The Leader Of The Peiradise Pack

Guest Ams

Acheron was born in a rescue shelter in NSW known as Cordelia's Rescue. I flew down to Sydney and my sister met me at the airport and drove me to the western suburbs to meet him. It was a forgone conclusion to adopt him since I had already booked his return flight.

Acheron never really cared that much for me. He was obedience trained. He knew sit, down, stay, drop, crawl, come, spin, turn and say please BUT he was only obedient when he felt like it. He dissed me more often than not. If I took him to a dog park I'd have to ask someone else to grab his collar when I wanted to go home because Ach would always be just that poofteenth too far away for me to reach him.

In recent times he fell in love with Dan Poole of Phodography who would take him away for boys weekends at the beach or the quarry - all water related things that my dolphin furchild loved. Last weekend he helped Dan choose a new puppy and we were looking forward to Striker and Acheron being buddies.

He was the Leader of the Pack at Peiradise. A job he did extremely well with a constant stream of incoming broken dogs and outgoing dogs he had helped teach trust and doggy manners and all things pei.

I've had the feeling he has been "off" for a while and he had a benign tumour removed from his lower gumline earlier this year. Sadly this weekend Ach got really sick and today it was discovered his chest cavity was full of fluid. There was nothing that could be done that would give him quality of life so he has been given his wings.

Even this evening at the vet he was dissing me, wouldn't give me a cuddle and just kept nosing the door to go home. Well you are home now my precious boy, home with all the other pei who have crossed the rainbow bridge before you and hopefully you will continue to lead by example for those who cross after you.

Link to recent photoshoot by Dan of Phodography. https://www.flickr.c...57643138246923/

Edited by Ams

My heart is very sore, Ams. Yours must be a million times more.

Your work with Shar Pei and the love you gave was truly inspirational -- a word so often misused these days, but I use it here with deliberation.

You have been the saviour of many many beautiful creatures and your story deserves to be there at the top of the rescue annals.

Take care of yourself.

Ach was a major figure out at Peiradise. So terribly sad that he will no longer be at the gate greeting arrivals in real life, but his spirit will live on out there. You've suffered far too many losses Ams. I'm so sorry Ach was one of them. XXX