Dogue De Bordeaux / English Mastiff Puppy. New Pic's Of Kirby

BC Crazy

I don't think it's been mentioned but make sure it knows at a young age to be gentle around small dogs (polite sit or down to greet or to just leave small dogs alone), don't let it get into the habit of playing really rough when it is little because obviously when it's full grown few dogs will appreciate that sort of play.

Didi's a mastiff cross pup (though from a rescue and left the nest at 9 weeks), with both Mastiff, Dogue (apparently) and Dane in her and apart from a very mild skin allergy she has been very healthy so far, when she's finished growing I'm going to get her hips and elbows scored so I'll know if we can get into dog sports and stuff but I have just been really careful about her joints to give her the best chance. This means lifting the pup up and off of everything (a bit of a task now that she's 34 kilos but it's still easy enough to help her down off things), limited forced exercise on concrete (at 7.5 months 30 mins is my maximum and we don't do it everyday) and making sure they don't do too much crashing around with other dogs.

Also training, training, training! Didi is pretty well behaved but every now and again her size and strength gets us into trouble (like lunging at birds and nearly pulling me over). NO JUMPING ON PEOPLE is a big one, Didi has jumped on a stranger once when much younger but jumping on strangers is the ultimate offence for me, if she tried it on we'd be going straight home as at her size it's more than just annoying, she could seriously hurt somebody, so make sure it's discouraged from the get go, lots of praise for being calm/on all four feet.

Also I'm not too sure how much it costs to feed a medium size dog but Didi is on Canidae (so pretty expensive) with a bone/chicken frame/occasional sardines or mince and it costs about $20-25 dollars a week as she really doesn't need to eat that much of her food so I don't really get the whole 'how will they afford to feed it' thing, yes it's a bit more than other dogs but not ridiculous.

Hopefully they're able to make the best out of a less than ideal situation, I came into this not knowing as much as I should have about large/giant breeds and Didi so far is a very good dog (ignoring 5 minutes ago when she ran through the house covered in poo)so it doesn't have to be all bad news. :)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well just had a text from stepson & Kirby is settling in very well by all accounts. She slept through the night next to their bed in the bed I gave them without a sound till being let out this morning. She went visiting friends most of the day yesterday without issue either. She is being carried everywhere atm. Loves car rides. She is eating / drinking water without issue as well.

Have passed on all the info you kind folk have been leaving on this thread. NO stairs, not allowed to over eat or exercise etc etc. I also made sure he was supervising the interaction between Kirby & his 6 year old Doberman. They both seem to be getting along fine. Feed times are closely watched & they are feeding Kirby in her crate(my suggestion) so she gets used to it & to prevent any bickering over food that may occur. So far so good :)

Thanks everyone thus far for all your help. Appreciate it very much.

Yes Vizsla M, not so little Kirby is very quiet which I was kind of conerned about but my stepson said she has always been very lay back & that is why he chose her. But will keep a close eye.

Having said that I'm used to BC's . Totally didn 't breed.

Edited by BC Crazy

Yes Vizsla M, not so little Kirby is very quiet which I was kind of conerned about but my stepson said she has always been very lay back & that is why he chose her. But will keep a close eye.

Kirby is lucky to have you overseeing her growth.

:)

Here is a link to a Dogue de Bordeaux puppy that is seen at my vet. The photos show what sort of growth you can expect. eek1.gif

Thanks Ams for posting that.

WOW the growth rate is unreal !!!!! That is exactly what Kirby looks like. She is a fawn colour though but her head & face shape is identical. She is extremely cute.

My step son has just brought Kirby her first diamonte collar. Maybe he should have brought a saddle while he was there LOL.

Apparently Kirby is getting a bit pushy around her food. She is ravenous pretty much all the time. Busy GROWING ... my guess.

Edited by BC Crazy

WOW the growth rate is unreal !!!!! That is exactly what Kirby looks like. She is a fawn colour though but her head & face shape is identical. She is extremely cute.

My step son has just brought Kirby her first diamonte collar. Maybe he should have brought a saddle while he was there LOL.

Apparently Kirby is getting a bit pushy around her food. She is ravenous pretty much all the time. Busy GROWING ... my guess.

Then she needs to be taught manners. If they won't be happy with it in a 50kg adult then they need to deal with it NOW.

What do you mean by "pushy"?

Time for affirmative action by the humans.

They can not even consider this is 'funny' if Kirby is reacting like this with food, so early.

If Kirby was still with the bitch, this behaviour would be checked quickly.

It does escalate if not sorted.

BC', have they had the Vet check puppy? Has the dietary intake been sorted for her?

Fine line here with 'hunger' & greed.

:D

HW, apparently Kirby gets frantic at meal time. She seems to be extremely hungry. Stepson is trying to get her to be calmer & sit before he puts the bowl down but I suspect he is struggling a bit. I couldn't speak to him long he was at work.

VM, she has been Vet checked & Kirby got a clean bill of health.

I actually did say to him that he needs to firm but consistant.

He did say kirby was the 'piggy' out of all the litter. Greedy little guts :)

Edited by BC Crazy

HW, apparently Kirby gets frantic at meal time. She seems to be extremely hungry. Stepson is trying to get her to be calmer & sit before he puts the bowl down but I suspect he is struggling a bit. I couldn't speak to him long he was at work.

VM, she has been Vet checked & Kirby got a clean bill of health.

I actually did say to him that he needs to firm but consistant.

He did say kirby was the 'piggy' out of all the litter. Greedy little guts :)

I wonder if they are feeding enough - or enough of the right food. How many meals a day is she getting? At her age, I'd still have her on 4.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I did ask him HW & he said he is feeding her 5 times a day. Which is one to many but he's finishing off an adult bag of dry food. Hmmm to which I said he needs to get giant breed puppy & a good quality one a ASAP. I hope he does as asked. She sounds like shes really hungry to me.

Edited by BC Crazy