Diet For Older & Little Overweight Cavalier Ks Spaniel

Hi, Our dearly loved 11 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel "Mickey" needs to lose a little weight.

firstly - have been researching but end up getting conflicting answers about how many calories he needs per day - can anyone help me here? - he has a walk each day but otherwise he is slowing down

also, anyone have a successful diet they have fed their lovely pooch?

Thank you in advance :D Really appreciate any replies

Jo

hello :)

feed him what you normally feed - but cut it back by 1/2 for a while , Avoid fatty treats like dog 'lollies' , pigs ears etc .... and get him excited about things like thin slices of apple or sweet potato or carrot ..browned in a non stick pan ..and cooled :)

That's an easy way .. other will have different regimes . I like having their tummies shrink a bit - not be filled with a lot of low calorie 'filler' ... and provided he has had a vet check to rule out any disease ..he should feel much fitter over time .

I agree look at what your are feeding currently adjust the quantities & that also includes treats & snacks & everyone in the house must be honest.

Feed two small meals all our oldies get 2/3 meals a day .

Weight her & monitor how things go after a month

My Cavalier boy puts weight on if he looks sideways at food whereas my girl never seems to gain extra weight.

What I do is cut down on the quantity of food and bulk it up with cooked pumpkin. Low in saturated fat, few calories and som added vitamins. This seems to work well to get the weight down.

Hey,

I have a 14 year old, tiny Cav. She is deaf and blind now but has had terrible skin allergies and LOVES her food. To keep her weight down she is on tuna (in brine) and rice and gets a big bowl for dinner. I will put in a raw egg once a week or so.

She also has pancreatitis hence the no fat in her diet.

It keeps her in good condition. :)

Guest donatella

My 2.9kg round fatty (and she's pudgy at that) has been put back on Vets All Natural Weightloss with Kangaroo mince (human grade from Coles it's very lean).

Have you given your Poms a Cavalier friend, donatella?

The Cavalier breed is very prone to being overweight. My vet often mentions it's great to see that my Cavs are not obese. Most of the Cavs he see are overweight.

Guest donatella

Nope still the 2 Poms here, my little one just blows up and she's got bad patellas so long walks aren't best form of exercise for her as yet. She is food obsessed though and will eat just about anything, has no stop switch. My other one is tall and lean, never had a problem with her weight or food.