Female Dog Humping Female

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

I've just very recently noticed Lucy (2) hump Bonnie (1) it's generally around play is it over excitement?

I rouse on her and stop it when I see it.

They are both desexed I've never ever noticed her hump until the last few weeks.

Could be a bit of an attempt by Lucy to assert herself over Bonnie, could be a bit of an instinct coming out as Bonnie reaches full adulthood, could be just be a way of getting out over excited energy, could be something to do with your new neighbour dog hanging around and upsetting the balance a bit...

I think you'd have to take into account the whole of their relationship in general to figure out what might be motivating it. And IMO it's not an issue in itself unless it bothers Bonnie.

My four (including foster puppy, 2 boys, 2 girls) all swap around humping each other at times, I generally let them sort it out themselves as no individual seems too bothered but if it's always the same "humper" and "humpee" it could get a bit much I suppose!

Oops, I mixed up who was humping who, edited to fix!

Edited by Simply Grand

It's not just dominance. It can also be to initiate play. Various pugs I have had over the years have done this for precisely that reason.

I wouldn't worry about it and I certainly wouldn't be rousing on them.

Edited by ~Anne~

Guest donatella

I've only noticed the humping since we moved in here (since April). Lucy has always been the dominant one and has no problems attacking Bon over a toy on a rare occasion. Bon is super submissive and tuns the other way or hits the deck when Lucy even looks at her sideways in a 'stop right there' move. I've only noticed the humping during play and never had a female dog hump in my time :o

Thanks guys

Our staffy x (8 years old, desexed) humps Nala (7 months, entire) when Nala and Cleo play their "Dalmatian" games. It's like she gets stimulated by the activity.

I just let it happen, Nala doesn't get really annoyed by it, she just keeps playing.

Sometimes I think it's just fun for the dog ..or bitch. My neutered female will hump me of, and only if, my legs/body are covered up, with a blanket or something. It's great exercise for her, she's grinning like a loon, and I'm telling her she's cheeky and mad. Silly old girl she is. And no, in her case, it's not about dominance.

If the humpee doesn't care, I wouldn't see it as problem. Had a friend whose freezes male GR used to hump his entire uncle ...with no ill will all round. :-)

It's not just dominance. It can also be to initiate play. Various pugs I have had over the years have done this for precisely that reason.

I wouldn't worry about it and I certainly wouldn't be rousing on them.

I've got a rescue Chi cross here aged about 9 - Primrose. She's very playful, plays all day. With my last foster - a female Toy Poodle - she'd hump her regularly but generally it was after a lot of play so I put it down to excitement. It didn't bother the TP.

Now I've got Dudley, also a Chi cross as a foster, he's about 10. He and Primrose play constantly and Primrose always ends up humping him - he couldn't care less and she stops after a short while.

I will of course be explaining to new owners about it as I'm hoping to rehome them as a couple, they are cute!

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

It's quite interesting watching the humping shifting between my four. I think there are definitely elements of starting play sometimes, excited arousal sometimes, just enjoying it sometimes - I'm sure Saxon does it to Quinn sometimes just coz it feels gooood :o

I sometimes get the impression that Riley does it to whoever's closest because he's stimulated by what's going on around him but isn't quite sure what to do.

Foster puppy is still a bit clueless about it tbh at only 5 mths old so she tends to be the from either Riley or Quinn but it doesn't seem to bother her.

They all do it on and off all the time but it intensifies when Quinn's in season, last week during what must have been her receptive days they were all nuts, obviously hormones and instincts floating around but with two desexed boys, an entire girl who's never been mated or been around an entire male when in season and a girl puppy entering adolescence no one had a clue what they were actually supposed to be doing - there were all four in pile ups, boys on girls, girls on boys, boys and girls on each other, two on one, Quinn on her back hugging Saxon to her belly... it was pretty hilarious and there was no conflict at all, they all had a great time :laugh:

Edited by Simply Grand

Sometimes I think it's just fun for the dog ..or bitch. My neutered female will hump me of, and only if, my legs/body are covered up, with a blanket or something. It's great exercise for her, she's grinning like a loon, and I'm telling her she's cheeky and mad. Silly old girl she is. And no, in her case, it's not about dominance.

If the humpee doesn't care, I wouldn't see it as problem. Had a friend whose freezes male GR used to hump his entire uncle ...with no ill will all round. :-)

My neutered female only humps me after I brush her bum, with the biggest smile on her face. :laugh:

Both my dogs hump, surprisingly though my female does it a lot more than the male, he seems to have stopped after getting Neutered, he humped as soon as i brought him home at 8 weeks, but only humped my me or my stuff it was weird lol

My neutered female always humps, but only objects like her toys or pillows >__> but they never hump each other. they're just strange lol

And she'll also do it several times one after the other, i counted at one stage and she humped her toy 15 times before settling down to sleep , she was rather exhausted afterwards, but yes, they d get that grin about them LOL

Edited for spelling errors >_> i cant type

Edited by Shadrack

Really? I always thought it was a dominant gesture. I've never heard of it being as part of play.

Humping can often be a sign of over arousal or excitement. It's not something I would allow my dogs to do because IMO it's rude behavior often not well received by other dogs. My beagle is horrified if another dog tries to hump her and she would make it clear that it was unwelcome.

Edited by huski

I totally agree with you Huski. Zeus is an over-stimulated humper but I always make sure that if I haven't been able to put him in a time out before he hits over stimulation that I grab him and stop his behaviour immediately because I've seen some dogs snap at being inappropriately mounted (and I don't blame them for snapping either). Play can make dogs super excited and aroused that mounting almost becomes an extension of play in that the dogs are still jumping all over each other.

With a dog who gets this aroused I find it best to anticipate and prepare in advance. I know how excited Zeus can get if I let his excited playing carry on for too long so I find it more advantageous to leash him (if he's playing off lead) and have him calm down beside me and away from the playing. Usually I find a few minutes is enough then he can be let to go play again.

I liken it to him loosing his marbles -- he acts like an over excited toddler whose brain had just leaked out his ears with excitement!! :laugh:

Humping can often be a sign of over arousal or excitement. It's not something I would allow my dogs to do because IMO it's rude behavior often not well received by other dogs. My beagle is horrified if another dog tries to hump her and she would make it clear that it was unwelcome.

I agree with this - it's likely to lead to a fight with dogs that don't know each other and humping can definitely be dominance.

However - having had many many dogs through my house, in the case of the Chi cross that I have at the moment, she is simply playing, she doesn't do it at any other time and only does it to her playmate - first the toy poodle, now the chi cross. I have other dogs and she's never done it to any of them but she also doesn't play with them either.

Oh definitely, it's totally different with dogs outside of the family!

In general mine don't attempt it on other dogs, Riley used to try a bit sometimes and Saxon will occasionally have an attempt and I'll interrupt them as I know some dogs have an issue with it.

Edited by Simply Grand

Guest donatella

Thanks everyone! I guess I'll leave her be then it's not agressive humping and Bon doesn't seem to mind I guess lol