Worrying Trend In The Show Ring

I will say I have heard show people who do performance sports say they normally leave an extra kilo on their BCs if they are showing them in the show ring as against just trialling them and you do hear talk of show weight v performance weight. Maybe dogs in proper working condition are seemingly penalized in the show ring otherwise why such a comment.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just again with the different structures.

I don't have many photos taken from above, and he may not be perfect show standard, but this is my show bred lab at what looks like a similar weight to the OPs lab.

This is not a healthy dog. This is one week on the mend after he surprised us by putting on weight just before the date we were going to put him down, he's about 26kgs in this photo, he was down to 21. He is still severely underweight in this photo

post-44325-0-16055800-1402299125_thumb.jpg

This is him at his healthy weight 4 years later at 11 years of age. 36kgs.

post-44325-0-40343700-1402299134_thumb.jpg

The body shape is completely different, So I don't think you can compare the different types of labs.

I've got Dalmatian and when I was just showing I was told to put weight on Cleo, and yes she did look a bit better with some more weight on her (20kg to 22kg, was not a huge difference for her) and then I started agility and was told to slim her down.

That first lab from Westminster looks a lot like our old lab, who yes is quite heavy but is not carrying a lot of fat when you look at ribs.

I run my dogs around 500gms fatter in the show ring verses the dog sport ring. If I am doing both I show them at the leaner weight. Some judges don't like it, I don't like fat dogs. Their is muscley, fit lean and solid then there is fat. Two totally different things. A Lab can be 30+ kgs of muscle or 30 +kgs of fat and no muscle

I will say I have heard show people who do performance sports say they normally leave an extra kilo on their BCs if they are showing them in the show ring as against just trialling them and you do hear talk of show weight v performance weight. Maybe dogs in proper working condition are seemingly penalized in the show ring otherwise why such a comment.

I've never heard this comment in almost 20 years of showing Border Collies. Everyone I know wants their Borders in hard working condition whether it's showing or performance. Our dogs are NEVER penalised for being fit. I don't agree with that comment at all

Well thats good to hear I will certainly defer to you benshiva. It was more just what I heard and I also think it was only a kilo or so difference so we aren't talking "overweight". More akin with OSS's example of showing her whippets 500grms heavier then when keeping them at performance weight.

You can't compare types, although my girl is from mainly show lines as well, but you don't need to if you're just judging body condition.

I don't believe labs need a layer of fat on them unless living in the most extreme conditions. Even working labradors in canada and the US who do jump into freezing water as a matter of routine are of an athletic type and condition.

This dog is more "strongly" built and probably fits the standard better than my female but to me still actually looks athletic and fit.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=65594

perhaps there are some that need to look up the definition of "short coupled" and what it means in terms of a dogs construction. You don't get that tucked in loin look in a short coupled dog, you won't see that in a dog that is short coupled, unless it's emaciated.

Agreed I also don't think that people either know or care to understand the standard.

Add to that the fact they are short coupled and expected to be broad through chest, over the loin and hind quarter, you are never going to see the racey look that people are expecting, except in an animal that is not correct.

Even worse if you show your dog under a judge who does not 'get' the standard. May as well withdraw.

Unless there is no space between the end of the ribs and the hips then it is possible for every dog to have a tucked in waist to some degree. It may be more or less pronounced in different types and breeds

post-31284-0-57850200-1402301956_thumb.jpg

The dog on the left in a show (and retrieving) champion from the 1960's. He has many features previously mentioned:BROAD, DEEP, WIDE, BARREL RIBS, STRONG and also actually looks like an athletic, fit water dog. Like many breeds, I guess the lab is just becoming more extreme in certain areas.

This is my BYB Lab at around age 4 - in prime condition and just the way I like her to be.

EOS2009_01_24028.jpg

Still looks very much the same but a bit more "solid" now at age 8... and weighs in at 26-27kg.

25-11-2012-pool143.jpg

I'd like to see some of the Labs I've seen in the showring (admittedly I've only seen them at the Sydney Royal) just a bit leaner looking - like this gorgeous looking girl...

11-04-2014-tapua-easter-show266.jpg

T.

This is my BYB Lab at around age 4 - in prime condition and just the way I like her to be.

EOS2009_01_24028.jpg

Still looks very much the same but a bit more "solid" now at age 8... and weighs in at 26-27kg.

25-11-2012-pool143.jpg

I'd like to see some of the Labs I've seen in the showring (admittedly I've only seen them at the Sydney Royal) just a bit leaner looking - like this gorgeous looking girl...

11-04-2014-tapua-easter-show266.jpg

T.

They're lovely dogs :thumbsup:

I hear this all the time from people I teach, both with BC's and other breeds. It drives me nuts!

awesome if you like your Labs with a lack of balance, dippy topline, flat feet, upright shoulders but that's generally what happens when you get one from a BYBer, they aren't bred to the standard

That's a bit rude isn't it?

A dog can be good looking, fit, happy and healthy even if it is not a perfect show dog.

Even purebred registered dogs produce puppies that aren't exactly to standard. That's what limited reg and pet homes are for right?

I take it you don't like the yellow show dog at the bottom of the pics. Personally I think she is lovely.

The 3rd photo is NOT my dog, but a lovely young girl from quite sought after lines...

Most people don't believe that MY girl is a Lab... because she's not FAT... scary! Do people realise how much work goes into keeping a Labrador trim? Mine would eat her own bodyweight in food if I let her... *grin*

I'm not saying my Lab is a good example of the breed standard - but more of an illustration of the LACK of extra weight seen on so many of them - even in the showring (IMHO).

T.