My Dog Suddenly Hates Me.

I had been to a behaviouralist before who said there was not much help for him and either keep him away from everyone as we do, or put to sleep.

:(

if he is getting worse ...then perhaps there is some physical thing happening in his brain ... but to find that out needs more testing/scans etc .

its at times like this it would be so good if they could talk ..and help us find the problems - and he certainly sounds one unhappy and worried boy

:hug:

I would strongly suggest you start using ADAPTIL in some form , just see if it lessens some of that anxiety at all ? maybe even spray some on your clothing as well ....

Edited by persephone

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously I've learnt my lesson buying a crossbreed dog

These problems don't seem like it's because it's a cross breed dog.

I have one. Well mystery ancestry. I don't have the kinds of problems you're describing and most of my friend who own mutts of various origins - do not have these problems.

Plenty of pedigree or even working line dogs have "weak nerves".

It's a pity he had to be sedated at the vet - hard to check eyes and hearing when you do that. If he's going blind - some of the anxiety and fear problems might be caused by that.

Vet check revealed nothing wrong with cruciates or kneecaps. A full blood panel was done and am waiting to hear if that finds anything amiss before I do anything.

He hasn't been too bad lately but still not quite right. He growled at me once today and I noticed he was physically trembling as well.

I don't think it's a dominant thing,more of an anxiety thing. He just seems stressed. He is very fidgety and seems like he's on edge a lot of the time. The wind blows and rattles things and he's up and looking around and actually came up and nudged me. Noises never used to faze him that much before, he'd hear them but not bother about them.

I think it's a case of poor genetics.

He's always been a hard dog to own. He's fear aggressive to people so a trip to the vet requires a muzzle and he had to be sedated and then knocked out for his check up.

Obviously I've learnt my lesson buying a crossbreed dog and I know it may come to the point where I may have to put him down,but I'm trying to do everything I can to help him and let him lead as normal a life as he can. If I had my time over again I wouldn't have gotten him, but I have and all I want to do is try and help him. :cry:

I had been to a behaviouralist before who said there was not much help for him and either keep him away from everyone as we do, or put to sleep.

How sad for you :(

A different behaviourist may offer you more help than the other one. It is one thing to keep him away from strangers, but very difficult for you to keep yourself out of his way now that he is having problems with you.

If you do need to have him put to sleep that doesn't mean you have failed him. It sounds like he has a strong genetic predisposition to be fearful. Putting him to sleep may actually be a kindness to him, if he feels anxious about a lot of things.

Yes I don't think it's because your boy is a crossbreed either Ringer. I have a BC with a pedigree a mile long & she is a nervous wreck to put it bluntly. She is on meds daily for extreme noise phobia & very high anxiety. Stella is a cot case at times. I think it can just be the luck of the draw so to speak. It can be genetic but it isn't so in my girls case. I too have had a Vet/Behavourist tell me the exact same thing as you. Life on meds for my girl or PTS :( I have chose to let her live & make sure she is as comfortable as possible. Whatever that takes. But if ever I feel that life is getting to much for her I'll give Stella her wings without hesitation. It will break my heart as I adore her but her quality of life must be my top priority.

This is such a sad thing to happen & I really feel for you :hug: I know how hard it is to live with a dog who is very fearful & anxious but my girl isn't aggressive towards me nor does she growl. That would just make it so much more hurtful even though we both know he doesn't mean to be nasty. Gosh I wish he could tell what was wrong it would be so much easier.

Can I strongly suggest you give Adaptil spray a go. Spray it on his bedding & collar daily. It has really helped my girl. I have tried the Adaptil collars but it wasn't nearly as effective as the spray. Thunder Shirt also very effective. Stella also has Mutt Muffs which work wonderfully well in thunder storms or if there is noise that is upsetting her. She also has the radio on softly every night otherwise she won't sleep at all. Paces all night barks etc cause she thinks she may have heard something outside.

All this plus meds & she is much calmer. Even has a little nanna nap in the afternoons now which was unheard of before as she used to run/cry & bark ALL day as well. It has taken me 3 years to get to this point though so there is no quick fix but maybe some or all of these things may help you & your boy. I truly hope so. Good luck :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. Means a lot to me to know i'm not alone dealing with this.

I am working with another behaviourist who is also a vet who although based in Hobart is keeping in touch with me via emails etc.

She too recommended adaptil so I will be buying a couple of them today.

So far all the blood tests except for Thyroid have come back. Everything is in the normal range.

