Mentoring Program Tackles High Veterinarian Suicide Rate

trinabean

Mentoring program tackles high veterinarian suicide rate, but faces uncertain future due to funding

By Lucy Martin Updated 3 hours 7 minutes ago

Video: WA vets bring depression and suicide out of the closet (7.30 WA) Map: Perth 6000 Vets are four times more likely to commit suicide than the general public but a WA-led mental health program that is hoping to change that is facing funding uncertainty.

A vet will take his or her own life, on average, every 12 weeks in Australia, according to the Australian Veterinary Association (AVA).

There is more to the job of being a vet than spaying cats and microchipping dogs.

Vets work long hours, they deal with death on a daily basis, and they have access to lethal drugs.

Efforts to tackle depression and suicide in the profession using a mentoring system have resulted in significant improvements over the past two decades.

In 1997, a local branch of the AVA set up a graduate support scheme at Murdoch University that saw vet graduates paired with mentors.

No young vet in the program has taken their life since the mentor scheme started.

Now, a larger WA-led project set up by the AVA that hopes to go national and educate vets about depression and suicide is facing an uncertain future.

The project was only possible because of a $200,000 grant through the State Government's suicide prevention strategy.

That funding has now run out and the State Government is assessing the results of the project, but cannot say when or if more funding will be announced.

The harrowing suicide statistics are hardly a surprise to Perth's tight-knit vet community.

Perth vet Paul Davey is all too familiar with the pressures faced by his colleagues.

"There's a study that suggests we deal with death 17 times more often than a GP," he said.

"We love dealing with animals and yet so often we have to see them die, see them suffer.

"That is a difficult part of our job and it takes its toll."

Long hours and isolation increase risk

Dr Davey believes new graduates are at particular risk of developing depression, especially those working in rural WA.

5505962-3x2-340x227.jpg Photo: Vet Will Powell, who is based in Manjimup, often travels long distances to treat animals.

Will Powell moved to Manjimup, south of Bunbury in Western Australia, after graduating from Murdoch University three years ago.

"You see some very, very sad things, things that are out of your power to change and if you don't have a good support structure that really can be heartbreaking," he said.

Dr Powell is based at the town's vet clinic but makes house calls to farming properties up to 100 kilometres away.

Midnight callouts are common while suffering and death are just another part of the job.

Dr Powell credits a supportive employer with helping him handle the stress and occasional lack of sleep.

But many of his peers have not been as lucky.

"The lack of support has meant some of them aren't working in the vet industry anymore," he said.

"They really got thrown in the deep end."

Dr Davey has been mentoring young vets for almost 20 years, after losing family friend and fellow vet Gavin Barugh to suicide in 1996.

The 24-year-old took his own life the day before starting work with Dr Davey.

"It was very, very easy to put my hand up at that point and say I want to be part of a program that prevents this happening again," Dr Davey said.

Vet graduates paired with mentors

Mr Barugh's death shocked WA's vet community into action and, almost two decades on, WA now leads the way in vet mental health.

A graduate support program was set up in 1997 by the local branch of the Australian Veterinary Association.

Experienced vets like Dr Davey are paired with students on the cusp of graduating from Murdoch University.

Mentors can give advice on challenging cases or simply provide a sympathetic ear.

Eleanor Parker credits the program with helping her through a difficult first year out of university.

You'll get a puppy brought in with a broken leg ... but if the client can't pay for the procedure you might have to end that animal's life and that does really take a toll on you.

Vet Eleanor Parker

"It's a real security blanket and it takes a weight off because you've got someone there who really understands, who knows what you're going through and can give worldly counsel and advice because no doubt they've been there," she said.

Ms Parker graduated in 2010.

Like most vets, she pursued the career because she loves animals, but she quickly saw the dark side of her profession.

"For example, you'll get a puppy brought in with a broken leg that you know you can fix [so] that puppy can go on to live a happy and healthy life," she said.

"But if the client can't pay for the procedure you might have to end that animal's life and that does really take a toll on you.

"I did find myself becoming desensitised, which you need to a degree, but it was also scary because there were times I knew I should be feeling something and wasn't."

