to go through this.

HuskyDrake I am so sorry to hear what has happened to your dog and family. I can't imagine how you are feeling.

Melzawelza - what fines can be applied for this sort of thing under the act? Surely there are more fines that can be issued than just being at large - such as the fact that it attacked and killed another dog whilst being at large, for instance?

Assuming HuskyDrake's profile is correct and she is in NSW - the Council could issue a $220 fine for the escape and a $550 fine for the attack.

They could take it further if they wanted and actually issue a court attendance notice for the attack rather than just a fine - in that case the magistrate can issue up to the maximum penalty which from memory for a dog that hasn't been declared dangerous previously is $11k or thereabouts. If it had been declared previously (doesn't sound like it had been) the penalty is up in the 40k mark or thereabouts from what I remember. They'd need pretty robust evidence to go to court but based on the fact that it sounds like the police attended etc and that it happened in the backyard of the OP you would think they'd have plenty.

Edited by melzawelza

What an ugly, horrible, thing to have happen. I would be boiling with a stew of bad emotions: grief, hate, guilt, anger.

I don't think anyone has suggested going after the landlord. In your shoes, I would be insisting that the landlord evict the dog's owners for breaking a lease in such an overt and damaging way. I would not want to have them next door to remind me. I don't know what the law says about this, but if you know the landlord, there's a good chance you could do this without having to go through legal channels.

We spoke to the landlord, but she asked us to talk to the real estate.

We did, but the property manager send us a letter yesterday Said they contacted CTTT, but then confirmed that under Tenancy Act,no condition of the lease have been breached.

Therefore, there are no ground to terminate the lease agreement.

HuskyDrake I am so sorry to hear what has happened to your dog and family. I can't imagine how you are feeling.

Melzawelza - what fines can be applied for this sort of thing under the act? Surely there are more fines that can be issued than just being at large - such as the fact that it attacked and killed another dog whilst being at large, for instance?

Assuming HuskyDrake's profile is correct and she is in NSW - the Council could issue a $220 fine for the escape and a $550 fine for the attack.

They could take it further if they wanted and actually issue a court attendance notice for the attack rather than just a fine - in that case the magistrate can issue up to the maximum penalty which from memory for a dog that hasn't been declared dangerous previously is $11k or thereabouts. If it had been declared previously (doesn't sound like it had been) the penalty is up in the 40k mark or thereabouts from what I remember. They'd need pretty robust evidence to go to court but based on the fact that it sounds like the police attended etc and that it happened in the backyard of the OP you would think they'd have plenty.

The city council has identified that this dog was not a dangerous, even the bull dog owner told us the bull dog nearly killed another dog before.

As it is not a dangerous dog, the fine would not go for very high.

I am having trouble understanding this. I thought they weren't allowed to have dogs next door? And they did...Isn't that breaking the lease aggreement????

I was thinking about this dreadful ordeal during the night. Such a tragedy. Your poor beautiful Husky. Very, very sad :(

I read this yesterday and I really couldn't express how sorry I am that you, your family and your dog have suffered like this.

I honestly can't imagine what I would do under the circumstances (I know what I think I would do and what I would want to do).

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved family pet at the hands of someone else's pet.

Thankfully the other pet has been PTS/died but it won't be coming back again.

Hi guys,

We spoke to the manager couple days before that we want to these people move out.

I received a letter from the property manager of my neighbour's house yesterday, said they contacted CTTT, but then confirmed that under Tenancy Act,no condition of the lease have been breached. Therefore, there are no ground to terminate the lease agreement.

This morning I did some research and contacted CTTT by myself, they gave me different answer.

They said even they did not breach the lease agreement, but they did breach this.

Residential tenancy

In NSW the Residential Tenancies Act 2010 and the Residential Tenancies Regulation 2010 applies to most residential tenancies, including private tenancies, public housing and community housing tenancies. It regulates all aspects of these tenancies, for example, the contents of tenancy agreements and procedures for resolving disputes.

Under the Act and also contained in the terms of the tenancy agreement, a tenant has certain obligations towards neighbours and others. The tenant must not:

*cause or permit nuisance

*interfere with the ‘reasonable peace, comfort or privacy of the neighbours’.

A breach of either of these terms can result in eviction (Residential Tenancies Act 2010, sections 51 and 87; Residential Tenancies Regulation 2010, Schedule 1 Terms 15.2 and 15.3) .

http://www.legalanswers.sl.nsw.gov.au/guides/neighbours/property_rights.html

What do you think guys?

I thought I could not ask them move out but this information gives me hope.

Do you thing my case is suitable for this circumstance?

Edited by HuskyDrake

I am having trouble understanding this. I thought they weren't allowed to have dogs next door? And they did...Isn't that breaking the lease aggreement????

I was thinking about this dreadful ordeal during the night. Such a tragedy. Your poor beautiful Husky. Very, very sad :(

Me either.

The property manager spoke to my husband through the phone.

She said, they are just dogs and very hard to control.

Shit words always.

I read this yesterday and I really couldn't express how sorry I am that you, your family and your dog have suffered like this.

I honestly can't imagine what I would do under the circumstances (I know what I think I would do and what I would want to do).

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved family pet at the hands of someone else's pet.

Thankfully the other pet has been PTS/died but it won't be coming back again.

Thank you :cry:

when the police want to send my husky to the vet but have no item to carry my dog.

My neighbour and I made a simple stretcher with board and blanket.

But the police said the dog is too heave to be moved on the board, as only one male police there and others are female. To be honest, my dog is really too heavy for woman.

You know what happen, my dog somehow understood us and walked and lie down on it.

That was the last thing he did for me.

Whenever I recall this, I feel my heart was broken again.