Sun Bleaching

Hi all,

I haven't been on here for a very long time but seeing as A LOT of breeders/Showies and knowledgeable people frequent here, I thought I'd get a new password sent to me and log on.

I have an almost 2 year old Black WL GSD, I have never had this issue until recently (due to her not having run of the yard all day until 8 weeks ago) because I have had a knee recon and now am off work. Previous to this, she was kennelled from 8.30am - 7.30pm (No sun), obviously when she was out, was on my days off and half days. Otherwise two hours in the morning and same at night.

I have to take her to VIC with me soon (about a month away) and she has slight sun bleaching happening over her rump. I want her looking her best for the breeder and would like some tips on how to get her tip top again.

Some info:

Diet:

2.5 cups Performadog

5-8 Chicken Necks

200-250g meat

Supplements:

Ester C (for joints and general health)

10mL Wheat Germ Oil

5mL Coconut Oil

Sardines once weekly

I have started to rug her in the morning until late PM (Weatherbeeta Landa for cooler days and a light weight one for hotter days - We live in QLD)

I also use an undercoat rake on her 3-4 times a week

I will start washing her with Plush Puppy Black Shampoo 2x a week.

Are there things I should/could be doing to add to this or just hope it comes good/better in a few weeks with current regime. Usually she is almost blue-black and glossy (still glossy, just a slightly brown bum now)

Tips/Advice VERY welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Rhiannon!

Hi Rhiannon,

Not a showie/breeder but my 2cents worth. I wouldn't be washing her twice a week as it is too much. It will strip the natural oils out of her coats which help her combat the elements. I only use shampoo on my guys once every 3 week or monthly & I always dilute it, never put it directly onto the coat. I would up the sardines & add Omega 3,6, & 9 in the form of Megaderm perhaps. I also swear by Plush Puppy Sea breeze oil in the final bath rinse & I also groom with this. It is expensive but little goes a long way. Fantastic product. Protects the coat/ends & keeps it healthy. Both my guys are avid salt water swimmers & I find it really knocks their coat round. Especially top of rump & pants get bleached as well. This is what I do to combat that. Good luck :)

I give my chocolate lab livamol to keep his coat nice, and he doesn't have any fading at all. I think it's more of a preventative though, so I doubt it will bring back a coat that's already bleached.

Livamol can either blacken a black coat or cause any red tint in it to show up more so it can be a gamble using it on a black dog. Unfortunately there is nothing you can dot to fix a coat that is already sunbleached apart from dying it black again. You can prevent any more happening by keeping the dog out of the sun, adding supplements and using coat oils but the now bleached hair will have to fall out and be replaced to get rid of the problem completely.

I live in Qld and have a Black Newfoundland that I was showing, I feed the things you are plus ShowStopper Coat and Skin Optimizer with I think has made a huge impact on his coat. I bath once every two weeks now I am not showing but it was weekly during show time. His coat is black and shiny, might be worth a try.

Hi Guys,

Firstly, thanks so much for all the info!

BC Crazy - I will grab some of the Sea Breeze Oil and wash her only once a week (I used to wash her weekly when I was working and never had any issues) Do you know if I could dilute this into a squirty bottle and spray it on her as she is getting a backyard bath at the moment but will get a Hydrobath when I can get to one. She will need a big blow out too.

Hi Aliwake, I have fed Livamol and found that it put a reddish tinge through my SL GSD's coat so I won't use that, I also found I had to up the bones to keep tartar at bay because of the molasses/sugar in it. But it was great stuff for coat shine and condition.

Dancinbcs - I thought as much, I may just have to keep up the stripping and get her under a blowdrier once a week

Hey Mish13 - Where would I find these things? Just so I can look at getting them :)

Thanks again,

you guys are legends!

I have black dogs that i show & they run all day in the sun .im not going shut them up 24/7 & have no life so yes a slight red coat which can be seasonal & the bitches hormonal .

If its just the rump has the dog been chewing ??

Being locked up more may mean urine staining ,chewing etc etc

I have black dogs that i show & they run all day in the sun .im not going shut them up 24/7 & have no life so yes a slight red coat which can be seasonal & the bitches hormonal .

If its just the rump has the dog been chewing ??

Being locked up more may mean urine staining ,chewing etc etc

Hi showdog,

I had to shut her up as our fences are not 6ft and she will jump them. Her kennel was quite large so I never felt as if I were doing her wrong.

