Dogue De Bordeaux / English Mastiff Puppy. New Pic's Of Kirby

BC Crazy

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did ask him HW & he said he is feeding her 5 times a day. Which is one to many but he's finishing off an adult bag of dry food. Hmmm to which I said he needs to get giant breed puppy & a good quality one a ASAP. I hope he does as asked. She sounds like shes really hungry to me.

It may be adjusting to the different taste of the food. At 6 weeks, she has barely been weaned to dry food.

Is he feeding it to her sloppy? Frozen bones to slobber & munch will help.

Edited by VizslaMomma

I did ask him HW & he said he is feeding her 5 times a day. Which is one to many but he's finishing off an adult bag of dry food. Hmmm to which I said he needs to get giant breed puppy & a good quality one a ASAP. I hope he does as asked. She sounds like shes really hungry to me.

It may be adjusting to the different taste of the food. At 6 weeks, she has barely been weaned to dry food.

Is he feeding it to her sloppy? Frozen bones to slobber & munch will help.

Should he be putting some water in it? Will text him as I dont know. Frozen bones will pass that on. Thanks.

Unless she looks like a toast rack, she's getting enough to eat. I wonder if she's getting the right quality/calcium -phosphorus ratio though.

I hope he realises how easy it is to ruin a giant breed pup with the wrong diet. "she'll be right" doesn't work on these dogs.

He shouldn't need to add water, dry should be fine by 6 weeks. I agree with kc, could definitely still be an element of have to get in quick before litter mates do.

I'd suggest they feed her by staying with her and giving each meal bit by bit, give her a handful in her bowl, let her eat that then approach with the next handful, eventually add food to the bowl while she's eating etc so she gets used to people being near her food bowl being a good thing (ie less likely to resource guard from people).

Simply Grand, yes apparently she is eating dry food without issue without it being dampened. Did pass on the hand feed suggestion & he is going to give it a go. Kirby seems to be going well. She went visiting yesterday again. Socializing with cats, chickens & a couple of dogs. All without issue. She really likes cats & wants to play with them. 2 hour car ride, she slept with her car travel leash on without a problem. She also seems to be calming down around food. Still in a big hurry but is improving.

I've got Kirby minding duties Saturday week as my stepson & GF are off to a wedding....Should be interesting. Our house has stairs everywhere so will be blocking all those off. Not quite sure how my girl will go with this. Will take things very slowly I think. My male will be fine. Will set up crate in lounge & put her fav blanket in there so she feels safe.

Wish me luck guys :D

Edited by BC Crazy

• 2 weeks later...

Well we are about 3 hours into our 10 hour approx. puppy minding Saturday. Kirby is such a funny 'big' puppy. I've set up the puppy pen in the kitchen. Put a bed & water in there. Then we went for a stroll in the front yard on a long leash so she could have a bit of a romp & romp she did. Then she lays down & plays with the grass. When she looked a bit sleepy I put her back in her pen. She slept for a bit then whined so toilet outside, then back inside for a big meaty bone which she has been devouring ever since. She seems a very content, healthy girl. Which is great. I have to carry her around the house cause we have stairs everywhere. There's 14 stairs just to go from the kitchen to the front door. She doesn't seem to mind being carried. In fact she doesn't seem to mind anything. Very easy going girl thus far.

My 2 have their noises out of joint, especially Sonny. I was worried about Stella but she just ignores her. Sonny was growling & being a bit pushy with Kirby. Not happy at all Jan :laugh: So we are keeping our 2 totally separate from her. Better safe than sorry. It's only for a short time anyway. Don't know if I should of put my hand up for this Kirby minding. One very puppy clucky doler here now :D

Well we are about 3 hours into our 10 hour approx. puppy minding Saturday. Kirby is such a funny 'big' puppy. I've set up the puppy pen in the kitchen. Put a bed & water in there. Then we went for a stroll in the front yard on a long leash so she could have a bit of a romp & romp she did. Then she lays down & plays with the grass. When she looked a bit sleepy I put her back in her pen. She slept for a bit then whined so toilet outside, then back inside for a big meaty bone which she has been devouring ever since. She seems a very content, healthy girl. Which is great. I have to carry her around the house cause we have stairs everywhere. There's 14 stairs just to go from the kitchen to the front door. She doesn't seem to mind being carried. In fact she doesn't seem to mind anything. Very easy going girl thus far.