I can deal with him being fear aggressive by keeping him away from people. He is still getting his walks as it's rural where I live so no chance of him running into anyone. I also live on acreage so he gets to romp around down the paddock chasing his squeaky bone toy. His quality of life has been as good as I can make it. It just seems that now he's anxious in his own home.

He's been better today. No growling at me and coming up to me for hugs and pats and leaning on me. He just doesn't seem like he was before. I don't think he'll just suddenly bite me. He gives off plenty of warning signals to let you know he's feeling uncomfortable with you in his space.I just want him not to feel stressed out and on edge all the time. If medication and adaptil will help him to relax then that's what he'll get but rest assured I won't be doing anything without the advice of my behaviourist and my vet.

I know it's not a crossbreed thing so to speak, but it's made me very wary of ever getting another one. It would be nice to have the assistance of his breeders to help me but they stopped contact with me once I started querying them about his problems. Obviously they were only in it for the money and couldn't give a shit about whether the dog lived or died.

My old dog is a crossbreed and you couldn't ask for a better natured dog. The only thing she hates is possums and thunderstorms.

Oh yes how simple things would be if they could talk.

As far as I can tell his hearing and eyesight seems fine. I know i'm not qualified to tell properly but his hearing is very good and it doesn't seem like he can't see.

Once again thankyou everyone that has replied, it's really helpful and good to know that others will offer their support and kindness. Means a lot to me.

Hugs ringer, I think your boy is lucky to have you, you are doing all you can for him.

It sounds like you're pursuing all your options, keep us updated, we won't have all the answers but we're here to listen and help where we can :)

To me the problem sound like a neuro one. He is the right age for something like CL which is now being found in many more breeds. It could also be a brain tumour or some other form of brain damage. All of which will cause him to be in serious pain. Be very careful handling him as he may suddenly become very dangerous. Sudden overreaction to noise is a key symptom for neuro problems. Check everything else out but if he gets worse make your safety top priority.

Edited by dancinbcs

dancinbcs

What is CL? It's not enough info to google.

I "think" it is THIS

excerpt :

This is an inherited disease, which is not contagious, but it is fatal and cannot be treated. It affects the nervous system including the brain. Ceroid Lipofuscinosis is known as Battens Disease in Humans.

CL has been found in other breeds of dogs i.e. Cocker Spaniels, Dachshunds, English Setters, Miniature Schnauzers, Rough Collies, and Salukis as well as in Devon Cattle, South Hampshire Sheep and in Siamese Cats

The occurrence of CL in Border Collies is not the fault of any one person or group. The defective gene was carried by an imported dog at a time when the disease was unidentified. Since then, CL has occurred sporadically, as most Australian bred Border Collies are descended from that dog. Therefore, no breeder can be 100% sure that their stock does not carry the defective gene.

Affected animals appear normal until aged approx 15 months. From that age any or all of the following signs may be noted:

• Unreasonable apprehension or fear of familiar objects/surroundings
  • sight disturbance,
  • abnormal gait – is unsteady on feet and has difficulty in climbing or jumping, tends to prop or goose step,
  • demented behaviour,
  • mania,
  • hyperactivity,
  • rage,
  • disorientation,
  • fixations,
  • loss of toilet training,
  • strange or abnormal behaviour

gawd - that Ceroid Lipfuscinosis is horrible.

I've got a friend who has a kelpie x cattle dog? She's a very solid kelpie - hence me thinking a bit cattle dog. And that dog has developed epilepsy - and is wobbly but not aggressive. Still a very nice natured dog. It's just sad that you'd think a farm dog would be completely robust and healthy and she's not. And the fits are getting more frequent despite being on medication.

Leads a nice calm city life so can't blame stress (often a trigger for humans). She was a bit of a cling rat tonight having had a fit in the afternoon and then was out walking tonight - and pleased to see me and my dog but stayed very close to us and her boss.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, just thought I'd give a quick update.

Have bought an Adaptil diffuser and it has been running for approx 3 weeks or so but has not appeared to have made any difference.

Under advice from my vet and the behaviourist he has been started on fluoxetine. He has been having an initial dose of one tablet a day for the first week and it is being upped to two tablets a day from then on. He is up to day 8 now.

Have been told it will take between 6-8weeks to see a change so now we just play the waiting game.

He still has good and bad days. He does seem more relaxed when my partner is home so i'm hoping when he gets a transfer from work and is home every night that this may make a difference as well.

As for now I just give him his space when he needs it.

Will keep anyone that's interested updated on how things go.

Thankyou all again for your kind words, support and understanding.