Breed Suggestions- Help!

Nackers

Hi all! I'm a long time lurker, first time posting!

I've been wanting a dog for a while now, but still very much in the research phase. I need some help from the experts as to what might be suitable for my situation. I am not new to dogs, I have been exposed to a lot of different breeds as I worked as a groomer for about 4 years. I think that's why I'm having so much trouble narrowing my search. I've seen so many gorgeous breeds and individuals- I want them all!!

So a bit abOut myself- I grew up in the country on a farm. We always had working dogs, either border collies or kelpies. We also had a few pets- a Dalmatian, a Labrador and a toy poodle for a little bit (old dog we inherited when her elderly owner died). My partner had a Labrador growing up.

I then lived in the city for a few years and didn't have a dog due to lifestyle and housing situation.

Nowi live back in the country with my partner and 1 year old daughter. I am working 2 days on my parents farm and home the rest of the week. I also still do a bit of grooming for anyone who needs it. My partner works full time. We own our house it is average sized with a reasonable yard. We also have a block of land with stables for my horse and pony.

I live a pretty active and outdoors lifestyle. I walk everyday at least an hour, plus time spent with the horses. The dog would rarely be left alone.

That's pretty much us in a nutshell. Feel free to ask more, I've probably forgotten some thing!

As for the dog characteristics: we would like a medium to larger dog. I am willing to put I the work to train, but I would like something fairly easy to train too. Coat wise im fairly flexible on, but ideally something that only needs brushing 2-3 times a week, not everyday. Energy levels, I would like a dog that has a bit of go, but also not one that is going to be bouncing off the walls if they don't get hours of running everyday. Must be tolerant and patient with kids. Dog will be allowed inside, but will also spend a bit of time outside too.

Ok so now I've written an essay- if anyone is still reading, thank you!!

I would love some suggestions on breeds that you may think fit our situation. Like I said I'm still very much researching, but I desperately want a dog to add to make our little family complete :)

A well bred athletic style basset hound could suit you well. My girl will play for hours on the beach and go for long walks with me in the bush but she doesn't really care whether we do or don't just as happy to lie in the sunshine, they are amazing with kids which is why we chose them. Often not so great off lead though as they are a scenthound so will follow their noses(Josie does go off lead but in areas where it's easy for me to keep an eye on her). They can be a little stubborn but once you have the basic training sorted they just do their thing without much hassle. Handy thing is they can't jump farm fencing :p

Yes, also agree to Aussie Shepherd. :) I love the breed, I rarely recommend them but I think in your situation an Aussie would be quite happy and suit very well.

I agree silentchild, I rarely recommend an Aussie Shepherd but in this situation, I think they would be ideal. The only possible problem would be a possible tendency to 'herd' your daughter when she is a bit older and running round. Although this could obviously be addressed through appropriate training.

I've had 2 shepards ,, 2 boxers 2 rottys , 1 staffy over the last 40 years or so ,, the rottys were my favorite , because they were the best behaved , shepard used to go other dogs , but if they nipped him he would run away , which was good , the staffy was great but too freindly , if he seen someone a mile away he would be gone and wanting to play , boxers were both terrific dogs but they were scrappers , which made it hard to take them for walks seen another dog they wanted to fight , The royttys were great , noble alert and aloof , , the Aloof part being the best because they did'nt bother with other dogs or people , freindly enough , but also very good housedogs , and i would'nt of trusted any of them not to have a go at a stranger coming on the property , being a country farm situation not ideal .

But now , 6 months ago a young girl wanting to rehouse her dog she could'nt keep , could;nt find a home for it , she was in tears when i seen her because she was going to have to put him down , so i felt sorry for her , and said i would take him , , he was a 12 months old Aussie stumpy tail .

I kid you not , he's the best dog i've ever had , intellegent , i walk him mostly in a dog park and don't need a lead , great with the grandkids , good watch dog , will not leave my or my wifes side , excellent with other dogs , the dog ticks every single box , perhaps a little bit active for me but he loves the back of the ute so comes every where with me .

I have a dilima now , my son wants him , and being so good with the grandkids , 5 and 7 year old girls , i'm tempted to let him take him , reason being is were not has active has my sons familly and he has a big back yard , When my son watches him for us , the dog has a ball running around the big yard and playing with the girls , , its funny has to see him on the trampoline , with or without the girls . He sleeps with the youngest one , and rests his head next to hers , when she is put to bed he gets up and goes with her .

For me its a dilima , I walk him and take him everywhere , but i don't jog with him what he wants and likes , in a country type situation , i could'nt think of a better dog , and i believe from what i've been told , he is just typical for that breed ,

Most of the herding breeds and gundogs would suit your situation. A Kelpie, Border Collie, Aust Shepherd, GSD, Belgian Shepherd, Labrador, English Springer Spaniel, Golden Retriever, German Short Haired Pointer or one of the Setter breeds could all fit into your description. Basically all the medium to large breeds you see most of at obedience or agility trials. I suggest you head to a dog show or trial, have a look around and speak to the breeders. Also consider - do you care if they drool, would you prefer to pick up tumbleweeds of hair from a long coat or the fine short hairs from the heavier shedding short coats? Do you like the long fine head of a Collie or the heavier head and flopped ears of a Labrador? When I chose a dog I started with a list of what I wanted and a longer list of what I didn't. I wanted highly intelligent and easy to train to a high standard, medium size, long coat but not excessive. I didn't want a squashed face or a narrow head, drool, short dense coat that sheds a lot,, flopped ears, doggy odour or an oily coat. I ended up with Border Collies.