My 2 have their noises out of joint, especially Sonny. I was worried about Stella but she just ignores her. Sonny was growling & being a bit pushy with Kirby. Not happy at all Jan :laugh: So we are keeping our 2 totally separate from her. Better safe than sorry. It's only for a short time anyway. Don't know if I should of put my hand up for this Kirby minding. One very puppy clucky doler here now :D

Nawwww Kirby might make you a giant puppy convert :D she sounds pretty adorable :)

That's so good that Stella's coping well with Kirkby you must be very happy :) . Poor Sonny he thinks he has another sister to look after :laugh:

eta: Sorry,I didn't mean to spell her name Kirkby!

Edited by raineth

I will have a go at some pic's, promise. I have taken a few with my phone. Just a tad busy atm. Kirby is asleep so I'm catching up on a few things. Forgot what perfect time wasters puppies are :laugh: She is extremely cute guy's. Kirby's is a fawn colour with green eye's. And oooh the divine puppy breath ;)

Raineth, Yes poor Sonny is like, here we go again :laugh: Stella has really surprised me. But I will keep everyone monitored. Stella can be very quick & can snap so just best to be careful.

Oh & I wouldn't take much pushing into getting a giant puppy. I have always wanted a saint rough coat. Adore them.

Edited by BC Crazy

Oh she is Simply Grand ;) She is so good for her age. She is only 8 weeks today. Just a baby. Kirby just wimpered a little so I took her outside & toilet time. Had a game with her,she had a run around for 5 mins. Brought her back inside & put her on her

bed. Went straight to sleep. Wonderful really considering her age :)

A few things I can add, have they thought about pet insurance the bigger the dog the higher the vet bills. Be careful on tiles and slippery surfaces, a lot of leg damage can be done at an early age. No jumping especially in and out of the car.

Think about adding some different things to her meals like glucosamine and chondroitin, I also use vitamin B and Ester c and omega 3,6 and 9. No walking until 12 weeks and then only 5-10 mins building up over twelve months. I have a 3 year old Newfoundland and a 20 minute walk is about all he can handle, he would rather sit in the middle of the dog park and watch the other dogs play.

It sounds like they have done a great job with their last dog so hopefully they will be the same with this one. The BYB should be reported :mad

Thanks so much for your valuable advice mish13 :) Will pass it on to my stepson. I do know he has been carrying her everywhere as we all have. Doesn't let her jump or anything like that. When I did take her outside I did let her walk but only 5 or 6 steps on flat,grassed area then she just plonked herself down & played with the grass. I just sat in the sun next to her. She seemed very content just to sit & have a look about.

I have been onto him about her diet. He has been doing a far bit of research himself as well. I was also concerned about the bite inhibition issue but she didn't show any signs of that being a problem when I minded her. She did grab my pants a couple of times but a firm 'NO' & she let go, which is good. feeding her has much improved as well. She sits now waiting for her meal where as before she was very pushy.

Totally agree the BYB needs to be reported :mad I have tried to get some details about her but not having much luck, I haven't given up yet though. Makes me so dam mad. she's done a really good sales job on him cause he seems to feel sorry for her. She doesn't have any money, blah blah... :mad I know my stepson has done the wrong thing & gone about buying this pup the wrong way but I hate to think how many puppies this woman & others just like her have sold, 'under age' :mad , to totally clueless, non caring owners. When $$$ comes into, ethic's & doing the right thing go out the window :(

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question folks. Kirby is off to puppy school shortly & step son has asked what is the best harness to buy for her. Im not sure what to advice him to buy for a giant puppy ?

Was thinking of an Ezy walk front attachment harness ??

She is going exceptionally well. Fully toilet trained. Very happy to go for a car ride on the back seat in her seatbelt. Has learnt to sit. And is just one very happy BIG gal & cherished by her owners :)

Edited by BC Crazy