Triennial Vaccination Melbourne - New Vet Options Dandenong Ranges

Hi There,

My partner and myself have recently moved to Emerald in outer Melbourne in the Dandenongs. Our previous vet has been bought out by Greencross and I must say as much as I have loved the staff over the years the corporate lines and slogans that the clinic has now adopted is a bit off-putting and things like their 'twice for life' health checks sound like a money-making exercise. As we're now about half an hour away from the old vet it's probably a good time to start looking for a new one anyway. Our previous vet at Greencross after my cajoling agreed to biennial (wouldn't get in the specific triennial vaccine!) vaccination with kennel cough alone in the alternate year. Does anyone how a good vet in the Dandenongs or South-Eastish of Melbourne who is using the triennial schedule?

Thanks.

Natalie

Many of the vets now accept the concept of three year vaccination of C3 if pushed by the client. These then provide the certificate which shows the due date as three years down the track and many of the dog clubs and even some of the more informed kennels are starting to accept the vet certificate. So you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one down your way who is prepared to help there..... just ring around and ask each clinic......

Remember tho it is exactly the same injection and not a specific triannual injection that some vets seem prepared to offer at a higher cost.

Worth remember that the C4-C5 component for Kennel Cough - only has a 6 month life..... hence having this done annual is of no real benefit.... instead it is worth considering having this done only when you are feeling that your dog is at higher risk.

On that point, at our kennels we have a different environment..... 18 years and not one case of kennel cough..... we believe there are specific factors that play a big role as to whether KC is an issue.

Enjoy your new area.

I can highly recommend Dr Moss Siddle at Dandenong Ranges Veterinary Clinic in Mt Dandenong/Olinda. He will give a regular C3 signed off for 3 years (the current labelling actually allows for this) and we have KC and a check up done yearly. My dogs come in contact with a lot of other dogs through training, trialling and boarding and KC is a requirement for club memberships so I am happy to do that annually. There is no doubt stress is a huge factor with KC.

Thanks for all your replies. I too would be interested in perceived risk factors for kennel cough, I'm assuming boarding or in situations when in contact with a lot of other dogs? We are intending to foster soon through Australian Working Dog Rescue so this is one situation where I imagine it necessary.

I did a ring around. Last time I did so I got nowhere and almost everyone I spoke to said they wouldn't go anything other than an annual protocol. The clinic in Emerald said they will only do annual vaccinations and don't know anyone in the area who would agree to triennial vaccination (lovely) however I rang the clinic in Avonsleigh down the road and had a good and long conversation. Their protocol seems far more up to date and they work with owners. Also a 24 hour clinic which is obviously helpful. I'll try them and if not happy will try Dr Siddle as that's not too far away.

Steve Wait at Beaconsfield Vet would also be worth a try.

Not sure if Ultimate Vet Narre Warren Sth have the vaccines in stock but I'm sure they would support your choice.

I had the last triennial done at Stud Park so I know they stock it. I do the annual health check-ups elsewhere.

The problem is if they are restricted to another vaccine brand they have to buy 10 minimum of the triennial. Sometimes it's just better to go to who stocks it and request to be taken off the yearly reminder listings.

Aliwake and Natszar - You asked questions about Kennel Cough.... Here is the link to the Guru of work on vaccinations for dogs: http://www.hemopet.org/education/jean-dodds-veterinarian.html

A few points to know about kennel cough.

* There are 8 known types of kennel cough and there is vaccinations for two types.... hence why sometimes dogs might get KC even when vaccinated......

* Also the KC vaccination has a life of about 6 months not 12 as most Australian Vets seem to quote.

* Kennel Cough is not life threatening and requires no treatment except perhaps a bit of peace and quiet. It is only if the dog gets a secondary infection that medications are required.

Dogs who are stressed seem more prone to KC which is why often dogs can go into kennels (especially in very small cramped situations) this can be more stressful.

Older dogs, pups and dogs who are unwell are more prone to KC. So you will find places Rescue Kennels have loads of stressed dogs coming in and much higher risk.

It is almost impossible to sanitise a kennel to prevent KC no matter how many chemicals you throw at it - You can have 10 dogs and 1 gets KC and no others, but then next doors dog can catch it.... Very individual.

As I said we have not had any KC in our boarding facilities to date (doesn't mean we won't - just we try to create an environment to reduce the risk).

Things we do that we believe reduce the risk.... this is not scientific just experience.

We don't use chemicals - these can irritate the nasal passages of the dog and make them more susceptible (if it smells bad to us imagine how the dog feels).

Instead we use a blower and pressure wash when needed.

We don't wash pens with the dogs in the pen - they go out in the paddock so don't have to deal with any stress from us hosing.

We have large pens 18sqm that are well ventilated with deciduous trees that allows lots of natural light.

Small Kennel blocks with only about 10-15 dogs in each, hence reduces stress.

Plenty of large paddocks that allow dogs the chance to get out and run around - relax and make friends..... ideally a few hours a day in paddocks weather permitting

Minimal handling creates less stress - we have myself and one staff member and sometimes a school kid doing work experience - we have laneways set up so the dogs just follow us to paddocks and we don't need to put them on leads or try to catch them - dogs get to know us and relax in our company.

Large Kennels don't have these options but there are plenty of smaller kennels now offering less stress environments. As far as conducting some of your own rescue, chances are if your dog is happy and relaxed at home you will find she is not likely to be at risk.... the risk is more to the dog coming to stay.....

Hope this answers some of your questions - if not you are welcome to message me

May be too far from you, but Dr. Harry Corbett at Thrifty Vet Clinic at Bayswater - 03 97206800 - is an excellent all round vet. It's not about the money, it's about the welfare of the dog