Pet Bereavement Leave

Just saw a story on this. What do you think?

Should there be some kind of bereavement allowance for when we lose pets?

I don't know if there is really a need, I mean, even when we lose family members we don't get a huge amount of time off, usually a few days max in my experience, so not that different to taking a few sick days :shrug:

Having said that, I do think employers should be respectful of people needing a little time, it's a nice touch anyway. My last boss was great, a fellow animal lover, and when I came in late one day because one of my rats had escaped, she told me to go back home :laugh:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as much as I love my pets my answer would be no. If I am choosing to PTS and can pick the day I do so then I do it on days I am not working. If I don't get to choose the time and I am supposed to work then I use my sick leave or take leave without pay.

Most employers already offer bereavement leave anyway and it's up to the individual to use it. I don't feel there should be extra bereavement hours allocated for pet death, but I do think that a person should have the choice to use their current allowance on the death of a pet.

I think I'm allowed one day of bereavement leave per year and I haven't needed to use it for a few years. If I choose to use my allowance for pet death then that's all I get that year and any deaths following would be used as sick or annual leave.

Considering the Rio Tinto boss can't/won't name the union that made the claim, I would take this report with a grain of salt.

Having said that I have used my annual leave to deal with having to put a pet to sleep. I do know of people who have used personal (was called sick) leave days as well.

I wouldn't expect special leave days though.

Carers and sick leave is normally lumped into one bucket - 10 days. You can take it to go to funerals, look after sick family members or take dick leave. I think it is reasonable to take one or two of these days if a pet dies. (Ie they are not extra days).

BTW, the whole story is a best up. The mining company won't name the union and the unions have said they haven't asked for it .

Guest donatella

Yes they're family and commitment. I've often had to leave work early to go to the vets and thankfully never had an employer have a problem. I will be a mess when mine go so will need a day to grieve I could not face clients.

Guest donatella
You can take it to go to funerals, look after sick family members or take dick leave

Dick leave? Could you please define that? :rofl:

LOL!!! Best auto correct ever!!

I wouldn't expect extra leave but in my workplace I would probably call in sick. (got plenty of leave)

I would say that I'd be in no fit state to work anyway.

Telling our workplace why you are away will get you " it's only a dog".

One young worker had 3 days off after her dog died thou she wasn't particularly into dogs normally. My boss was fine with this at the time but work pressure/workload has made this type of thing less likely.

Hope I won't need to worry for a while yet!

I think an workplace that allows for compasionate leave, should allow for pet death to be an eligible use for that. Really, carers and family leave is often allowed, why is it not recognised that pets fill that part of some people's lives?

I don't think it should be a statutory entitlement, I'm happy with it to be discretionary. When my family dog died when I was in Sydney, my employer gave me a few days off to fly back home. I have no doubt that any of my other places of work would have done the same thing.

I also vote no. I love my dogs and will mourn their passing but I don't think my employer should have to give me special leave for that.

I agree. I've never had a problem with an employer understanding my loss.

I don't think it should be a statutory entitlement, I'm happy with it to be discretionary. When my family dog died when I was in Sydney, my employer gave me a few days off to fly back home. I have no doubt that any of my other places of work would have done the same thing.

A good employee makes a good boss and vice versa - generally speaking. Both can be arseholes. :shrug: