Help! Best Thing To Get Rid Of Poo Out Of A White Coat?

westiemum

Hi All,

What's the best thing to remove poo of unknown origin, probably dog, from a white coat ? Homemade or commercial shampoo? What else?

Sarah has apparently rolled in poo while being dog-sat at the mothers while I'm at a conference - and the usual very sensible mother has gone into meltdown. On my way there now but please could I have some suggestions?

Happy to stop at Petstock or the supermarket if required or are there better homemade options???

TIA. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

I use Plush Puppy Wonder Block. Very effective on removing stains from white coats. Otherwise Biogroom make a very effective dry shampoo called Quick Clean for horses actually but I use it often when we are away to remove anything lovely & smelly that Stella has decided would make a nice perfume :laugh:

OK thanks all - drama over and we now have one clean but wet Westie! Mum had used velvet soap but she still smelt. So I got there via Petstock and a tube of Blackmores shampoo (the only one they had without oatmeal which makes her itchy). Seems to have worked fine.

The baby wipes is a brilliant idea - as is the detergent as a back- up - thanks all - can't upset the Westie sitting at this stage!

With a really "organic" rolling agent, it can take a few washes to lose the smeil. eek1.gif

Baby wipes are a dog owner's dream. I have a packet in the front door pocket of my car and several at home. Good for vomit, poo, wee ... all the fun stuff

A friend of mine dusts her house with them. biggrin.gif

I could tell you about the time Lily, my white poodle, found HUMAN poo to roll in on a bush walk. OMG, the smell :vomit: She was covered in it. My friend gagged out the window all the way home and I grabbed rubber gloves and got her into the laundry tub when I got there.

I was tempted to use bleach that time [joking here]

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Im another baby wipes fan. Big time. I swear buy them. For all really messy accidents. Muddy dirty feet. Whatever. They have a multitude of uses. I just buy the Aldi ones find they are the best :)

My darling girl did the exact same thing HW. She found some really fresh 'human' poo ar our local beach & rolled in it. Charming...

Edited by BC Crazy

With a really "organic" rolling agent, it can take a few washes to lose the smeil. eek1.gif

Baby wipes are a dog owner's dream. I have a packet in the front door pocket of my car and several at home. Good for vomit, poo, wee ... all the fun stuff

A friend of mine dusts her house with them. biggrin.gif

I could tell you about the time Lily, my white poodle, found HUMAN poo to roll in on a bush walk. OMG, the smell :vomit: She was covered in it. My friend gagged out the window all the way home and I grabbed rubber gloves and got her into the laundry tub when I got there.

I was tempted to use bleach that time [joking here]

This very thing happened to me... White dog & human poo :eek: I washed her a good 5 or 6 times until the smell went.

I would just use normal dog shampoo & wash a few times until it comes out.

I have travelled extensively with my cockers (in full coat) around Australia by car and believe me they found some dreadfully PONGY things to roll in along the way !!! Travelling for hours and hours with stinky dogs in the car was definitely not something that I could tolerate !!

A really good, long soaking and sudsy bath is the best method but if this isnt possible then try this one ......Firstly remove as much of the offending solid material that might be adhered to the coat.... baby wipes are great for this, then spray the area lightly with water. Sprinkle liberally with bicarb, rub in well with a paper towel. Brush vigorously. Spray again lightly with water then apply potato flour. Repeat the paper towel and brush. Spray again with water then liberally cover area with Johnsons baby powder, rub it well into the area and then brush.

Repeat the cycle several times and things should be sparkley pretty quickly.

The bicarb helps to neutralise much of the PONG, the potato flour is great for drying and whitening so that the next stage can work better. The JBP is great for getting rid of any remaining odour (it's originally designed for babies bottoms !!) and it also helps to whiten a little.

My dog's worst effort was something that closely resembled sump oil. I tried increasing levels of soap intensity to get it out, with warm water... eventually resorted to omo enzyme based washing powder - that worked.

rinse thoroughly and then some. And no more visits to the home of the sump oil. Even dead sea critter smell was easier to remove than sump oil or power steering fluid or whatever it was.

She did it again at the local park - found something that had leaked out of the council tractor mower and rolled in that... actually I think she was just trying to get belly rubs and picked a bad spot to roll over. Blue oily substance. Omo fixed again. ARGH.

For any sort of poo or mud, pack with potato flour and allow to dry before brushing out with a cheap bristle brush. Great for long coated dogs if they have the runs. Much faster and easier than washing every time. If there is still a smell use Plush Puppy Wonder Wash that you spray on, lather and rub off with a towel for a waterless wash. It removes stains and odour including axel grease, with no trace.

Corn flour also works. Get as much of the gunk out of the coat, dampen a bit if need be (you can use some water/wonder wash it get a bit more out if really bad) then apply a mix of dry corn flour and bicarb to the damp coat. Rub through coat and allow a few minutes to dry and soak it up. Then brush out.

My boys are pretty pristine - but Saraheek1.gif If there's something gross around she'll find it - I'm sure it's her version of perfume!!! My gorgeous grubby girl!!! Thanks for all those great ideas - potato flour also on the list. She gets a grubby bottom every now and then. Meantime she's pretty good at the moment after three baths yesterday. One thing - I've also cleaned her ears with Epi-Otic as her ears and head were pretty smelly and I was scared she might have got poo actually in her ears.

Great Sunday morning conversation!!! rofl1.gif

Lucky are those that don't have a dog that rolls. Lil loves to perfume herself. eek1.gif

So far we've had:

* duck and cow poo (fresh is best according to Lil)

* Human poo

* rotting carp

* a rotting kangaroo carcass (she was inside the rib cage and rolling around happily)

I have been tempted to use Biozet or one of those enzyme based detergents but have stuck to sunlight and dog shampoo

Before I use anything on my dogs, I wash my hands in it first. I heard once that to get stains out you can use Sards soap. I tried it & it dried my hands out terribly, so what it did to the dogs skin, I can only imagine. :(