Advice Please

I would consider myself a responsible dog owner but today I feel like I've really let my dog down, and the man that was out for an afternoon walk. It's totally my fault I am coming here to get some advice. I want to do the right thing. Today my dog bit a man. He was walking down the street with his 3 year old granddaugther :( I had just got home from work, I open the gates and drive in and then close the gates. In the process my dog has seen the man and girl at the end of the driveway (about 10m) and she rushed out barking. She bit the man on the leg and came when I was able to get there and call her back. The girl thankfully was ok. My dog wasn't interested in the girl but that doesn't really make the situation any better. I asked if he was ok, I could tell he was in a bit of shock. 15 mins later he rang (sign in front yard, for a business). He was still very shocked. My dog had ripped his pants and left him with welts. Obviously I'm very emotional amount the whole ordeal. He said he wasn't thinking straight so I asked him could I give him a call or come see him tomorrow to discuss the situation. He said he had no option but to report her and said he had the number for the police on the screen of his computer. I said I can see where he's coming from but mentioned if he reported her she would get PTS. He said he would hold off till he was thinking a bit clearer.

So here I am with no clue as to what I should do. Obviously I don't want this to happen again and obviously also don't want to loose my dog. She's a nearly 8 year old german shepherd. She's always been a bit wary of man but has always be fine with kids.

For those that are thinking of commenting with no constructive help, don't bother. I don't want to hear it. I'm not looking for sympathy, I just need some advice of what's next.

Maybe approach it that you totally feel that what happened wasn't acceptable and discuss with him that you would like to show him that you are serious about ensuring it can't and install a safety lock gate at your property (second gate with enough space in between for you to stop the car while you close the first gate).

If all goes well with this man and he doesn't report you it would be best that your dog does not have access to the street whilst you are parking your car on your property. You and he are very fortunate that this poor man wasn't more badly hurt.

Contact Team Dog - they seem to deal with this sort of thing..

I would also look into creating a run for the dog - maybe let the man know that you are doing something along these lines and he may see no reason to report it, if he thinks you are being proactive in containing a dog that should be contained for public safety.

Good luck.

Can you fence her off from the front of the property so this is not a future potential risk in the interim?

I don't think your girl will be pts based on this one incident, particularly given you are willing to address the issue and it is a first time offense, no-one seriously injured, etc. Certainly not minimising it but just stating the reality in the hope it makes you feel better. Hopefully some other Queenslanders know of a local behaviourist you can contact, or call K9 Pro and ask if they could recommend someone.

It is not the end of things for your girl until you have exhausted all your options. Dogs don't like everyone so she may have thought this man was suss, but obviously you can't risk it happening again if she takes a dislike to someone else. Breathe, behave normally with her tonight and make some calls tomorrow.

Thats awful - poor guy. It may not necessarily follow that she would be PTS - she may be declared dangerous and you would have to comply with certain conditions.

I would contact the man tomorrow and offer to pay any medical bills etc and assure him that you are taking steps to ensure that this does not re-occur - creating a fenced area for the dog etc. Good luck.

I would be offering to replace the pants, pay any medical costs and try to talk to him about whether he would be willing to not report it if you take appropriate measures to secure your property, as suggested by kelpiecuddles. I think it would also be a good idea to follow up raineth's advice and contact K9Pro for advice and a referral to a behaviourist in your state, as well as conditioning your dog to wear a muzzle when you do leave the property with her. I think all of the above would go a long way to showing the man who was bitten that you're serious about preventing it from ever happening again, as well as obviously ensuring that both your dog and the public are protected from any future incidents. Should he decide to report your dog anyway, I would hope the council would look favourably upon you voluntarily taking measures to secure your property, seek professional assistance and muzzling in public and perhaps limit their actions to a an order that doesn't go as far as seeing your dog PTS.

Good advice.

Thanks guys for those replies, really appreciated. I have already expressed to the man that I know that my dog's behaviour is not acceptable. Hopefully both of us can sort it out tomorrow and have a good outcome, in both respects that this doesn't happen again. I actually have already offered to pay for new pants and medical costs if any, but doesn't sound like there should be any.

I will be ringing Steve first thing in the morning. I will also be doing the suggest that you guys have mentioned, first starting with fencing off access when gates are open, I can do that. Same with muzzle when in public, as minimal as that already is. My dogs get their exercise when I ride my horses most days at another property.

Not much more can be done tonight. Breathe.

I would definitely contact the man and offer compensation. Visit him tomorrow. Take a cake or a gesture of goodwill of some kind.

Learn from what has happened. Your dog is dangerous. Don't allow ANY opportunity ever for him to behave in such a manner and accept any restrictions the Council may impose on you.

Wild:

I said I can see where he's coming from but mentioned if he reported her she would get PTS.

Inaccurate and unfair. Your dog will probably be declared dangerous and guess what. She is. She displayed unprovoked aggression to a human being. That's what you should be focussing on.

Your first responsibility is to ensure that this never ever happens again. Secure your dog. Build a run, fence off the gates from the rest of the property. What ever it takes. Your dog can never afford to be unsecured near the gates of your property again. Treat her like the aggressive dog she very clearly is. Next time she could badly hurt someone... or worse.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Apart from offering the man any expenses incurred I would also tell of him of any steps you make to contain, train & ensure this won't ever recur & offer to contact him to show him proof that you have done this.

Otherwise he may think you are just saying this until the dog does it again to someone else because people do that. Frightening for him especially with a young child.

It's the risk to the child he would be mainly thinking about. You can bet he is very stressed about what happened. His grandchild. The guilt and fear it would have put in him. If he was by himself he may be a little less overwhelmed and stressed by what occurred.

Edited by ~Anne~

I would be offering to replace the pants, pay any medical costs and try to talk to him about whether he would be willing to not report it if you take appropriate measures to secure your property, as suggested by kelpiecuddles. I think it would also be a good idea to follow up raineth's advice and contact K9Pro for advice and a referral to a behaviourist in your state, as well as conditioning your dog to wear a muzzle when you do leave the property with her. I think all of the above would go a long way to showing the man who was bitten that you're serious about preventing it from ever happening again, as well as obviously ensuring that both your dog and the public are protected from any future incidents. Should he decide to report your dog anyway, I would hope the council would look favourably upon you voluntarily taking measures to secure your property, seek professional assistance and muzzling in public and perhaps limit their actions to a an order that doesn't go as far as seeing your dog PTS.

I disagree, DOLer's are always advising people to report dogs that rush/bite. I would be doing all the above and as others have suggested but in no way would I be applying the slightest bit of pressure on this poor man. And just asking not to report is pressure.

I disagree, DOLer's are always advising people to report dogs that rush/bite. I would be doing all the above and as others have suggested but in no way would I be applying the slightest bit of pressure on this poor man. And just asking not to report is pressure.

As much as I would like to ask him to consider, I do agree with Rebanne on this. I'm sure he's a smart enough man to work it out for himself to weigh up what he wants to do after I let him know that I'm taking the above measures.

This is true, but in the majority of such cases, the dog owner is not taking responsibility and the sort of action that Wild is.

Tough one.

I would simply be apologising and explaining what you plan to do in th short term to contain the dog while accessing your property and what your long term plans are to ensure safe access. I would also say that you would like to invite him to come and have a look once you have installed your extra fencing as you would like him t have peace of mind that you are taking this very seriously. The rest is up to him.

This is true, but in the majority of such cases, the dog owner is not taking responsibility and the sort of action that Wild is.

Tough one.

sorry but Wild is taking action that should never have been needed, it is a lesson we should all take heed off, don't allow your dog free access to the street.