Dr Powell also relied on his mentor during his first year out of university.

"No matter where you are there's always a phone you can pick up to call someone and have a chat," he said.

The program has had enormous success, with no young vets taking their lives, and last year Dr Davey was awarded an Order of Australia Medal for his contribution.

It was a bittersweet moment for a man driven to help by the tragedy of losing a friend.

"We all draw motivation out of [Gavin Barugh's] loss in that we see that if a program such as ours was available when he graduated we may have been able to help, not just at the time he was in a dark place but a lot earlier than that," he said.

WA program faces uncertain future

It is not just young vets at risk of developing depression.

Brian McErlean from the AVA has spent the past two years trying to educate his peers about depression and suicide through a program funded by a government grant.

"Retired vets have similar problems because they've devoted their whole lives to being a vet and they have poor work-life balance, so when they stop working there's a void," he said.

He travelled to dozens of country towns meeting local vets and says their response was profound.

"I think it was acceptance that there is a problem and when they opened up you heard all sorts of things about work pressures, not having had a holiday for 10 years, struggling with depression," he said.

If we can treat the depression we can make lives better, we can save lives ... because everything improves when you improve mental health.

Brian McErlean from the AVA

The association has also trained vets to recognise signs of depression in their colleagues.

"If we can treat the depression we can make lives better, we can save lives and we can make the lives of the people around them so much better because everything improves when you improve mental health," he said.

The State Government is yet to announce whether it will continue to fund the program and Dr McErlean says it is terrible timing for the AVA.

He says the association ultimately wants to set up a graduate program in every state and continue targeting older vets too.

"It's not a very expensive program to run," he said.

"Now that we've trained the gatekeepers, it would probably cost $20,000 or $30,000 a year to run it right around the state.

"It is a matter of urgency - if you value life, it's a priority."

The AVA plans to approach the Federal Government in a bid to secure more money.

Dr Davey is determined to see every Australian vet graduate given access to a mentor.

"We're very proud of what we've been able to achieve but we don't want to stop there," he said.

"We can see the potential, we can see what we've got left to achieve and we'd really love the opportunity to continue the work that we've started."

Whilst I have a cousin who is a vet, and had no doubt it that can be a very stressful job, I was shocked by the suicide statistics. :(

Let's hope that a mentoring program can be rolled out Australia-wide.

My vet killed himself last weekend :(

Oh God, I'm so sorry Teebs. :(

That's awful Teebs.

Such a sad fact. I had no idea.

A vet in Darwin last week is believed to have killed herself and her two young children. Devastating for everyone.

And that's awful too. It looks like there is real need for a program like this.

Many people have said to me that I should have been a vet but there is no way I could have ever been one, I couldn't cope with the death and cruelty cases that they have to see. I'm sure in some places it far outweighs the good or the cases are just so bad you can't get over it.

Very, very sad and these people deserve a lot more help and support than they have been getting.

I hope that things change soon, for their sakes and for the animals' sakes.

Vets are in the top 3 professions with extremely high suicide rates - I think they are only topped by those in the mental health care industry. Scary thought, isn't it?

Being a vet was a consideration for me as a teen too - but same as dogmad, I knew for a fact that I would never be able to cope with death and cruelty cases on any kind of regular basis.

Seriously, I have seen some nasty cruelty cases in rescue, and more often than not we have been able to rehabilitate and rehome the animals - but we also got to choose those we could take in and help - and I've also held those we couldn't as they went for their final sleep.

T.

Great article and what a great program Dr Davey has set up.

I didn't know about those suicide figures either but it certainly makes sense. Having to PTS animals that could be saved if the circumstances were different is certainly heart breaking and I imagine vets must have to very quickly adjust to the mindset that they can't save them all. In the example the young vet gave where they would have to PTS rather than do a surgery a client couldn't afford it must be very tempting to say I'll do it for free/cover the cost but you couldn't realistically do that for everyone and where do you draw the line...

