Vent: Why Do People Get A Pup Without Really Thinking It Over

Scottsmum

Where oh where, was the responsible breeder when this pup was sold to such an unsuitable home? Why wasn't the breeder asking "how much time will you have to devote to the dog" and "what will you do with the pup when you are at work all day"

.............and quite a lot of other questions to ascertain whether these people should have a pup.

Until ALL breeders are responsible for what they sell, this scenario will continue. Sometimes, no matter how many questions you ask,you can still sell to a lemon, but not all that often.

So, where was the breeder?

Incidentally -- That's a gorgeous cocker spaniel. I hope he finds a home soon. Poor darling. I wonder if anyone has contacted the breeder?

Edited by Jed

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand people who do this. I see many, and by many, I mean, at least 2-3 people a day in the city, who own corgis, huskies, japanese spitz etc (the "pretty" dogs) who are talking about how they are going back overseas!! It's not my place to say anything to them, but the owners are always students and seems like they only get their dogs for the time they are staying for their studies. It's so sad how people arent committed to the dog for its entire lifetime, and only in the puppy stage

I dont understand people who do this. I see many, and by many, I mean, at least 2-3 people a day in the city, who own corgis, huskies, japanese spitz etc (the "pretty" dogs) who are talking about how they are going back overseas!! It's not my place to say anything to them, but the owners are always students and seems like they only get their dogs for the time they are staying for their studies. It's so sad how people arent committed to the dog for its entire lifetime, and only in the puppy stage

The rescue I got Sarah through had a pom cross that was handed from international student to international student when they finished their studies and went home. She was surrendered to the rescue at nearly 4 years old. Very sad, she had spent most of her life outside as well.

Do they tell you they're not taking the dog with them? I know people who have gone back overseas as well and the dog has gone with them.

What has annoyed me recently (in addition to the above attitudes) are those who get a dog, don't train the dog, are deaf to suggestions until they escalate to very loud and annoyed comments and criticisms about the need to control the dog and train the dog, who then suggest that they would like to have another dog.

I think I offended someone recently like this who, over the past 12 months, has refused to contain and control her dog to the point that it runs off-leash, sees mine, and barrels straight at their faces. I know it wants to play, but mine don't like it and it doesn't listen to calming signals, growls, snarls, barking and being pinned to the ground. It just comes back for more, and my dogs are leashed so all that happened was mine became increasingly leash reactive. We have more or less solved the problem by my having to text ahead when I'm approaching the park she's usually at so she can try to catch her dog before I walk through. And it isn't a leash-free area.

Then I saw her when Ben was with us. Her dog was leashed, but wild, so I kept walking away till she got it under control. She then asked about Ben and said that she'd be happy to take him on if I was going to rehome him. I'm afraid my response may have been blunt bordering on rude, but why would I be prepared to rehome a dog who I have grown very attached to to a home where obviously little or no time or attention was given to the existing dog? And no thought is given to the need to train the dog if only to protect other dogs from it?

Apparently she's waiting for the brain to grow in her dog (it's just turned 2, so presumably when it matures completely). I've not had the heart to tell her that brains grow only alongside consistent training, interaction and time. Maturity alone won't do it.

Sorry. Rant over.

If that wasn't so sad that would be hilarious Brandiandwe. Geez.... what are some folks thing????

No idea. One dog good, two dogs better perhaps.

She's always astonished that I manage to walk three (now four) greyhounds at once without issue, but when I tell her what I've done and how much work and training have gone into my girls particularly to settle them down and make them responsive to me, she just shrugs and tells me that her dog just won't listen so what's the point? So she exercises it by letting it run off-leash not by spending the many many hours and many many kms I've had to wish dogs on leash walking and training and walking and training until I've got where I have (free-range cats notwithstanding). I think she things I've got some sort of magic trick I use rather than considering that it was very careful breed choice, careful choice of dogs, and a couple of years of consistent, devoted training. Mine won't win obedience trials and aren't perfect, but I try hard.

So, no. Not rehoming a dog there (if at all :D ), and attempting to avoid at all costs these days.

What really gets to me to is when a couple have a dog before any children come along & the dog is treated like part of the family. Allowed inside, walked, goes to training etc etc. & very much loved. Then the first child comes along. the poor dog is no longer allowed inside nor do they have time to walk/interact with the dog. Dog if left to it's own devices pretty much apart from getting feed. Not gradually introduced to new bub but told to keep away & yelled at because pup barks at the back door for attention. Baby starts to crawl around inside on the floor. Gradually one day out of curiosity I guess pulls herself up on screen door & dog goes straight for baby. Trying to bite her through wire screen door. Now who's fault is that??? Who paid the price???

