Worrying Trend In The Show Ring

Tapua, what were the ages of your gorgeous girls when those pics were taken, as in fairness we cannot compare pups/youngsters to fully developed matured adults and it would be very helpful to know their ages at time pics taken. I know first hand the big changes that occur during a Labrador's development to maturity and of course the difference in sizes between females and males :)

Both bitches are just under 18 months the blacks photo was taken in 2013 Kura was taken this Sydney Royal. Daffy Dog also took 1st open bitch this year at 3 years old this year this is Daffy dog. More English in type with the typical chest development. Daffy whelped a litter in August 2012 her daughter took 2nd in the puppy class.

post-27124-0-82052200-1402615353_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tapua

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tapua, your dogs look perfect.

LOL :thanks: Dame Aussie their weight is perfect IMO but not in conformation I'd like to tweek things on all my bitches I am hoping my boy will improve what I think is lacking. But he is just a baby he has no idea he has a harem waiting for him he is too busy chasing balls and retrieving his dummy. lol Big doofus little does he know.... just about to get his hips/elbows done next week.

post-27124-0-78804100-1402615999_thumb.jpg

They are very cute labradore! I think your older boy is more similar to my dog in type. With the other one, this is a dog I'd have to touch in person to condition score, but I don't think he's overweight at a glance. He has a lovely happy face :)

Tks for your honest assessment and yes he is a very happy boy :)

Labadore your boy looks gorgeous, handsome face smile.gif I don't have any photos on this computer of my boy before he got sick, but in peak condition he had a similar body type.

The closest I have of him being 'healthy" is this photo. Keep in mind he had muscle wastage in the head from previous IBD flare ups and consequent drugs, and muscle wastage in the hind from DM embarrass.gif He was 10 in this, about 5 months before he passed.

post-44325-0-90491600-1402572737_thumb.jpg

Tks and I agree your gorgeous boy's body shape is very similar to my boy's and sorry you lost your gorgeous boy at 10, I lost one of my beautiful Lab boy's at same age to Cancer :(

I found Labadore's photos interesting because at first glance I thought 'too fat'. Which REALLY serves notice to me about how much my eye has been educated by my breed, greyhounds. So all the points on the body I use to check my dogs for weight and condition (hip bones, spine, ribs, tuck) as well as visible muscle (short thin coat) are missing because I'm not looking at a greyhound or other sighthound so he can't be judged by me on that basis. So my eye is lost and I'm left with wanting to touch him to feel for muscle tone, ribs.

He's lovely though!

Tks for your honest assessment and you make some interesting points. I have been guilty of looking at Greyhounds and Whippets and thinking they need a good feed :laugh: but I know that is not correct as that is their correct shape and I am by no means knowledgeable on these breeds. Having Labs now for many many years, my eye has definitely been educated and influenced by my breed, so I can easily understand how at first glance you would think my boy "too fat" :)

Tapua, what were the ages of your gorgeous girls when those pics were taken, as in fairness we cannot compare pups/youngsters to fully developed matured adults and it would be very helpful to know their ages at time pics taken. I know first hand the big changes that occur during a Labrador's development to maturity and of course the difference in sizes between females and males :)

Both bitches are just under 18 months the blacks photo was taken in 2013 Kura was taken this Sydney Royal. Daffy Dog also took 1st open bitch this year at 3 years old this year this is Daffy dog. More English in type with the typical chest development. Daffy whelped a litter in August 2012 her daughter took 2nd in the puppy class.

Tks for clarification on your gorgeous youngster's ages and tks for posting pic of your gorgeous Daffy (love her name), great to see a closeup pic of a matured Lab bitch :thumbsup:

LOL :thanks: Dame Aussie their weight is perfect IMO but not in conformation I'd like to tweek things on all my bitches I am hoping my boy will improve what I think is lacking. But he is just a baby he has no idea he has a harem waiting for him he is too busy chasing balls and retrieving his dummy. lol Big doofus little does he know.... just about to get his hips/elbows done next week.

Love your gorgeous black boy, will be interested to see his development to maturity :)

Tks for clarification on your gorgeous youngster's ages and tks for posting pic of your gorgeous Daffy (love her name), great to see a closeup pic of a matured Lab bitch :thumbsup:

Love your gorgeous black boy, will be interested to see his development to maturity :)

Yep hoping his brain matures soon too lol such a goose but I love him :) he is bred by Anne O'Conner.

[greyhounds were originally hunters, not racers.

I like reading history. And it's fascinating how greyhounds were highly valued in Middle Ages, and beyond, as hunters. Their pictures in the art are lovely... showing them out hunting and being well looked after.

It seems every effort was made to keep the breed pure. Great article here:

http://doglawreporter.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/good-life-of-medieval-hunting-dog.html

Edited by mita

Just a bit of Lab history did you know that Labs were originally used to retrieve fishing line off boats and that they have webbed feet. Known as the Lesser Newfoundland they were discovered by an English Lord who thought their retrieval skills and biddable nature would make them into good gundogs. Which is why they are mostly known as Gundogs. The breed and the standard was developed in the UK and the preferred colour was black & chocolate though often the chocolates were culled ( yes I do mean put down) and the yellows were a separate registration which I think was unified into 1 breed in the 1950s I think. Of course we know about their service dog/assistance dog skills. Falling more & more in love with this breed every day. :)

:thumbsup:

Just a bit of Lab history did you know that Labs were originally used to retrieve fishing line off boats and that they have webbed feet.

:thumbsup:

Actually, they were used in the days before the invention of barbed hooks. Their job was to catch cod that slipped off a hook line. They probably helped with hunting in the woods, hauling wood, and other shore-side chores. With the invention of the barbed hook, they became obsolete, hence the ancestral breed, sadly, more or less died out in Newfoundland. (see Richard Wolters book on the Labrador . . . Wolters went back to Newfoundland and managed to trace down a few elderly dogs from the original fishing lines.)