Susan Garrett Recallers Online Course

it would be so much more pleasant to carry a tug toy around in my pocket than some treats.

Yes! Can't wait for that to happen :p

and I have played the hide and seek game a couple of times, again it works best when I get home from work. but I'm slowly getting a better and longer tug out of both of them

I am throwing in a couple of old commands in there as well like sit, drop, spin, rollover with our play tug sessions so they start to see the tug as a reward

I've also pinned OH down for a training session this afternoon, need to get him understanding the IYC way of live. No matter how many times I've told him not to tell the dogs to sit before putting their dinner down he keeps doing it

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great brags :thumbsup:

Em was steady as a rock all weekend (in the hide is her weakness) and worked her little butt off. Top scored an All Age run for the first time (*faints*) on Saturday (and bombed out stylishly in the next run) and did 3 tough runs (3 retrieves each run) to finish the trial on Sunday (which is awesome). There was a classic IYC moment on Sunday - had she made the wrong choice it would have put us out of the trial!

it would be so much more pleasant to carry a tug toy around in my pocket than some treats.

Yes! Can't wait for that to happen :p

and I have played the hide and seek game a couple of times, again it works best when I get home from work. but I'm slowly getting a better and longer tug out of both of them

I am throwing in a couple of old commands in there as well like sit, drop, spin, rollover with our play tug sessions so they start to see the tug as a reward

I've also pinned OH down for a training session this afternoon, need to get him understanding the IYC way of live. No matter how many times I've told him not to tell the dogs to sit before putting their dinner down he keeps doing it

Yay for tugging progress!

Yep, you really have to get the whole family on board don't you? That can be hard. The kids have been helping me heaps with the games at home which has been fantastic, but they still struggle with translating these things into every day life, and husband is still learning too :)

Great brags :thumbsup:

Em was steady as a rock all weekend (in the hide is her weakness) and worked her little butt off. Top scored an All Age run for the first time (*faints*) on Saturday (and bombed out stylishly in the next run) and did 3 tough runs (3 retrieves each run) to finish the trial on Sunday (which is awesome). There was a classic IYC moment on Sunday - had she made the wrong choice it would have put us out of the trial!

Woohoo! Way to go :thumbsup:

Well I'm a few game days behind now but will start playing catch up tomorrow. Meant to say that I continued to do recalls all weekend and found that Zig responds really well to "come" and not so well to "Ziggy" whilst Em responds really well to "Emmy" and not so well to "come". Em is checking in more often so I do multiple nose touches for checking in so she gets something. She has learnt not to bother about running when I call "Ziggy" so interesting to see where the value is. Em needs work when she is out of sight of me - I think that is her 10.

Well we had no passes at our Geelong trial.

But I had the best and most focussed heeling I have ever had from Waldo.

Strangely Waldo sat and did not drop on Distance Control in both trials.

I was totally bewildered with his stays though. I can't remember Waldo breaking any stay, in training or trials ever breaking a stay (apart from when a dog just about jumped on him and we had a repeat go) but he walked out of the ring with me on both days. He was totally out of it. On Sunday he was so scared he peed all over my shoe when he reached me. And yet he was as happy as in the ring!

He nailed the drop on recall and dumbbell retrieves. Best ever. Highly driven recalls.

So I was over the moon with most of it and totally bewildered with the stays and Distance Control.

1405333555[/url]' post='6523717']

Sue - so many positives :thumbsup:

Sometimes I find my dogs display their most inexplicable behaviours when they are working through an understanding of their 'job.' I tend to go back to basics and rebuild confidence.

I was more bewildered and we will be going back to basics. I have never seen him fearful. No idea what it was.

The stays and distance work are away from the recall reinforcement zone , so that could be it ? He wants to be close to the lady that pays? In agility, and I assume obedience too , you have the reinforcement zone near you , but you also need to reinforce away from you as you want them to do this comfortably. It might just be one of those temporary things as he plays more of these games he's going to want to be close . Maybe add some distance games to introduce more balance

1405334998[/url]' post='6523744']

The stays and distance work are away from the recall reinforcement zone , so that could be it ? He wants to be close to the lady that pays? In agility, and I assume obedience too , you have the reinforcement zone near you , but you also need to reinforce away from you as you want them to do this comfortably. It might just be one of those temporary things as he plays more of these games he's going to want to be close . Maybe add some distance games to introduce more balance

Very good thought. I did wonder. Two food game is one I do a lot. Any others?

I'm not an obedience person , but I've seen uta bindel place rewards on a plate behind the dog for distance work , so they move away to get the reward. You need to make sure they can't break and get to it (so a sealed container or remote trainer works well ). That way, you're there to open the container so you're still the lady that pays.

Yes, for change of position I love using the bait plate - Sue, there is a video on my YouTube doing this with Zig - I think it's called The Spotted Devil Himself. There is a funny bit at the start where he anticipates the drop and races off to self reward at the bait plate - because I have a massive party with my dogs if they occasionally make an error and take the food, the lack of "party" takes all the fun out of it. For DOR I love 2 food game. For stays I think crate games is invaluable as well as lots of steady feet game. Oh and out of sight stays can be mind blowing in a trial.

********** Alert *********

R5 Coaching call "Live training session" announced.

6:30pm Toronto Canada time on Saturday 19th or

8am Adelaide time on Sunday

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Remember when posting question - good idea to type it up in notepad first and then paste it in - make sure your core question is the first line and simple and clear.

SG is dyslexic and will lose focus if you write an essay with a question somewhere in the middle.

Sometimes they have an interactive chat going and you can post extra stuff there if you're watching live.

And if you didn't notice the announcement - please follow the "announcement group" and/or "Mandy Pilgrim".

Thanks so much for posting those alerts Mrs Rusty Bucket!

Sounds like there's been some real world wins as well! Not so much here, though I'm sure we're making small steps! But there's some really fun games this week and even if they're not 100% spot on we're still getting lots of laughs!!

The find my face was particularly a crack up. One dog LOVED it and she's very affectionate and big on kisses. My boy though wasn't coming near me. When I looked up he was mirroring me exactly with head down and bum up and I laughed so hard - he didn't get it at all!

********** Alert *********

R5 Coaching call "Live training session" announced.

6:30pm Toronto Canada time on Saturday 19th or

8am Adelaide time on Sunday

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Remember when posting question - good idea to type it up in notepad first and then paste it in - make sure your core question is the first line and simple and clear.

SG is dyslexic and will lose focus if you write an essay with a question somewhere in the middle.

Sometimes they have an interactive chat going and you can post extra stuff there if you're watching live.

And if you didn't notice the announcement - please follow the "announcement group" and/or "Mandy Pilgrim".

Thanks for posting the reminder Mrs RB. That should be 8.30am on Sunday for those of us in Melb/Syd.

Max, LAUGHS is what it should be all about :thumbsup:

I did restrained recalls today - Em is really good at them and just about leapt out of Mr TSD's arms. Zig is very polite but still runs hard. I remember ages ago when Em was really polite so there's hope for him yet :laugh: Em came into season so perfect time to keep both dogs occupied. And she was absolutely SILENT in the crate :eek:

I will skip Hide N Seek as I just do that when they are puppies so tomorrow will be PB&J. My dogs do a lot of hand touches so I will refine that and catch up on the new games over the weekend.