When You Stay In Dog Friendly Accommodation

sheena

When staying in dog friendly accomodation  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you allow your dogs on the beds

• Always
    • Sometimes
    • Never

Showdog....seeing that it is being built for ME to enjoy, then I am going to have some rules....I think I should be able to expect the same standards from pet owners, that I myself have when I stay in dog friendly accomodation. :) As I said, I am not in it to make money...I am way to old to start doing that. It will be for family, friends & others that I know will appreciate it. The biggest singular expense apart from the actual building will be the Solar Power. It would be nice to be able to rent it out enough to recoup that...

Denali...your're welcome :D

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elsie is allowed on any and all furniture at home, but when we travel she sleeps in her crate and on the floor on a blanket in the motel. We usually travel for shows, and I am always way too exhausted to worry about trying to clean dog hair off any furniture, it's just easier to contain her. She is always tired when we're away competing anyway so doesn't mind going into her crate or onto a blankie and sleeping.

Elsie is allowed on any and all furniture at home, but when we travel she sleeps in her crate and on the floor on a blanket in the motel. We usually travel for shows, and I am always way too exhausted to worry about trying to clean dog hair off any furniture, it's just easier to contain her. She is always tired when we're away competing anyway so doesn't mind going into her crate or onto a blankie and sleeping.

That's exactly what we do...we take crates & roll up mats for them. If it's too hot for the crate then they sleep on their mats. Quite often if the room is a little cramped, the dogs are quite happy to sleep in the car. Most dogs love their cars :) So you are welcome too, DiscoDobe :laugh: Thank you everybody else who has been completely honest & open about the question. Just one question...for all those who have said that Pet Friendly means that the dogs can sleep wherever they like & do whatever they like, does that mean if a place is called Child Friendly, then children are allowed to do what they like too...like eat pizza while in bed or climb into the kitchen sink or leave the tap running till we run out of water, swing on the curtains or use the beds for trampolines. I think I am going to be much more fussier about the children than the dogs :) At the moment the whole project hangs on what it is going to cost us for a small Stand Alone Solar system :(

Yes we often have the dogs sleeping in the cars, or in a dog trailer during the summer. I, like most dog sport people here, have custom crates built into the back of my car, so it's very handy and already set up for Elsie to sleep in. In the winter in NZ I won't leave her out in the car though, way too cold! Each June I travel with some friends to a long weekend show and we always stay in the same place that allows the dogs inside... Very thankful for that as one night I left a bowl of water inside the crate in the car and it was frozen solid the next morning! :eek:

That's exactly what we do...we take crates & roll up mats for them. If it's too hot for the crate then they sleep on their mats. Quite often if the room is a little cramped, the dogs are quite happy to sleep in the car. Most dogs love their cars :) So you are welcome too, DiscoDobe :laugh: Thank you everybody else who has been completely honest & open about the question. Just one question...for all those who have said that Pet Friendly means that the dogs can sleep wherever they like & do whatever they like, does that mean if a place is called Child Friendly, then children are allowed to do what they like too...like eat pizza while in bed or climb into the kitchen sink or leave the tap running till we run out of water, swing on the curtains or use the beds for trampolines. I think I am going to be much more fussier about the children than the dogs :) At the moment the whole project hangs on what it is going to cost us for a small Stand Alone Solar system :(

You're assuming that people who allow their dogs onto furniture will happily allow their dogs to actually do damage and that just isn't the case so you can't compare it to children being allowed to run amok.

Crates are all very good and well but for those of us with big dogs, hauling around 48 inch crates isn't really an option. Especially not when you also have to find room for the big dog. Just because some people here are all set up to travel with dogs, doesn't mean that's normal- if anything, I'd say it'd be pretty unusual amongst the general public.

I think if you have issues with dogs being allowed to do certain things, it's your property and you can make whatever rules you want. But.. I think you have to be entirely upfront about those rules in advertising so that people with different needs aren't going to waste their time getting into the booking process only to discover that it isn't going to suit them.

You're assuming that people who allow their dogs onto furniture will happily allow their dogs to actually do damage and that just isn't the case so you can't compare it to children being allowed to run amok.

Crates are all very good and well but for those of us with big dogs, hauling around 48 inch crates isn't really an option. Especially not when you also have to find room for the big dog. Just because some people here are all set up to travel with dogs, doesn't mean that's normal- if anything, I'd say it'd be pretty unusual amongst the general public.

I think if you have issues with dogs being allowed to do certain things, it's your property and you can make whatever rules you want. But.. I think you have to be entirely upfront about those rules in advertising so that people with different needs aren't going to waste their time getting into the booking process only to discover that it isn't going to suit them.

For sure I will ...but I won't be advertising..it will simply be word of mouth. As I said earlier, it is not a money making venture, it's just simply me wanting to share with people I can trust to look after it the way I would look after someone else's property.

For me - I make sure the place is better than when we arrived and I respect the wishes of the owners. Not everyone in the world is a dog person and people should not have to put up with my dogs or their smells (that I usually am not aware of) if they don't want to.

Your cottage sounds wonderful!!

For me - I make sure the place is better than when we arrived and I respect the wishes of the owners. Not everyone in the world is a dog person and people should not have to put up with my dogs or their smells (that I usually am not aware of) if they don't want to.

Your cottage sounds wonderful!!

Thank you AD...it will be if the solar power does not cost an arm & a leg :laugh:

I had to say sometimes as it really depends on the situation.

for example when we took our holiday on the mainland for a month we took our boys & our own bedding, we spent time in several caravan parks that were dog friendly which allowed us to have my boys inside with us, linen wasn't provided but as we had our own it wasn't such a big deal to have them on the bed with us.. my boys do not drop hair, nor do they get fleas.