You guessed it... Poor dog was PTS :cry: ... "Can't have a dog attacking our baby girl" ... :( ERRRRRRR

What really gets to me to is when a couple have a dog before any children come along & the dog is treated like part of the family. Allowed inside, walked, goes to training etc etc. & very much loved. Then the first child comes along. the poor dog is no longer allowed inside nor do they have time to walk/interact with the dog. Dog if left to it's own devices pretty much apart from getting feed. Not gradually introduced to new bub but told to keep away & yelled at because pup barks at the back door for attention. Baby starts to crawl around inside on the floor. Gradually one day out of curiosity I guess pulls herself up on screen door & dog goes straight for baby. Trying to bite her through wire screen door. Now who's fault is that??? Who paid the price???

You guessed it... Poor dog was PTS :cry: ... "Can't have a dog attacking our baby girl" ... :( ERRRRRRR

I'm looking forward to having kids so I can spend more time at home with the dogs :p

The pup has chewed a freaking great hold in the back deck and has now been baby gated off the deck all together. So not only is she outside - she's banished to the yard. Because... I assume she's a bored lab puppy.

Does this poor pup have any shelter at all? as their Duty of Care means that they have to provide "appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area. I would be reporting them if she has no shelter. I would also be having a discussion with them on returning to Breeder if she was purchased from a responsible, eithical Lab breeder or convincing them to contact either "Labradog Rescue" or "Rescue A Labrador" to surrender/turn the pup over to them to adopt out. Poor baby, makes me sick to the stomach reading of cases like this. :mad

My most recent Lab rescue, is a 6½ year old boy who spent his whole life outside on acreage and then when his family separated, none of them wanted him as obviously they had not bonded with him, out of sight, out of mind mentality :( , but at least they did do the right thing by him in trying to find him a home and he ended up being surrendered to one of the Labrador rescues from which I adopted him. He loves being inside with me and my other Lab boy and has made himself right at home and loves being up on the couch and sleeping on nice warm dog beds around the house :) Labs are very closely bonding dogs and do not do well relegated to the outside as garden ornaments :mad

When I was working in a pound we had international students come in quite often time to surrender dogs, usually because they were going home for a holiday. Some even said that when they were back in Australia they would come and adopt another dog....ummm no you won't. No clue.

My most recent Lab rescue, is a 6½ year old boy who spent his whole life outside on acreage and then when his family separated, none of them wanted him as obviously they had not bonded with him, out of sight, out of mind mentality :( , but at least they did do the right thing by him in trying to find him a home and he ended up being surrendered to one of the Labrador rescues from which I adopted him. He loves being inside with me and my other Lab boy and has made himself right at home and loves being up on the couch and sleeping on nice warm dog beds around the house :) Labs are very closely bonding dogs and do not do well relegated to the outside as garden ornaments :mad

That's super for him.

I wish you both years of happiness.

HUGS

:hug:

The pup has chewed a freaking great hold in the back deck and has now been baby gated off the deck all together. So not only is she outside - she's banished to the yard. Because... I assume she's a bored lab puppy.

Does this poor pup have any shelter at all? as their Duty of Care means that they have to provide "appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area. I would be reporting them if she has no shelter. I would also be having a discussion with them on returning to Breeder if she was purchased from a responsible, eithical Lab breeder or convincing them to contact either "Labradog Rescue" or "Rescue A Labrador" to surrender/turn the pup over to them to adopt out. Poor baby, makes me sick to the stomach reading of cases like this. :mad

Yep. Shes got a kennel etc down under the deck in a draft and weather proof area.

Urgh. Seem to be surrounded by it at the moment!

We're on an odd battle axe block which means we share a fence with at least 4 others.

Then 2 nights ago I got home after Hubby and he said that a new dog had been barking all evening -I commented I'd seen 2 new kennels and we assumed it was coming from there. We noticed last night they've put a big construction fence up along the back of their (very large) yard - it appears they're keeping at least one dog behind the fence.

Today I'm home sick and same thing - constant barking. They know there's a probelm - I saw one of the guys telling it to "shut the F%*k up" earlier today.

Will drop an anonymous note in their letter box (they don't strike me as the nicest people) if it keeps up. Sound echos badly around here - its doing my head in. Hope its only temporary.

On that note - Just call me Mrs BusyBody or Esme Watson :D

edited.

Edited by Scottsmum