Help - Tips For Stinky Dog!

I'd try a chicken frame rather than harder bones. It seems to help with stinky breath too. Apple cider vinegar is great for yeasty and immune problems. Make sure her food is wheat free!

Re her anxiety and stress - Dr Schuessler's tissue salts - Nerve Tonic Combination 5 will help her.

Hi temperamentfirst, out of interest what exactly is Dr Schuesslers tissue salt nerve tonic 5? I've never heard of it. Is it like a type of rescue remedy?

I'd try a chicken frame rather than harder bones. It seems to help with stinky breath too. Apple cider vinegar is great for yeasty and immune problems. Make sure her food is wheat free!

Re her anxiety and stress - Dr Schuessler's tissue salts - Nerve Tonic Combination 5 will help her.

Hi temperamentfirst, out of interest what exactly is Dr Schuesslers tissue salt nerve tonic 5? I've never heard of it. Is it like a type of rescue remedy?

It is similar. I had a bitch who had only two pups and NOTHING would convince her there weren't more - somewhere, anywhere. She was so bad that the two pups were at risk so I spoke to a naturopath, who suggested this. Since then I have used it with a very anxious rescue dog and a visiting dog who had extreme storm phobia.

Brightstar 123, it sounds like her whole system is out of whack. I would take her to a Dr of Traditional Chinese Medicine and get her sorted out. I can recommend Lyn Stevens at Alternative Therapies at Camden or Neil Barnsley at Animal Holistic Therapies at Greendale. Labradors do smell more than most other breeds but what you are describing sounds like things are not right.

Thanks again for the suggestions - I've tried a few things already with some good results!

Beef stock as an additional fluid source is going well, she is having about 500ml low salt stock at the moment. Obviously not a permanent solution but will help to increase her drinking while we are dealing with the fear/anxiety.

I had some organic tea tree shampoo already at home, so I decided to try that after a trip to the beach on the weekend. Can't believe how much better the result is compared to Malaseb. No greasy feel to coat, pleasant smell which has lasted so far (early days though), coat is soft and shiny. So I'll look into a rinse/spray to leave on the coat as needed as well. Can't wait to try the ear formula, I just need to buy the ingredients.

I've been think about her GIT issues and my thought is that perhaps the diarrhoea is related a lot more to the anxiety. We all know fearful dogs bloat more than confident dogs and that fear increases GIT motility, so perhaps it's not as diet related as I thought. Although the dry food does seem to cause the least problems. I'm going to try feeding more raw meaty bones again as I definitely think they improve her breath a lot. I'm expecting problems at the other end but might see if I can last through it this time!

A bonus is that she seems to love natural yoghurt blended up with parsley, mint etc - probiotic, vitamins and fresh breath all in one!

That's so interesting about the corn chip smell, mines also fear aggressive and I notice and like that smell! We had a lot of problems with fungal infections, he finally ended up at SASH and they gave him a course of Nizoral, I think it was for about a month. Since then he's been much easier to keep under control.

I find any fat in his diet makes him worse, one piece of fatty sausage and his ears are itchy. I can't give him beef bones but he's ok with lamb shank bones. I cut most of the meat off and bake it for his dinner as it can be quite fatty. Chewing is very relaxing for him too.

I feed him salmon mostly and a bit of lean lamb or chicken and the royal canin frenchie food (but that's going to change to weigh control). I tried lots of different brands but he would get upset stomach or itchy . There's no perfect kibble but there should be one that suits your dog. I have to switch proteins every few days and no rice at all. It's a bit of a juggle but you get to recognize the signs of impending itchiness and I can tell if someone's been sharing contraband with the poor dog.

Edited by hankdog

I'm a bit late to the party and not an expert ... but... I'll add my 2 cents worth :) (With our own story, if that's OK)

Scottie is as stinky dog - itchy, oily, gunky eyes, farty. Also fussy.

Having never owned a fussy dog or a dog with allergies before I didn't make the connection between the symptoms above and his diet (bad, I know). Over xmas he went off all commercial food and I had to resort to cooked chicken and rice to entice him to eat anything.

Long story short - we've been mostly grain free since and all symptoms (other than bad farts) stopped within 3 days.

Due to his fussyness we often try new things but find he gets gunky eyes within 2 days if there is something in a new food he doesn't agree with. If that's the case we stop immediately, scratch it off the possible list and donate / gift what ever is left over.

We're currently mainly on a mix of Ziwipeak and chicken mince. It's not quite right as his stools are not great but it's 100% solved his smellyness.

Long story short - diet diet diet.