What Breed?

Lloyd

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelpies blow their coat once a year so they shed a bit always and then once a year have a big shed. I can't handle lots of dog hair and I just use a deshedding rake on her(furminator type one) and doing that every couple of weeks and a really good brush out when she blows her coat she doesn't shed much :)

Border Collies shed a lot, in easy to clean up clumps, twice a year for a few weeks. The rest of the year, shedding is minimal and easily contained by a good weekly brushing. Short double coats like GSDs shed one hair at a time 365 days a year and it gets into everything. The worse shedder I have ever owned was a Labrador, which also has a short double coat. They shed so much more than the Borders do.

Are you Rural or suburbs,?

What type of fencing do you have.?

How much grooming are you able to do each week?

Would you take the dog to groomers for clipping or learn to do it yourself ?

Anyone in the house with dog Allergies.?

What activities / or work do you want to do with the dog ?

Have you owned or trained a dog before?

Will the dog sleep indoors or outdoors in a kennel ?

Do you have young children?

What other pets or livestock do you have ?

Do you want a protective dog; a watch dog;or is friendly to everyone who visits?

not sure about borders and kelpies but I used to work for an car auction place doing car detailing. We got the ex cops cars and the backs of the K9 units were completely covered in GSD hair and slopper, it was pretty gross

What about a Schnauzer of the Standard or Giant form? I only have experience with the mini variety and I know the different sizes are almost like 3 separate breeds so hopefully others with experience in the two larger sizes will have more input as to whether they would be a viable option.

I also agree with what others have said in that training will be crucial in having the dog you wish to own. I am not sure what breed will tick all of your boxes, but careful selection of breeder and a professional trainer will certainly give you the best chance of fulfilling your desires.

Trainability, Loyalty, Responsive, Doesn't bark too much, Doesn't Shed or Drool Much, Not High-strung, Willing to work, Even Temperament, Won't try to kill livestock or small animals, Not to small a dog, Doesn't have a tendency to bite, Can spend a lot of time outside or by itself if needed, Can think for itself like a GSD

Apart from the bit bolded above, you have described a Border Collie. Any loyal and highly trainable breed will want to be with their trainer, not stuck alone in a yard. Many dogs cope alone while the owner is at work but if they spend that time alone, they should be with the family the rest of the time.

What I mean by can spend a lot of time alone is for a single working person. The dog has to be able to spend time by itself while I'm at work.

I never noticed excessive shedding from my GSD's and I had 5 over the years.

To the OP, what is it you don't like about GSD's? Seeing as how you want a dog like a GSD but not a GSD.

Shedding and I heard they drool.

I heard they drool.

have you thought about perhaps visiting folks who own various breeds ? or go to a show- there you can hear/see/touch the dogs, talk to owners, and know a lot more for yourself :) Any dog will drool to a certain extent - if there is food to be had , if it is excited/hot, has had a drink

Dogs which DROOL are the ones with that floppy look - stBernards/dogues/boxers ..for example :)

Are you Rural or suburbs,?

What type of fencing do you have.?

How much grooming are you able to do each week?

Would you take the dog to groomers for clipping or learn to do it yourself ?

Anyone in the house with dog Allergies.?

What activities / or work do you want to do with the dog ?

Have you owned or trained a dog before?

Will the dog sleep indoors or outdoors in a kennel ?

Do you have young children?

What other pets or livestock do you have ?

Do you want a protective dog; a watch dog;or is friendly to everyone who visits?

Rural, good fencing(reasonably dog proof), Grooming-as long as its not more than every two-three days most of the year, I would clip the dog myself if necessary, no allergies, herding when needed if the dog can do it or I'd would do something else with it that would burn off the energy, I haven't owned a dog before because I wasn't allowed one but have had a fair amount to do with them (I quite often can get a dog to follow me rather than the owner) and have seen training in action, will have a part indoor and outdoor kennel with large run, no children, goats, rabbits, chickens are the livestock, watch dog preferable.

What about a Schnauzer of the Standard or Giant form? I only have experience with the mini variety and I know the different sizes are almost like 3 separate breeds so hopefully others with experience in the two larger sizes will have more input as to whether they would be a viable option.

I also agree with what others have said in that training will be crucial in having the dog you wish to own. I am not sure what breed will tick all of your boxes, but careful selection of breeder and a professional trainer will certainly give you the best chance of fulfilling your desires.

I wouldn't be able to get a Schnauzer as they are not liked by family. They think that they are scruffy mutts.

I never noticed excessive shedding from my GSD's and I had 5 over the years.

To the OP, what is it you don't like about GSD's? Seeing as how you want a dog like a GSD but not a GSD.

Shedding and I heard they drool.

Mine never drooled and as I said I didn't think they shed excessively