Long Lived Much Loved Toys

I caught this picture of my puppy and her favorite toy this morning. It struck me that the toy had been her mother's favorite toy for several months, and has been hanging around the place since Xmas 2012.

Anybody else have any spectacularly successful toys to show?

post-8994-0-27915100-1400504578_thumb.jpg

p.s. if you don't recognize it, this is a wooly mammoth. Squeaker is gone.

Edited by sandgrubber

They best toy we now have is a JW Holee Molee ball that has all these holes in it that you stuff with things for your dog to pull out. Some use treats but I have a fluff monster so her ball is full of fleece remnants and doona stuffing. She gets it and pulls it all out and I pick it all up when she's finished and stuff it all back in again! She is so focussed on the innards that the ball itself is still in pristine condition after a year.

We also have this long plaited lycra strip with a ball on the end of it that hangs off the clothes line. It is getting a bit faded in the weather but when I hang the washing on the line two of the dogs take turns to make it incredibly difficult for me grabbing the end of the plait and running until it drags them back. It is about a year and a half old.

post-33739-0-37874200-1400562201_thumb.jpg

oh wow i wish i had toys that lasted that long LOL my two can destroy a toy withing an hour, so thats the average lifespan of toys in this house, even some of the kong brands are destroyed that quickly, only one which is the kong ball thing that you put the peanut butter in? it has like a hole in the bottom of it . im so bad at explaining, but that is the longest lasting toy in this house

Little gifts - you have given me the best idea - never thought about stuffing with fabric remnants - my guys will love this!!

I got the idea from someone else. My girl likes to murder stuffed toys (and human doonas and pillows) and this keeps her destructo desires in check. We haven't had anywhere near as much random snow falls since we got the ball and keep it topped up with fluffy tasties! Plus she doesn't drag the ball around so her mess is a bit more contained. Her eyes go wide whenever I bring it out - crack ball!

This is Ronin at around 10 weeks with his Snuggle Puppy

post-49154-0-12473900-1400645060_thumb.jpg

... and here he is at 6 months with the same toy!

post-49154-0-20380400-1400645134_thumb.jpg

The toy has had a few trips to ER for emergency sutures but it is still in pretty good shape, especially for a husky that can really destroy any toy he so desires :laugh:

Edited by Yonjuro

This is Baylee with Tigger. Tigger lasted for 11 and 1/2 years. He was Baylee's first toy when she came home as a 9 week old puppy (yes he was bigger than she was) and slept with her for her entire life. If Tigger was put in the toy box during a cleanup of toys, at bed time he was ceremoniously retrieved and taken up stairs to her bed, where he belonged. She would flea him every night on her bed. As you can see he was never destuffed but was suffering from small flea holes.

IMGP3086_zpsfa47df16.jpg

IMGP3106_zps925f31ff.jpg

IMGP3107_zpsf89bdb96.jpg

IMGP3100_zpsbeaedb88.jpg

Edited by grumpette

toys never last long here, even the toughest ones get shredded, gutted, eaten, disembowled etc by the boys but for some reason this humble little fluffy ball has survived since Feather was a puppy, that's 12 years now. I dont know how it's survived, but it has, and Neko loves it. So do I because I can throw it in the house without wrecking things.

11168229225_bfe5161682_z.jpg

I just wish my dog actually played with toys. Sigh.

He is the least doggy dog I have ever had. Won't chase balls or sticks. Doesn't play with fluffies. Doesn't chew the deer antler I bought him. Won't use a puzzle toy.

Sometimes, if you get him really, really worked up inside, he will chase one of the cats toy rats. But it takes a lot of winding him up first and it is usually short lived. And it doesn't matter how much you wind him up outside, he will not chase a toy, but he will do play bows to me and let me chase him around, with his bum down against the ground and tail tucked right under, turning around and play bowing at me, then taking off again with a big grin on his face.

So, pretty much any toy I ever buy lasts forever :laugh:

Edited by j

Little Gifts

I got the idea from someone else. My girl likes to murder stuffed toys (and human doonas and pillows) and this keeps her destructo desires in check. We haven't had anywhere near as much random snow falls since we got the ball and keep it topped up with fluffy tasties! Plus she doesn't drag the ball around so her mess is a bit more contained. Her eyes go wide whenever I bring it out - crack ball!

Wow i HAVE to try that, my two are notorious for chewing all of my stuff including holes in my mattress right through to the springs. My only thing is, you'd supervise closely with that? in case they swallowed anything you put inside? it would be good to let them have their destructive moment on something i wouldnt mind they destroy haha

Edited by Shadrack

This is Baylee with Tigger. Tigger lasted for 11 and 1/2 years. He was Baylee's first toy when she came home as a 9 week old puppy (yes he was bigger than she was) and slept with her for her entire life. If Tigger was put in the toy box during a cleanup of toys, at bed time he was ceremoniously retrieved and taken up stairs to her bed, where he belonged. She would flea him every night on her bed. As you can see he was never destuffed but was suffering from small flea holes.

Lovely pictures and an amazing story. Such a big girl and such an easily-destroyed toy!

love the tigger!

so cute :)

ours arent super long lasting as the dogs like to play tug with them and that ruins a lot of the soft ones.

We have stitched countless toys back together haha But they do last 2+ years usually (with the 'trips to the ER!')

Little Gifts

Wow i HAVE to try that, my two are notorious for chewing all of my stuff including holes in my mattress right through to the springs. My only thing is, you'd supervise closely with that? in case they swallowed anything you put inside? it would be good to let them have their destructive moment on something i wouldnt mind they destroy haha

It's no different to them destroying a stuffed toy or something they are not supposed to really but all toy use is supervised in this house for choking or fighting reasons. Toys are generally used in the lounge room when we are also there reading or watching tv so we can keep an eye on things. This ball is full of fleece fabric strands (which would also be the same as their tug toys and pom pom balls) and stuffing from toys, pillows and doonas they have already destroyed. So it is all tried and tested tasty stuff! I would never put any buttons or other small items inside it (ie no noses or eyeballs from stuffed toys).

My 1st dog lived to 18. There from when I was 11 years old till I had 3 kids of my own.

As long as I can remember he had a black rubber ring he found some where. It would go with us on walks and when he got tired of carrying it I would place it 'round his neck. He was not a lab, but we often had people think he was a guide dog when they saw me use his toy as a 'handle' :laugh:

That toy either followed us, or he found identical all his life through at least 6 moves and a year he was 'fostered' while we were over seas.

Haven't seen one like it since :(

IMGP3086_zpsfa47df16.jpg

IMGP3106_zps925f31ff.jpg

IMGP3107_zpsf89bdb96.jpg

IMGP3100_zpsbeaedb88.jpg

The nose wrinkles are killing me!!!