Worrying Trend In The Show Ring

Getting back to the labrador breed - I have seen some labs ringside at shows that were like jabba the hut - no muscle going on there at all... but I have a question, were these 'traditional labs' required to jump over logs etc or was it mostly flat ground and swimming?

They where used by the fisherman ,they replaced the Newfoundland due to being a smaller dog but the helped with bringing in the nets & helping catch fish that fell of the hooks etc etc.

As for muscle tone i think that can be very deceiving & unless you can touch the dog .Our bowen lady will also tell you that that what you feel is different to what you see & that bulking thighs doesn't mean quality condition all round

Edited by showdog

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like a lot of breeds this one has also become more extreme.

which one's and by more extreme what do you mean and is it to the detriment of the breed or the individual dog ?

From what I've seen of past dogs in the lab breed and dogs in the breed today (talking showlines) the labs tend be much shorter, heavier and chunkier than the dogs of old. Hence they have become more extreme in the description of the standard. But that's just my opinion.

which one's and by more extreme what do you mean and is it to the detriment of the breed or the individual dog ?

From what I've seen of past dogs in the lab breed and dogs in the breed today (talking showlines) the labs tend be much shorter, heavier and chunkier than the dogs of old. Hence they have become more extreme in the description of the standard. But that's just my opinion.

you said " like a lot of breeds", do you care to explain which one's and what you feel is now extreme about them and if it's to the detriment of the breed or individual?

I copped it from the general public with the Pointers, especially Clarkie who was super fit and very lean.

Get it all the time with the Whippets and had a member of the public refer to my IG as " a poor unfortunate stick creature"

Oh that Clarkie is still super fit and lean - crazy kid - age won't stop him.

Trends in breeds are just that, trends, they come and go at a whim and the breeders that breed for them tend to fall off the back when the trend passes.

The Labrador in the OP is what I would expect to see in a Labrador.

you said " like a lot of breeds", do you care to explain which one's and what you feel is now extreme about them and if it's to the detriment of the breed or individual?

GSDs and their back legs for example. That is to the detriment of the whole showline.

GSDs and their back legs for example. That is to the detriment of the whole showline.

I find that rather interesting as there are numerous being scored at 0/0 in elbow and very low in the hips, so I'm not sure how you think their "back legs" are a detriment to the whole show line.

I find that rather interesting as there are numerous being scored at 0/0 in elbow and very low in the hips, so I'm not sure how you think their "back legs" are a detriment to the whole show line.

lol, you're joking right? You make me laugh.

so just what is the problem and how is it to their detriment ? I would be expecting to see horrendous hip scores and elbow scores if there were such a major problem with construction.

It's an interesting and common discussion on the Doberman forum I am on, looking at the difference between European show line and North American show line dogs, vs working line dogs. I enjoy following the discussion, though don't have a lot to add! These are all impressive dogs who have done very well in the area they compete in, though are all quite different.

Fedor Del Nasi

Fedor-main.jpg

Foxfire All Star

Jet%20ad%2012-07b1.jpg

Harlequin Gumby

zbfhE0Vlg-Ce017VOWv57hcDWYoaUPjasY16g545SYw,.jpg#3b68a0f8af00f92542f53aa656f839c2;jpeg;;49_;1

so just what is the problem and how is it to their detriment ? I would be expecting to see horrendous hip scores and elbow scores if there were such a major problem with construction.

Why does their have to be a working line if the showline is able to perform the duty just as well? Oh yeah, they can't because they can't walk properly. That's my piece. You say whatever you feel you need to say. i won't change my mind. have a nice night :)

Why does their have to be a working line if the showline is able to perform the duty just as well? Oh yeah, they can't because they can't walk properly. That's my piece. You say whatever you feel you need to say. i won't change my mind. have a nice night :)

really that's all you have to say on the subject. Hardly worth commenting on if that's your expert opinion and that's all you can come up with. I would have expected a little more from someone in the know. Maybe a few descriptive sentences about what the problems might be when it comes to conformation, perhaps a little anatomical talk.

The rather obvious answer is because different fanciers of the breed want different things from their dogs. In a dog with the numbers the GSD has, there is room for a few type variations.

Temperament is one rather obvious difference between show and working lines and I'm sure those who fancy the working line dogs would be the first to agree that the WL dogs are not suitable for everyone.

Can anyone tell me a good reason why there can only be one intepretation of type within a breed? Gawd, even in Whippets we have variations on type.

No one seems to have hissy fits with halter and running Quarter horses, with halter and endurance Arabs and with the various types of Welsh Mountain ponies. What's the big deal?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

really that's all you have to say on the subject. Hardly worth commenting on if that's your expert opinion and that's all you can come up with. I would have expected a little more from someone in the know. Maybe a few descriptive sentences about what the problems might be when it comes to conformation, perhaps a little anatomical talk.

I like to keep you on your toes. You never know what to expect. *disappears in a puff of smoke*