Honey - Glorious Honey

Hi all

I thought I would start a topic on good old honey.

We can't buy Manuka Honey in Perth due to the environmental protection of our own honey industry, but I believe our local Jarrah honey is better in some aspects than the imported stuff. I am not sure exactly but I read somewhere that Jarrah is superior internally and Manuka has some superior external properties, but both are excellent for both uses?

The Jarrah honey I have has a TA of 36+ and is around $28 for 380g, I am not sure how this compares with Manuka but would be happy to hear from those more knowledgeable than I. I can get TA26 + from a bulk supplier (farm direct to health food shop, in barrels that you buy how much you want) at about $14 for 500g.

One thing I discovered was mixing high quality honey with turmeric for a great wound healer and for hot spots.

I recently made up a batch of treats for my dog, I used 1 tablespoon of honey, around 1 teaspoon and turmeric and a teaspoon of pure virgin coconut oil. Then marinaded some chicken breast fillets cut to thin schnitzel pieces and gently baked. Then cut it into 5mm squares for high value training treats. I know some of the goodness of the ingredients will be lost in the baking, but it seems to be slightly more appealing (if that is possible :D ) to my dog and it surely won't do any harm.

Anyway, I will be interested to hear from others about how you use honey.

Edited by Yonjuro

Yes, the one I have is raw unprocessed. Nearly all of the supermarket stuff is processed using heat which destroys the active compounds and enzymes. The Jarrah stuff is a bit harder to get as the trees only flower under certain conditions. There are different grades/levels of TA available.

It makes me wonder if the Paws Manuka gel is heated in the processing, if so then it is really just the name Manuka they are selling it off as the particular medicinal properties of that honey would be rendered useless??

Hi all

The Jarrah honey I have has a TA of 36+ and is around $28 for 380g, I am not sure how this compares with Manuka but would be happy to hear from those more knowledgeable than I. I can get TA26 + from a bulk supplier at about $14 for 500g.

Anyway, I will be interested to hear from others about how you use honey.

That is a great rating for honey.

Juggling my memory banks, TA10 used be the start for honey with good medicinal properties.

We make use of honey for medicial reason for humans & furkids all the time.

My OH did a really fine job of gourging a long hole in his leg ( careless in his workshop). Needed 11 stitches. :eek: To aid his recovery I use Manuka TA15+ when I dressed the wound. Scar is nearly gone. And that was only 3 weeks back.

What does TA mean, Yonjuro? Bit of a numpty here :o

VM has already answered, but rest assured I also had to look it up when I was first looking to buy some good honey :D

Hi allThe Jarrah honey I have has a TA of 36+ and is around $28 for 380g, I am not sure how this compares with Manuka but would be happy to hear from those more knowledgeable than I. I can get TA26 + from a bulk supplier at about $14 for 500g.Anyway, I will be interested to hear from others about how you use honey.
That is a great rating for honey. Juggling my memory banks, TA10 used be the start for honey with good medicinal properties.We make use of honey for medicial reason for humans & furkids all the time.My OH did a really fine job of gourging a long hole in his leg ( careless in his workshop). Needed 11 stitches. :eek: To aid his recovery I use Manuka TA15+ when I dressed the wound. Scar is nearly gone. And that was only 3 weeks back.

The 10+ is my understanding as well for manuka, but I believe the manuka UMF(Unique Manuka factor)rating differs slightly from the TA which is a pain trying to work it out exactly. According to the Manuka association it measures the non-peroxide activity. Where as the TA measures the peroxide and non-peroxide activity I believe. So the TA number will generally be higher when compared to a UMF - confused? Me too :D

What does TA mean, Yonjuro? Bit of a numpty here :o
TA means Total ActivityBelow is a site I have used for Jarrah (Yummy) Honeyhttp://www.farmhousedirect.com.au/purepeninsulahoneypl/organic-jarrah-honeyHope that helps :D

That is a good find and a good price as well for people on your side of the country!

That is a good find and a good price as well for people on your side of the country!

Had a friend who lived in Fremantle. ( Now back in the UK).

She sourced the 'local' honey. I wanted to use local honey as a compliment to the bee-keepers in Australia.

During my searching I was horrified to find that a certain famous honey supplier mixes imported honey into its blends.

:eek:

As a consequence I only buy 'from the source'.

She sourced the 'local' honey. I wanted to use local honey as a compliment to the bee-keepers in Australia.

During my searching I was horrified to find that a certain famous honey supplier mixes imported honey into its blends.

Agreed - can't go wrong when buying direct from a good and known source i.e. the beekeeper

Honey is a humectant and great for dry skin.

Yeah, my wife is a beautician and came out of the kitchen the other day with honey smothered all over her face and hands... I was like "WTF???" and Ronin just looked at her and licked his lips :D

She explained that it was an excellent skin treatment, and I was tried to explain that the expensive honey is for the dog :laugh: Suffice to say it didn't go down too well :D

By the way, she also has nicked around half of Ronin's Calendula Tea for her own uses, if I keep using these type of things for my dog then I am going to need a padlock for his first aid box LOL

Agreed - can't go wrong when buying direct from a good and known source i.e. the beekeeper

I enjoy going to A & P Shows. Usually manage to find a good selection at them.

We have a local Bee shop. His selection is great as well. I get kilo buckets from him several times a month.

He has great quality honey.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Also make sure you know where the bees are sourcing the nectar! My friend's father who kept bees for many years is now suffering liver problems - every Spring he would put the bees out on Patersons Curse!