Emergency Vet

Thought I would share what happened with you all to my brothers pup over the weekend.

On sat night at approx 10pm my brother and his wife were getting ready for bed, they started calling the dogs for toilet time before bed but couldn't locate Nev the 4.5 month old pup. They eventually found him curled up in their bed room dripping in his own sweat, unable to move his legs and with a swollen tongue.

My brother raced him to the after hours emergency vet whilst my sister in law rang them to let them know he was on his way – they didn't think he was going to make the drive.

Upon getting him to the vets they pumped him full of charcoal, fluids and put him on a drip. The vet suspected he had been poisoned and continuously asked them over and over if the neighbours maybe did not like the pup. The outcome was not looking hopeful. He left Nev there for the night and the vet said they would call and be in touch.

The next morning the vet called to say Nev had started having hallucinations at around 2 am and had to be very heavily sedated. Apparently the poor little guy was seeing things that were not there and trying to throw himself against the cage. Due to the hallucinations the vet suspected he had maybe eaten mushrooms?? The family searched the backyard but could not find any evidence of mushrooms.

At around 1pm on the Sunday he started to perk back up and his vitals started improving. 5 pm that day they were able to pick him up and bring him home – exhausted but mostly back to his normal self.

Poor little thing had only been de-sexed on the Thursday – what an eventful week!

The vets are still unsure as to what caused this and are thinking that possibly rotten meat was the cause but still cannot say for sure as the hallucinations were so strange.

Has anyone else had any experience with poisoning or hallucinations in a dog?

6 years ago my kelpie collapsed randomly, lost the ability to use her legs, etc. Similiar situation where we went to call her up to the house late at night and she couldn't be found. We initially thought she had been bitten by a snake but after being tested negative for snake bite we were at a loss. After two days at the vet on a drip she recovered and came home. vet suspected she had eaten something funny, maybe a dead bird or similiar(although she doesn't usually eat dead things in the yard) which had given her a nasty bacterial poisoning. We never actually found out what caused it but she's fine now and it's never happened again

How would a vet know what a dog is seeing? :confused:

Something's being lost in translation here but the veterinary diagnosis sounds odd. A dog that eats something off vomits.

Partial paralysis, massive salilvation and violent fitting? Sounds more like a toxin to this amateur - either ingested of delivered by insect bite.

Either that or a neurological issue. :(

Edited by Haredown Whippets

i also asked that - they only response they gave was that he was clearly seeing things that were not really there...

as far as i know there was no vommiting.

nope, no cane toads. the dogs had all been given meat earlier in the evening, but all 3 ate it and no one else was sick.

im fairly sure he is going to contact the breeder just to inform them. the breeder has been lovely during the whole buying process, calling and checking in to make sure pup was settling in so i think they would like to be informed about what happened to him

this is him and his sister

post-41414-0-24594600-1401766345_thumb.jpg

Edited by miss2

I had a dog who was head banging, bashing the side of his cage. He was poisoned by an unknown substance was our best educated guess. Put into a coma for 24 hrs but didn't come out of it for another 24 hrs, was extremely weak for another 3 or so weeks before slowly coming back to his normal self. Lived another 9 years with no drama's.

Sometimes you can only treat the symptoms and cross your fingers it all works out. It also depends where you live and what facilities are available and a good vet.

Re the "sweat" when my girl had suspected bladder stones last year we found her sitting in her bed in what I would have suspected to be some sort of sweat - the whole bed was soaked yet there was no colour or smell (I now know it was extremely diluted urine, so diluted it was clear).

Obviously I knew it wasn't sweat, but that's exactly what it seemed like in the middle of the night, when I was freaking out.

Interesting, regards sweating : Many years ago, with my previous girl .... she was on the X-ray table for ages and ages (sedated). I stayed with her the whole time. By the time the Vets came back to help her off the table, she was wet with sweat where she had been laying. She had not urinated. Just musing here - I wonder if something relates to the exorcise of toxins from the body?

Edited to Add : Or on second thoughts, perhaps in her case it was condensation moisture, from the warmth of her body being on the metal of the X-ray table for so long ???

Edited by Erny

Does this dog like chasing flies...

My dog has ended up with an extremely swollen nose - from shoving a bee up its bum.

If a dog bit a bee or wasp - swollen tongue would seem right.

If the dog was very allergic... all the other symptoms make sense. Though the description does sound like mushrooms...

apparently it did not smell like urine? toxins of the body would make sense but they would have to escape the body somehow.

sheridan were you able to confirm it was tramadol?

apart from drinking a LOT of water he is doing well today, back to his normal self. not sure about the bees, he is only a pup so im sure he trys to play with anything lol

There's been a lot of trees flowering off season here at the moment because of the weird weather. My dog actually got stung by a bee on her nose the other day when she took a drink out of a cafe supplied water bowl and turned out there were bees drinking at it which I hadn't seen before she stuck her face in it. If he's bee allergic it could be the cause.

Interesting, regards sweating : Many years ago, with my previous girl .... she was on the X-ray table for ages and ages (sedated). I stayed with her the whole time. By the time the Vets came back to help her off the table, she was wet with sweat where she had been laying. She had not urinated. Just musing here - I wonder if something relates to the exorcise of toxins from the body?

Edited to Add : Or on second thoughts, perhaps in her case it was condensation moisture, from the warmth of her body being on the metal of the X-ray table for so long ???

Would concur with condensation, when I pick the dog beds up off our slate floors they are damp underneath.

Would concur with condensation, when I pick the dog beds up off our slate floors they are damp underneath.

Had this happen when I used a particular type of dog bed. I would over react and look for 'accidents'. Turned out to be related to the dog's thyroid problems. No more hassles because he is on medication.

Edited by VizslaMomma