They would also be seeing the frustration of animals not being taken care of properly, through to down right abuse and are so limited in what they can do about it. Human doctors have places they can report concerns of such things to, things they can do to help, but vets are so limited by animal welfare laws and resources to investigate their concerns :(

I had no idea about those suicide rates and they make me love my vet and her vet staff even more. Perhaps those of us who have vets we cherish could do more random acts of kindness. I know in the past we have given our vet and her staff free tickets to Dreamworld and Big Brother, paintings made by our dogs, thank you cards and laminated educational material for the waiting room. I often have roses in my garden so I'm going to start making up bunches for them. And since I make dog coats I might make some for their dogs or the dogs who have to stay overnight at the vets. I also grow oranges, lemons and mangoes so that is another thing I can give them. They always go the extra mile for our dogs (and us) and I want them to know I appreciate the wonderful people they are. Maybe little thank you's from their regular clients might make up for some of the heartache and stress that goes with their jobs? Everyone likes to know they are appreciated and matter. I would be gutted to lose such wonderful people from my life.

this is a shock to me! Like so many have already said, I had no idea. :( that's terrible Teebs, I'm sorry to read about your vet. :(

We perhaps tend to think we pay our money for services rendered and that's the end of it as far as the vet is concerned, but I hadn't considered it could take such a toll on them.

A few years ago I made a calendar for my vet with all his clients (of mine) that he's treated. He loved it. I think I need to make another to thank him and let him know how much I appreciate him, he's only young and works so hard. He lost all his possessions in the Black Saturday fires but continued to work through it never charging any of the victims.

Edited by Kirislin

Those who work within the Veterinary industry are very aware of the stats and it isnt only vets who are affected by the stresses of the job.

Veterinary nurses and veterinary technicians are also a part of the scenario.

In W.A. there are systems in place to tackle the problem and as has been reported this has had a dramatic effect on lowering the suicide rate within the industry.

Help is easy to obtain and the issue of depression is de-stigmatised.... those who seek help are welcomed warmly and immediate assistance, day or night is available through the mentoring scheme for new veterinary graduates or through other support systems set up via the AVA W.A branch or the Veterinary Nurses Council.

It will be a dreadful pity if this current scheme cannot continue due to a cut in Government funding.

This system truly is worthy of the top level support and if implemented on a national scale could make an enormous difference to very many people.

It's been a huge success in suicide prevention within the industry in W.A. and surely this must be a model for the wider use of the plan and greater support from the government, rather than forcing the scheme to become self funded.

Last year Paul Davey was awarded the Order of Australia Medal, one of Australia's highest awards, for his work with this scheme which, since its inception, has reduced to zero the number of new grarduates who have taken their own life.

Brian McErlean is a retired veterinarian who is now working hard to develop a system similar to the hugely succesful New Graduate programme in order to help others within the industry.

These two dedicated men have raised the focus of the problem to an open level where it is easy for help to be obtained.

The results within the industry in W.A. have been nothing short of amazing.

Maybe little thank you's from their regular clients might make up for some of the heartache and stress that goes with their jobs? Everyone likes to know they are appreciated and matter. I would be gutted to lose such wonderful people from my life.

Yes it would :thumbsup: Very often the only feedback we get is when someone has something negative to say, but even little gestures like a genuine thankyou on the phone, cards, food treats, any thing really will make a difference.

If you are considering giving your vet clinic flowers please make it not just after you have had your pet euthanised. It can be a wonderful gesture however the staff may then see those flowers for the next week or so as a reminder of the animal they had to euthanise.

My previous vet was wonderful (my new one is nice but I haven't really developed a strong bond as such) as she supported us through Harley's surgeries. We gave her a lovely home made card and a stethoscope that she was talking about in a previous conversation. I had it engraved with her name and my dogs names. She moved to Queensland, and we were sad to see her go.

I have so much respect for the vets and the vet nurses that I have met, there's no way I could do their job.

Nominations now open for the 8th Dog Owners Choice Awards - Great way to make your vet and vet nurse feel appreciated Link

It said server not found. I'm not sure if that's a problem with my computer or your link but just thought I'd let you know.