Thin Danes One With Severe Arthritis

Have gotten in 2 danes, they are thin and the female we took straight to the vet for a lame leg. They did xrays and said that she has severe arthritis in her back left leg. She is on weekly injections and he put her on J/D but in my reading I am getting the idea that maybe j/d isnt the best solution so I am here to ask if I should do the j/d or maybe go with a different high quality food and give some extra fish oil in her diet. Appreciate any suggestions.

If the damage is already done and the growth stage has ended I would probably at least give the joint food a fair trial. The vet may be intending to assess her progress on that regimen for a while. Nothing to stop you adding supplements provided you discuss it with the vet.

Nothing to stop you getting a second opinion from another vet if you are uncomfortable with that treatment.

If the Dane is less than 18 months old, then I would recommend a second opinion form another vet immediately.

I am also not a fan of corn in dog foods. You could try the new food Sunday Pets, they have a large/giant breed formula. I would also be more inclined to add a joint supplement rather that the J/d food. Something like Sasha's Blend or Pernease or one of the VANs supplements and fish oil.

If you are going to use fish oil please make sure there is enough vitamin E in the diet as higher doses of such oils will cause a vitamin E deficiency that will cause more problems. Some of the pet versions have E added so you don't need to worry about adding it.

There is also research that indicates that turmeric added to food is excellent for treating arthritis so maybe look into this as well.

I will also add that I have no experience with giant breeds so my comments are quite general in nature. I wish you all the best with your danes and their health issues.

Edited by Yonjuro

Have gotten in 2 danes, they are thin and the female we took straight to the vet for a lame leg. They did xrays and said that she has severe arthritis in her back left leg. She is on weekly injections and he put her on J/D but in my reading I am getting the idea that maybe j/d isnt the best solution so I am here to ask if I should do the j/d or maybe go with a different high quality food and give some extra fish oil in her diet. Appreciate any suggestions.

Get yourself a copy of "Give Your Dog a Bone" by Dr Ian Billinghurst. Should be able to find a reference to feeding up thin and arthritic dogs.

It is a good book to have on hand, in any case :)

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Get yourself a copy of "Give Your Dog a Bone" by Dr Ian Billinghurst. Should be able to find a reference to feeding up thin and arthritic dogs.

It is a good book to have on hand, in any case :)

Raw diets in danes not yet finished critical growth are to be avoided unless you are extremely competent in being able to assess and deliver the correct calcium to phosphorous ratios.

I would be feeding quality proven dog food (no one knows what growing a dane on a new food like Sunday Pets is like and I would not be experimenting with compromised danes) like Holistic Select, Canidae, ProPlan or Euk (with the correct Cal:Ph) and then using a supplement for joint care/ arthritis.

I would suggest that you go here and scroll down to Foods and then Supplements - this is a resource written by dane people for dane owners as there are many considerations that simply don't come up with many other breeds - http://www.greatdanerescue.com.au/downloads.htm

You will also see there links to where you can find online dane communities - in addition to the dane thread under Breed Subforums here.

You could try Synflex, I had very good results when I gave it to Mac.

http://www.synflexamerica.com/index.php

I order mine from George and Sue at K9 health Support, they are excellent and happy to answer questions,

Here are their contact details to email them--> http://www.dogcancer.net.au/canine-cancer-contact-us.php

I am pretty sure it's about $44 incl postage so it may be a better idea to order 2 bottles

I don't have any advice other than what you have been givem I'm afraid, if a xray shows such bad arthritis at such an early age it doesn't bode well for the Danes future, terribly sad.