Dog Trainer Or Behaviourist Recommendations In Or Near Canberra

louise6616

Hey all,

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad), and can recommend a good dog trainer or behaviourist in or near canberra?

Hoping for some feedback!

Looking for someone that focusses on positive reinforcement, marking/clicker training.

Thank you!!

sorry, was trying not to give too much info as don't want to offend anyone...

Yes, my CC.

The issue is aggression.. Its a territorial 'protect my circle' aggression, mixed with a little bit of fear aggression.

Unfortunately I was given some advice when I first took him on.. which in hindsight has been detrimental in forming the trust/relationship. So now needing a professional to help me in correcting the behaviour.

He is extremely loyal and loving in the home, but super protective.

Need to work on positive reinforcement of the relationship between he and I so he learns to trust that I am going to protect him, rather than he feeling it is his job to protect us.

oops forgot his age.. he's around 18months

Edited by louise6616

For aggression, there is no one in Canberra I would recommend. x 2 if we're talking about HA.

Go and see K9Pro in Sydney. Best in the business. You need someone who genuinely understands and deals with aggression AND that actually gets results, especially with large and powerful dogs. He stands between such dogs and the green dream regularly.

Ditch the "purely positive, clicker training" thinking for this issue. That doesn't mean you have to abuse your dog but you need to deal with a trainer who will work with a range of methods to make you and your dog safe.

Steve can tell you many a story about the people who come to see him after lack of results with other trainers. Like the lady whose LGD dragged her 100m on a halti to attack another dog. The trainer said she'd be able to control her powerful aggressive dog with a "kind" halti. Riiigght.

Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Start doing NILIF and TOT now. I'd also suggest you start considering that the behaviour you are seeing may not be your dog "protecting" you.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Its a territorial 'protect my circle' aggression, mixed with a little bit of fear aggression.

as said - you need serious "first time , ONLY time" advice .

Steve is my first thought - at least contact him by phone/email , and ask his opinion . He may know of someone suited to your situation - but, yes. if you can wrangle it - he has the experience and expertise for all things aggression and large dog .

Oh- video some of the behaviours shown ... that is such a good thing to show professionals with whom you are dealing . !!

edit to add this does NOT mean setting up a situation !! :o I just thought you may grab a few seconds worth if/when it happens ... sorry for any confusion ...

Edited by persephone

Oh- video some of the behaviours shown ... that is such a good thing to show professionals with whom you are dealing . !!

Except then you are deliberately triggering the dog to aggress. Not something I'd recommend.

Except then you are deliberately triggering the dog to aggress. Not something I'd recommend.

can't it just be done with an iPhone as it happens? I certainly do NOT mean to set up a situation - apologies :( I just thought that if/when it happens next -and there is no imminent danger - they whip out a phone camera and video some seconds worth or something ....

great advice thank you everyone.

i have a good friend who is a dog trainer/animal behaviour ist, i have consulted with him ~ which is why i was wanting the positive, marking type training (he is a considerable distance away so was hoping for someone closer).

(our issue is not other dogs, but people! inside and outside of the home )

yes, i agree, someone that understands the breed would be great ! i'll get in contact with Steven and see what he suggests ~ sydney is not that far away, certainly doable.

Does anyone know how much Steve charges for the 2hr behaviour consult? For some reason I can't get to the 'training' tab on his website, it says 'oops this page is broken'.

Just call him and speak with him directly.

Was just curious if anyone knew a rough ball park figure, then I could just book in and discuss it with him then (was trying to avoid describing behaviour by phone, but rather just letting him see it in person).

Anywho! I will call him on monday and see how we go!

I went to see Steve (I am in Queanbeyan) for a two hour consult with some training issues I was having.

In less than two hours, he had basically solved my problems and the follow up was awesome - I think it is 8 weeks of emails back and forth, updates and further suggestions.

It was less than a few hundred dollars but our issues were easy for him to deal with.

I would do it again in a heartbeat and wish I had done it 12 months earlier..

100% recommend him.