The often overlooked Collie Smooth would suit your lifestyle perfectly, also a Belgian Shepherd if you work with a good breeder or rescue to source the type of temperament you are looking for. Also have to agree with the posters who suggested Rottie & Australian Cattle Dog. Yes, as dancinbcs said, there are many breeds which would suit, so in your case it may come down to finding the right individual rather than being set on breed. :)

I'm *totally not biased at all*... Aussie shepherd! Your lifestyle sounds pretty similar to mine (horses, farm, home most of the time) and I have an Aussie thumbsup1.gif suits him well - he runs off his energy at the horses while I'm feeding and moving them around then we head home and he passes out in the lounge room for the middle of the day, then we do the same at night when we feed horses again thumbsup1.gif he's very easy to train. He knows some tricks (bow, shake hands, we've touched on roll over) and just general commands like getting in the car/in his crate/going outside/coming inside... They're very smart, eager to please and I know a few that are total goofs (mine included) laugh.gif lots of fun. Also they're fun to groom biggrin.gif

Another breed that would probably love your lifestyle is the German Shorthaired pointer. They need a fairly active lifestyle, as a working dog (although I'm guessing there'd be the difference between working lines and show lines...). I knew one on a horse stud and he basically followed whoever was around on their jobs. Great company.

Have you considered another dal? I rarely suggest my breed, but you've had them before and know what they're about.

They're medium (or large if you get a boy), smart, I don't have kids but I see a lot of photos from dal people on FB of their dogs and kids and energy levels - these vary but my two switch off quite easily. We don't walk every day, and while they might do an afternoon zoomie session around the house, there is no destructive behavior.

and of course, being carriage dogs originally they do have a good natural affinity with horses (not that mine have seen them, but from what I've heard)

Main downsides are the urinary stones issue, some breeders are working on that at the moment. And of course BAER testing for deafness is important.

Thank you all so far for the help.

There are so many breeds I love the 'look' of but just not sure if they would suit me.

I do have a bit of a list in my mind, these breeds I've had a bit to do with (either friends/family have owned or through my old work) but really only individuals of the breed:

Labrador

Golden retriever

Aussie shep

German shep

Vizsla

Boxer

Standard poodle (no way my partner wants one!!)

And these breeds I really like the look of and have admired from afar I suppose. Maybe have met a few briefly but other then that only reading about in books:

German short haired pointer

Rottweiler

Great Dane

Bernese mountain dog

Doberman

Rhodesian ridgeback

Flat coat retriever

So my list is pretty varied at the moment. I often think, maybe we should get a Labrador or golden because they are great family dogs. But then I think it would like something a bit different.

Coat I'm willing to compromise on for temperament. I vacuum/sweep nearly everyday anyway due to my very active 1 year old!

I think a lot of traits I'm looking for come down to training and individuals. Like being good with kids, not chasing the horses etc. I just need a good foundation to get me started and a willingness to work with me.

So I think the most important traits I'm looking for are easy to train, loyalty, patient and even tempered and something that is not going to tear my house to pieces if they don't run for hours every day. The 'perfect' dog, haha. I'm willing to put the effort in training, grooming and exercise wise.

Dotdashdot- the Dalmatian I had was when I was quite young, and he was really 'naughty'. He used to wander a lot and ended up killing some sheep (my pet lamb included). Totally not blaming him, was due to lack of training and insecure fencing. But it has put me off Dalmatians a bit. Silly I know because that is a completely different situation to what I am living now.

Scootaloo- your situation does sound very similar. Sounds like an Aussie might suit us too :) I love their different coat colours, gorgeous

You could look at the English Pointer ,German Wirehaired Pointer .Bracco

Ideally a dogshow would be a good place to head to & last weekend in Adelaide saw one of the biggest shows be held which had stacks of interstate people & lots of breeds of over 3 shows

Honestly, it sounds like you would be the ideal home for any breed!

But since youve mentioned them & are asking for advice...

You can't beat a Goldie as a family dog with young kids, in my opinion. :D

My GR has the most divine temperament, sweet as they come (not called Honey for nothing :laugh: ), adores everyone, is a total sook. Yet puts on the big guard dog voice when anyone comes to the door.

Exercise wise, she is very fit- runs several times a week with me, but she would love to be a bit lazier.

Grooming wise, she's been so easy since I started using the right brush- once a week & she's done.

Not destructive, aside from the odd texta or Barbie doll (human training required there. Extremely gentle with young children- especially those bearing food. :laugh:

Seriously, such an easy dog to live with- & all the many GRs I've met are pretty similar.

A Bernese could definitely suit your lifestyle, although no excessive exercise in the first 18 months of it's life. An hour walk a day for a young pup would be too much. I rarely recommend either of my own breeds but I think you'd be very happy with a well bred Bernese :)