I have never stayed in cottage type pet friendly accm, if we ever did we always take the boys crate along with us & they sleep in that on the floor.

to be honest I think its more polite not to have pets on the furniture even if its pet friendly, unless like I said linen isn't provided & we provide our own than not such a big deal..

forgot to say also that as of this year we have an 8 person tent with a double height queen sized blow up & we choose a pet friendly caravan park with camping over cottage style accm.. :) means they can sleep on the bed with no issues :)

Edited by Kazhak

Sheena your cottage is sounding better and better - just lovely - and I'd love to visit one day - and I promise you wouldn't know the westies and I had been there. I'm out of Agility Dogs school of thought and I try very hard to leave properties I stay at in a better state than I find them - with or without the westies. Its just something I do.

I lived at Coffs Harbour for two years and loved that part of the country. Maddy said it well I think - my B and B friend in the Adelaide Hills decided that hers were not suitable for children but were suitable for dogs for the reasons Maddy outlined. It was very clear on her website. And that worked for her and her business. I so wish you luck - its a lovely thing you are doing.smile.gif

I've only ever stayed in one dog friendly property, twice and both times I let the owner know what my dogs are like. Neither are technically house trained but are very good at not toiletting inside -- Zeus has never eliminated inside whenever I've had him in with me and always asks to go out. Not sure how he learned this behaviour but it's helpful!!

Kirah is not like this though and whilst I make sure to take her outside more frequently, I take wee mats that she knows to use but so far she's never needed to use them even though I put them down.

They both also don't know about keeping off furniture so both times I've stayed at this place I've taken my own sheets and fluffy blankets to cover the lounges and bed. Kirah likes to sleep between my legs so I always cover with a fresh sheet and blanket for her to lie on.

Zeus is not crate trained but more "fluffy blanket trained" and he'll sleep wherever I put a fluffy blanket.

Having said all that, I do also travel with 2 crates so if either are being absolute s**ts they get put in them. :)

Edit: they're also usually freshly bathed too so as not to stink up the place!

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

My dog is allowed on furniture at my house, but knows only when invited and never on the spare bed.

I would never allow my dog to jump on someone else's furniture without permission. I think that's pretty rude. Then again I also always check whether any house is a "shoes off" house and always presume yes.

This was the rule at my mothers house until I came back one day and found her curled up on the "no dogs allowed" couch with Nova laugh.gif

I would be happy enough with being able to have my dog inside at all at any accommodation, not enough places allow it!

I hope you can get the cottage sorted out Sheena, sounds wonderful!

Thanks Lisa...your welcome :D I have been doing some Googling...& there has to be a cheaper & more efficient way than spending $25,000, which is just not on. Currently looking at all the stuff the Rainbow Power Company have at Nimbin. They have things like LED downlight sets that run off their own solar panels. Interestingly, I had a look at some eco cabins that they have linked to their website, located near Nimbin, & they are Pet Friendly......but...dogs are only allowed on the verandas. Cabins look nice though...a bit pricey at $150 per night & your dog has to sleep outside. :(

Thanks Lisa...your welcome :D I have been doing some Googling...& there has to be a cheaper & more efficient way than spending $25,000, which is just not on. Currently looking at all the stuff the Rainbow Power Company have at Nimbin. They have things like LED downlight sets that run off their own solar panels. Interestingly, I had a look at some eco cabins that they have linked to their website, located near Nimbin, & they are Pet Friendly......but...dogs are only allowed on the verandas. Cabins look nice though...a bit pricey at $150 per night & your dog has to sleep outside. :(

See "outside only" doesn't scream 'pet friendly' to me. There is a hotel here that advertises as "pet friendly", which means they have some kennels out the back that your dog is allowed in.

See "outside only" doesn't scream 'pet friendly' to me. There is a hotel here that advertises as "pet friendly", which means they have some kennels out the back that your dog is allowed in.

It doesn't mean pet friendly to me either. I think there would be a lot of places that would allow you to stay, if your dog was kept outside...so pet friendly to me, means that it is allowed inside, but with some rules in place, to ensure that it is kept nice for others who might not really like dogs inside.

I've stayed with the dogs at pets inside cottages, cabins and houses in 6 states. I always make sure when inquiring about bookings that dogs are allowed inside. My dogs are allowed on furniture at home, but not in other people's houses. While Miss Kirra will sometimes try to push the boundaries, she knows she won't get away with it . Their crates are the first thing I unpack from the car, and then they're quite happy. I zip them into their crates when I can't supervise them .. otherwise they just hang out where they want .. floor or crates.

I really appreciate being able to stay in comfortable surroundings. I prefer to have a fenced yard, but if not, I can always just take the dogs out on leash.

Interesting replies.

I was thinking of buying an old property when i retire and having a cottage to let on the property too, and just assumed i would make it pet freindly, but after some of the replies i might change my mind :laugh:

I would give a very safe fenced garden, and dog run, and dogs allowed inside , but not on beds or furniture.

i dont see how you can clean it enough between lets if someone had their dogs on everything and the next people had no pets, the time restraint might make that impossible? or am i just anal about living in a clean house :laugh:

lots to think about.

OK....Tassie, you & Juice are in :thumbsup: Juice...my sentiments exactly...you have to think of the next person coming to stay. It will definitely have a fenced yard & will have a nice but indestructible garden. We will hopefully make the verandah pet proof as well, like we have in the house we live in. We have livestock & native animals, so a fenced yard is a must. Thankfully we don't get cane toads here. :thumbsup: Lots of places to run your dogs though, if they don't chase the animals, & there is a dam for dock diving & an agility course at the back of the little forest. My six year old granddaughter, loves her little enchanted forest & will tell you with all her heart, that there are definitely fairies down there :) Poppy has built the Grandchildren a tree house in the little forest..