Buying A Puppy

arir

Hi all

looking at buying a puppy and wanted to get recommendations of breeders around sydney people have used and any feedback.

ideally we are looking at straight back GSD,

Thank you in advance.

Hi all

looking at buying a puppy and wanted to get recommendations of breeders around sydney people have used and any feedback.

Thank you in advance.

Have a look at the GSD Puppies on DOL you will probably be looking at working GSD lines

Good luck with your search! You could even look at the state german shepherd club and work from there, some show lines will be straighter than others and the club might also have contacts with working lines. My state gsd club was so helpful with our search for our pup.

Edited by LoonyLuna

Hi all

Thank you in advance.

What are you going to do with this dog?

If you're looking towards "working lines" I hope obedience training and some kind of dog sport are long term activities you have planned.

I think we all now what the op means by "straight back", no need to be padantic.

I had no idea what the proper term was, and would certainly not be as polite if I was looking for a GSD that didn't look like a cripple.

The op came here for advice on a breed that's like a minefield, let give them constructive help. :D

The op came here for advice on a breed that's like a minefield, let give them constructive help. :D

dare I say it, the GSD people don't seem to think their breed is like a mine field. No doubt there are good and bad in the breed as there is in anything.

My advice is to contact the GSD club in your state and find a breeder that you click with it. Cause there is more to a GSD then just how level their topline is. You need to see them in the flesh rather then stacked for the show ring. Look at what else they do for the dog, what health tests they do, how they support their puppy buyers etc.

I think we all now what the op means by "straight back", no need to be padantic.

I had no idea what the proper term was, and would certainly not be as polite if I was looking for a GSD that didn't look like a cripple.

I actually think that correcting the term from "straight back" to "level topline" IS constructive help :) When talking to breeders it is best to use the correct terminology for what you want so there is no misunderstandings :)

As said do lots of research into what is out and about. Also have a look at lines doing obedience and agility (particularly agility) as they are less likely to be extreme.

Thank you for all the answers,

the dog is going to be a family pet only, well exercised and we want the pet to be healthy, that is the main thing and why we want to go to a proper breeder.

Thank you

Thank you for all the answers,

the dog is going to be a family pet only, well exercised and we want the pet to be healthy, that is the main thing and why we want to go to a proper breeder.

Thank you

Go to a local dog show or even if there is a speciality coming up in your area. If you go to Dogs NSW website, they should have a page where you can download the current months show schedules that will tell you when and where the next shows are.

Within each breed there are "looks" and "type" that will be pertaining to certain bloodlines. You will often hear XYZ dog is from ABC bloodline by its look or type. Find a "look" that you particularly like within the breed (a bit more than a straight back - I know what you mean :) then look for those with good temperament. Talk to the people there at the show.

Best time to talk them is AFTER they go into the ring - before hand they are very busy grooming/preparing.

After years of owning and breeding GSD - I moved away from them as I am somewhat concerned with the health both physically and mentally - many of the pets I see who come to class or stay in the boarding kennels, have issues.

Often GSD from the working lines have extremely high prey drive which makes them far to much to handle for the average family.

Some GSD have enormous early growth and trouble with growth plates - loose hocks are also a big concern.

My advice would be to go to the German Shepherd League Clubs in NSW - watch the dogs at the obedience classes and the confirmation classes. Talk with owners and breeders, see what bloodlines you like, shape and temperament.....

If there is a chance to go when they are conducting a Breed Survey you will see many examples of GSD which should help you find what you seek.

Be prepared to take your time to find what really suits you - don't get talked into buying a pup from one of those breeders who want to discredit everyone else because only "THEY know how to breed a good dog these days". There are a lot of questionable GSD breeders out there and they can charge a fortune.

Edited by alpha bet