Natural Bob Tail Rottweilers

*Lolapalooza*

Having bred Corgis, Pembrokes, in the 1970's, I used to have to dock their tails and remove dewclaws at three days of age, hence I do not understand the statement that Boxers were crossed with Corgis a while back to get natural bobtail Boxers. :confused:

Link to Bobtail Boxer breeding program hereMy link

As far as I am aware there has been for a long time, a bobtail gene in Rottweilers. It has only really been since docking got banned that it has become more widely known. I may be wrong though :)

The Bobtail gene exists in Corgi's - though not all corgi's carry it. It was a corgi carrying this specific gene that was used in the Boxer backcross project, which introduced the gene to the Boxer breed.

My understanding (though hopefully a Rottie person will speak up if I am wrong) is that a 'bobtail' gene also exists in Rotties, though was not really overly prevalent or specifically bred for until such time as the taildocking ban, when some have actively sought out Rotties which carry the gene and have selected for this feature.

Edited by espinay2

Yes, there are bobtail rottweilers, that is correct. We (well, "we" being my parents - I was about 4 years old) experienced them back in the 1970's, so they've been around for a long time.

There are a very small number of breeders who concentrate on breeding bobtails, and to the best of my knowledge they were also breeding bobtails before the docking ban came into place - and by small number, I can think of 2 or 3 breeders, so they are few and far between.

There has also been at least one instance of a breeder claiming to breed bobtails, when they were actually docked (according to a court ruling).

Nbt Rotts have been around since the first standard but with tails being docked have been "invisible". From memory the last time they were mentioned in the standard was 1970. They are still around and there are several breeders keeping the Nbt line going.