This Is What I Mean

Shadrack

but shes come so far with the glove? i started with any interaction, she got a click, then only touching it with her paw to get a click, then her nose, which started with 'forced interaction' putting it against her nose, and now she'll bite it, but wont hold it. She also does the same with one of her toys, she'll bit it, but wont hold it. i do intend to add more bjects to it, but gotta work on implenenting the cue word, not sure what it should be though, at the moment im useing 'touch'

yea, she does, but the problem is, with the trainer having come out, when she sees the clicker, she's learnt to focus on me xDD so she wont play with her toy for more than a few seconds before she snaps back to training mode, the only way i can get her to play is to pack up the training, so i wouldnt be able to click for the good behaviour anyway LOL i should be happy that shes giving me her entire focus

you pick an action and a word ... to me 'touch' is just that - touch . Grab, or get it ..could be used for putting jaws around an object ..and then 'hold"..or hang on , etc for actually holding it in the mouth ...

So pick your 'commands' to what rolls off your tongue ..and to which the dog listens :)

:o it's all very casual here .. mostly done with youngsters who enjoy chasing/picking up toys /apples "gettit" , and have been always used to me asking "what have you got?" , making it seem the BEST thing in teh world that they are carrying something which they trust me to not remove entirely .

I then say "gimme" and gently remove object - admire it with much praise ..and place it back in their mouth. I more often than not end up with a pup/dog who will come & show me whatever they are carrying ..and give it me with much tail wagging ....

So - we have 'gettit'.. & "gimme" for things I wish to have/see ... and 'what have you got" /show me for items they have and I may need to take away from them .... all very natural and casual ....

ohh so i should teach her the rest during playtime instead of during a proper training session? that does make sense, she can learn the 'hold it' command through play :D that would actually work haha. i am so not there with all this medication i didnt even think of using her play to teach her something.

Also we let Ace out tonight, and his lack of manners seriously hurt me, he knocked me down onto hard floorboards and hit my chest >__> all up he knocked me over quite a few times, but only once completely down. i dont know what to do about it, im severely sore at the moment and arent due for any painkillers for another hour, he didnt get a chance to scratch me coz im wearing a dressing gown though thank goodness. Mishka was good, she was gentle, and well behaved, but Ace had completely lost his mind the way he was acting LOL

Have you taught them to go to their place? I say go to bed and all dogs take off for their beds.

Also another one which might be helpful for you is "back it up" where they back away from me. Good for going down stairs or keeping them out from under your feet.

I'm so sorry for your situation and the others that have posted here too. I hope you all recover quickly. What about some baby/child's socks to cover their nails for a start? You could put some tape or velcro around them to keep them on. You might be even able to get some cheap from an op shop. What area of Melbourne are you in? I live out of suburbia but I'd be happy to take your dogs for a walk maybe once or twice a week if you were close enough and maybe others would be happy to help too.

Have you taught them to go to their place? I say go to bed and all dogs take off for their beds.

Also another one which might be helpful for you is "back it up" where they back away from me. Good for going down stairs or keeping them out from under your feet.

No they havent learnt that yet, i honestly havent even started teaching them that it never crossed my mind, i thought of stay and come and everything but never to go to their spot, ill have to look on youtube how to teach that :) They know back when it comes to doors, its back and wait. but they arent very consistent in an open space.

I'm so sorry for your situation and the others that have posted here too. I hope you all recover quickly. What about some baby/child's socks to cover their nails for a start? You could put some tape or velcro around them to keep them on. You might be even able to get some cheap from an op shop. What area of Melbourne are you in? I live out of suburbia but I'd be happy to take your dogs for a walk maybe once or twice a week if you were close enough and maybe others would be happy to help too.

Its ok, theres plenty of people worse of than me, so in a way im kind of lucky :) and im lucky that im nt likely to need surgery. well i spoke to my doctor again today, and the pain is aparently going to be here for atleast another month, then the actual recovery time for all the other symptoms is 3-6 months, but i should b back on my feet before then. im in the northern suburbs of melbourne, your thing says pakenham? i think im on the wrong side of the city haha. thankyou for the offer though it was very thoughtful and i appreciate it

Can you have Ace on a leash? That is dangerous to be knocked over :(

We brought Ace out on the leash, hes just so excited that he really hurts, i think i might get my housemate to do the exercises the trainer showed us to calm him down before bringing him to me, i miss him dearly and its so weird not having him with me all the time, LOL

Best place I've found for baby newborn socks for paws is Woolies - they sell them in two pair packs for four paws so us a bit cheaper.

Awesome ill take a look, its going to be funny putting them on him, he didnt even like a jacket xDD

Sorry to hear about your health. Shadrack :(

I have ongoing chronic health conditions. Luckily for me our Cavs are pretty well behaved and easy to handle. I am also lucky that I have a supportive husband who exercises them on the weekends and sometimes after work at night .

Almost a year and half ago we welcomed a puppy into our lives. It was pretty hectic and full on for a while i will admit, and it was hard work some days. I wouldn't have gone through it if I hadn't had my husband to help with her. I don't think I would go through it again as wonderful as it was. It was something i always wanted to experience, having a dog from the puppy stage. I will never regret it. ;)

On my good days, I try to stimulate them with playing with their toys with them and walking around the house playing little fun games with them. Its good i have them as they force me to make an effort with getting out of bed on my bad days. I've always been able get their tea organised and feed them before my husband comes home from work. He does the morning routine with them before he goes to work.

We were recently rehomed another one and Ive only taken him on because he has a very easy going nature and temperament and is perfect for our lifestyle. If he wasn't I wouldn't taken him on. His owner has had to find him a new home due to her illness, and knows she will have days where she can't do much for him. I think in her situation shes done the best thing for him and for her. Certainly wasn't an easy decision for her and she didn't choose to do lightly.

She's single so doesn't have the support of a partner like me.

So as difficult as it is sometimes owning dogs for me now , I can manage our fur family with help. If they had any serious behavioral problems, then I don't think i would be able to cope.

All the best with your situation. Not an easy one to be in when you own dogs x

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

thankyou :) and im sorry to hear that you have ongoing health issues, it must not be easy to live with.

My housemates have both been very good with the dogs, i sat down with Mishka last night and had a mini training session with her, cut short because i got breathless and really sore. and they've been giving the kids some extra loving in the meantime which is good, giving them outside play sessions, she took them outside yesterday for a good 3 hours or so, they came in and went straight to sleep haha.

The good thing is, i spoke to my doctor about my mobility issues and its not caused by the blood clots or anything, its all the medication im taking for pain relief, since most of my painkillers are morphine based, its making me really kinda lightheaded, so once i can stop taking the medication, i'll get my mobility sorted out, so the only issue will then be, the blood thinners, but that can be sorted when i an either get the soft claws, or some like arm sock things another member linked me to to protect my arms from his claws. Ill probably get both, the sleeve for my arms, and the soft claws for my legs and such. Coz i have a scar on my hand from his claws when he sliced open my hand.

if i where living alone without help, unfortunately i dont think id be able to handle the dogs, but with my housemates help, its manageable and i know its not permanent, so even though its not ideal whats happening with the dogs, i know its not for their entire life, which helps me feel a little better about the whole thing. and everyone on here have been supportive which helps a bunch. :)

I found teaching them to go to their place quite easy too so it shouldn't be overly stressful for you. Its great for when they first get in and are all silly. I tell my two to go to their beds and that's where they stay till they have calmed down and are relaxed.