Degenerative Disc Disease

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some advice please.

My 6.5 year old French Bulldog, Gus, recently had surgery to remove a ruptured disc in his neck. As a result, we learnt he has degenerative disc disease and that rough play will now put him at risk of rupturing other discs. Unfortunately, this meant rehoming our other dog, Daisy. Daisy is a large whipped cross who is 10kgs heavier than Gus and who plays very roughly with him. We actually think she might have been the cause of his injury in the first place. Anyway, my lovely cousin who has a Dalmatian has adopted Daisy and she's fitted in well with her new family. She's happy and well.

My concern now is with Gus. He's been with Daisy since they were 6 months old so I'm concerned about him now being an only dog. BUT, "rough play will put him at risk" according to his surgeon. My dilemma is, do I try to adopt another dog (I'm thinking even another Frenchie) who will be the same size or smaller than Gus and therefore might not play as hard as Daisy did, or do I just keep Gus by himself for the rest of his life.

I work from home every Monday and have every second Tuesday off but otherwise (apart from weekends) Gus is alone at home with only a grumpy cat to keep him company.

I'm keen to hear your thoughts because I'm at a loss about what to do.

With thanks

:)

Sometimes you have to weigh up quality of life vs quantity. I have a dog here with a disc issue. Throwing toys for him is out (except for retrieves from water) but otherwise he lives a normal life. He does get regular chiropractic adjustments and bowen therapy - both of which I'd recommend.

If you want another dog, I'd go for MUCH smaller dog - a toy breed. Perhaps a Pug?

This will give company and the opportunity for play with minimal risk of injury.

Sometimes you have to weigh up quality of life vs quantity. I have a dog here with a disc issue. Throwing toys for him is out (except for retrieves from water) but otherwise he lives a normal life. He does get regular chiropractic adjustments and bowen therapy - both of which I'd recommend.

If you want another dog, I'd go for MUCH smaller dog - a toy breed. Perhaps a Pug?

This will give company and the opportunity for play with minimal risk of injury.

Thanks for this.

Investigate the breeds particular method of play too. Even a small breed may like rough play. A breed that likes wrestling and body slamming for instance would not be good.

Great advice! Any thoughts on breeds that don't play roughly though? I can't think of any and would imagine it would come down to the temperament of the dog?

What about an older dog? One that is past a lot of the "I want to rough and tumble" stage. Funnily enough, when I think of breeds that don't rough and tumble, I tend to think of larger breeds. It seems the smaller the dogs, the more intense their play style (huge generalisation I know :) ) Even at 15 and 12 our little dogs play much rougher than any of the border collies.

I would say no for the simple reason what happens to the new dog if it play method is still to much for your Frenchie ??

I don't think its far to bring in a new dog that may then have to leave again unless your prepared to have the two dogs & keep them separate when required .

Thanks all for your replies.

Based on what you've said, if we do decide to get another dog, it will need to be smaller (so it doesn't out-weigh Gus) and old enough to be over the desire to play roughly.

Still lots to think about. ;)