She is not due for a season until September and no she doesn't chew - her skin is in A1 condition. She also doesn't wee or poo in her kennel unless she absolutely has too. She has stayed with her breeders a few times and they say the same thing. They are amazed. Thanks for your reply though

There were studies done years ago that showed that black animals need approximately 6 times the trace levels of dietary copper than white haired ones. When I had goats I used to supplement all with seaweed meal, but the black ones had additional minerals. With the correct levels they never faded...

Rather than Livamol you could try a quality kelp supplement. Don't use if there are any thyroid issues though as it contains iodine as well. Great for promoting health, but not good for dysfunctional thyroids.

There were studies done years ago that showed that black animals need approximately 6 times the trace levels of dietary copper than white haired ones. When I had goats I used to supplement all with seaweed meal, but the black ones had additional minerals. With the correct levels they never faded...

Rather than Livamol you could try a quality kelp supplement. Don't use if there are any thyroid issues though as it contains iodine as well. Great for promoting health, but not good for dysfunctional thyroids.

Do you know where I would find this? At a local produce place or online? No thyroid issues here!

You can get coat sprays with UV protectors in them. Plush Puppy make one.

I'd be worried about the muscle condition on a dog confined so much - can you build her a run?

Hi,

for the last 8 weeks she has had run of half an acre with me throwing the ball for her twice daily (I was bound to crutches) Now we are swimming 3x weekly and running, along with ball play on "rest days"

While I was working, pre op, and she was kennelled during the day she was being swam and run 3x weekly, with ball play morning and night, along with walks. She is an active dog and if she's not tuckered out, we have holes all throughout the yard. Her fitness and condition isn't an issue. She also has 2-2 hips and 0-0 elbows. Im constantly asked if she is a farm bred kelpie or a Black Mal.

Thanks for your concern though.

Vitagran Seaweed meal you can get from a produce shop. If you google Pat Coleby you might find some feeding rates. She is an Australian farmer who has had great results over long years from improving mineral intake in her animals, both farm ones and dogs & cats. If you can't find anything let me know and I'll dig out a book for you.

Vitagran Seaweed meal you can get from a produce shop. If you google Pat Coleby you might find some feeding rates. She is an Australian farmer who has had great results over long years from improving mineral intake in her animals, both farm ones and dogs & cats. If you can't find anything let me know and I'll dig out a book for you.

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/vitagran_seaweed_meal

Vet-n-pet direct (they are near me and first ones to come up) stock it at 45.95 for 5kg (All I'd need as 20kg is TOO MUCH!)

They quote 5-10g depending on size. She is about 31kg at the moment in lean condition. Currently I am working to bulk her back up to a muscely 33-34kg

Regarding the Seabreeze oil R. I don't have a hydro bath. I have a Suds Pro. & a Booster Bath. Sorry not computer savy so cant link. I use a few drops in their rinse off & leave it on. You can use a little in a bucket of water & pour it over them.I use a little in a spray bottle mixed with water before I daily groom.

I give both mine Kelp liquid twice a week as well which does help. VetnPet Direct online stck this. I have tried Showstopper, but it didn't suit either of mine.You wont fix what is damaged but youll help all the new coat battle the elements & grow stronger/ healthier.

Edited by BC Crazy

Regarding the Seabreeze oil R. I don't have a hydro bath. I havea Suds Pro. & a Booster Bath. Sorry not computer savy so cant link. I use a few drops in their rinse off & leave it on. You can use a little in a bucket of water & pour it over them.I use a little in a spray bottle mixed with water before I daily groom. If you use too much the coat looks greasy/ wet & your wasting product.

Oh & try not to worry if peps ask you if she is a Kelpie. I often get asked if my guys are tri color or why they are red ???? Brown? I have b/w BC's :)

I give both mine Kelp twice a week as well which does help. You wont fix what is damaged but youll help all the new coat battle the elements & grow stronger/ healthier.

My favourite (read sarcastically) is "What breed is she?" "Oh you can get black GSD's?" "Are you sure she's not cross bred?" :laugh:

Awesome I will look into it as it can only benefit their health!

Personally, I like sun bleaching. Shows be damned. I can't understand why people think sun bleaching is beautiful in their own hair and offensive in a dog. A working breed should be in the sun, and there should be no shame in having its coat show it.

I have seen no evidence that sun bleaching does any harm. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

I'm no expert on this, but I would think that shampooing your dog as often as you do (and even once a week is way often, in my books) would leave your dog's coat vulnerable to the affects of UV. You're removing the natural oils from your dog's skin and hair when you shampoo, and I expect that would leave the hair less protected. I bath my dog probably no more than twice a year (admittedly, he's a short coated breed) and even then I only use Calendula Tea for the purpose - no shampoos that would strip the oils.