11 Year Old Greyhound In Renbury

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leg warmers are a must. BnW I only have one pair do you have a spare pair otherwise...well...he's just going to look silly.

Track pants would be easier, no? Maybe a flannie.

My dogs have leg warmers. All the most fashionable dogs are seen in hug-a-lugs/babylegs ;)

Hhmmm they wouldn't be very long on the Bassett KC, they'd be wrist warmers for the greyhounds lol

It's official! Ben is now safe with Brandiandwe and will be back to couch surfing in a few hours :cheer:

Huge thanks to Brandi for offering him a couch while he looks for a place to call his own and to everyone else who helped to pull this one off.

He's home! Thank you to everyone involved here.

We arrived out at Renbury with Hermon, our biggest and top dog. The staff's faces were a picture - they though we were there to surrender Hermon! DH had been given strict instructions not to give the dog to ANYONE so I explained that I'd heard there was an 11 year old grey here called Ben. Was he still there? Faces changed, a few quick questions about H-Dude and she walked back into the shed.

Then Ben appeared. He could barely walk, his legs were shaking so bad, and his eyes were whale eyes, but when he saw Hermon he perked up. We walked them away from the barking and I gave him a quick check over. His nails are nearly 2 cm long so I'll either be looking for a groomer or trimming them very slowly over the next few weeks. Teeth aren't great and will be worked on. He got a few abrasions on his legs but is a reasonable weight (33kg but not much muscle. I'll see how he goes with raw and some more exercise).

We told the staff we were taking him, did paperwork, paid the money and left. But how did Benny end up there? We found out that his original owner had died. He'd spent many years curled on the couch beside an elderly lady. When she passed on, he went to her daughter. The daughter had cats, so after establishing that he isn't cat friendly, he was surrendered. Quite a sad story for a dog who is very obviously a pet!

He's been tested for heart worm (negative), his heart is fine, and he's doing ok for his age. Eyesight and hearing declining a bit, but very spry leaping into the car and going up the few steps to our yard. We walked all four together when we got home and get was pulling the whole way, looking much happier.

He's now on our bed, after a vet visit and a bath. It's been a long and stressful day but it's the start of his new life.

Our plans for him right now are to sort out the teeth and nails and give him a few weeks to get put back together then sort out the next step. He'll either be rehomed or stay here. Either way, he has a home here as long as he needs it.

Photos are on their way!

Ah I was right on the money with his background story. You could tell the old bloke had been a pet, a similar story to old Bob, the 12 year old grey that found himself in the RSPCA here at Somersby and now living the dream with Winterpaws and family here on the Coast.

Well done Brandi, he must have been a scared old chook in the pound. I'm sure his owner is looking down and wishing some good Karma your way. Give me a yell if I can do anything.