Advice Please

I would simply be apologising and explaining what you plan to do in th short term to contain the dog while accessing your property and what your long term plans are to ensure safe access. I would also say that you would like to invite him to come and have a look once you have installed your extra fencing as you would like him t have peace of mind that you are taking this very seriously. The rest is up to him.

Yes I wold be inviting him back to see the work done. Cause lots of people say they will do something and never do, this is how repeat attacks happen. :(

Dogs just shouldn't be loose in yards with owners driving in and out. That is how the dog got out that chomped the little boy that got rescued by the cat.

I would want to know that you had taken steps to secure your dog in future when you have the gates open. If the dog is in the front yard I would want to see that the fence & gate were secure.

So what changes with this dog TOMORROW? What action can you take to secure her immediately?

that's easy, I have 4 panels (ones you see around construction sites, the wire mesh ones) stacked up in the backyard. I will be moving them and making a barrier from the house to garage. I go through there and can close that gate. Then I can open the other gate to drive out. Basically, its lock an air lock.

By the time he rings me tomorrow, that will have been done and I will have talked to Steve as well.

edit to add: The dog doesn't have access to the front yard. The back half of the yard to fully fenced, it was the side gate on the driveway being opened which allowed her access down the driveway and ultimately out the front.

Edited by WildatHeart

I would be careful what you say about the history if your plan is to avoid reporting but chances are you have already said to much .

There is no way i would be sucking up & begging nor would i badger the person to the point of making him feel awful/

The saying the dog will be PTS if he reports was way off base & not required given what happen especially given a young child witnessed this & may have the fear of dogs in her

You have learnt a very hard lesson of being to complacent .

You need a plan & you need to stick with plan forever no shortcuts from any family members otherwise its a n insult to this person

I don't have any experience with dog attacks so I don't know what the council will do if your dog is reported.

I do however think it's unfair to put any responsibility on the man that your dog attacked to decide if the measures you put in place are acceptable enough to make sure this doesn't happen again.

This responsibility lies with the council who have a lot more experience with both the practical and legal matters surrounding your situation.

I would encourage you to be open and approachable. Both of you are going to be upset. Talk to him but if things start escalating try just asking for a time out. Maybe acknowledge with him upfront how upset you both are. Ask his permission take breaks in talks when you're getting too upset and give him the same option. Hopefully if he sees you taking the correct steps to ensure it doesn't happen again then this can be dealt with without lawyers.

In my area the rangers are very responsive and try settle things amicably. If everyone can agree upfront that preventing a repeat is the ultimate goal and stay focused on that that will hopefully get you through. Be proactive and try breathe.

Wild:

I said I can see where he's coming from but mentioned if he reported her she would get PTS.

Inaccurate and unfair. Your dog will probably be declared dangerous and guess what. She is. She displayed unprovoked aggression to a human being. That's what you should be focussing on.

Your first responsibility is to ensure that this never ever happens again. Secure your dog. Build a run, fence off the gates from the rest of the property. What ever it takes. Your dog can never afford to be unsecured near the gates of your property again. Treat her like the aggressive dog she very clearly is. Next time she could badly hurt someone... or worse.

This. You (and I mean anyone) should not open gates which allow your dog to escape, it's similar to walking a dog off the leash down the road - irresponsible. It's common sense. Even if your dog was friendly - which it obviously isn't - it might still run up to someone and give them the fright of their life, attack a dog or a cat.

I did a homecheck last week for someone in a similar situation, I was horrified that they weren't even concerned that the dog they wanted to adopt would get out when they opened the gate. The other alternative that they voiced was that they could run their dog over .... hopeless owner.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

I don't know if it's already been said but I'd do a trip to the vet as well to make sure there hasn't been other factors you need to account for. 8yrs old and never bitten anyone before...just be careful in case you're seeing pain or a change in personality caused by something that needs addressing.

I spoke to Steve (K9pro) yesterday and got some great advice and information. I did get a call from Animal Management yesterday afternoon as well which absolutely gutted me in thinking now that council have the case they have to at least declare my dog dangerous or menacing, just to cover themselves in the event if it happened again. The man reported my dog but the Animal Management officer said he was amendment that he did not want anything to happen to the dog but just wanted a record against her name. Fortunately, that's all the animal management did. I explained to him the new measures I was promptly going to undertake to ensure that it cannot happen again and he was very happy with that. I will only receive a warning in the mail. I rang the man that got bitten last night and he said he was ok and his leg was fine. He said its done and dusted and he isn't holding any grudges. I am going to see him after work today to give him some money to replace his ripped pants and give him a cake from the cheesecake shop (thanks to who it was that suggested that, I like the idea).

All around, I couldn't ask for a better outcome and it was a big wake up call to never be complacent. New fence will be constructed by this weekend.

Thanks again to all that offered such great advice.

Wow how dreadful for you, the man & his grand daughter.

I'm glad it was a good outcome & that you have taken positive steps to ensure it won't happen in future.

Very nice of the old man to say what he did :)

That is a wonderful outcome for you, and I also applaud how proactive you have been in addressing this.

I do feel for you, but I have to admit I feel for the gentlemen that got bitten more. To see a large dog such as yours barrelling towards him so aggressively when he had his 3 year old granddaughter by his side must have been awful, and so frightening for the both of them.

He sounds like a very genuine, reasonable man to have handled this so calmly. To be honest if it was me I don't know that I wouldn't have taken it further. You know your dog, and you know that she is good with kids, he doesn't. That would have been my over riding thought, what if the child had been bitten. I assume that your sincere apologies and your immediate efforts to rectify this went a long way towards his decision not to pursue having your girl declared as dangerous, I'm pleased it all worked out in the end.